Alloy Side Stand - Thanks To Gig

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Well thanks to Gig for starting me off on this, he happened to confirm info another friend told me that the CBR1000RR stands are alloy & that he had bought one to try on his 5th gen.

So with some starter info, I decide I would follow suit & bought a complete secondhand almost new stand from a bike that was turned into a race bike. Now due to the mounting holes not being the same, Gig, used the 800 mount & CBR stand. I decided I'd try to use the CBR mount, so set to work.

Parts required CBR1000RR (08-14) side stand complete. The tools for the job & a piece of 60x21x21mm alloy block.

So using the CBR mount has some issues, if you don't have a centre stand its an easy swap.

The stand switch is on the back of the stand & is plug in at the switch so if you keep that you may need the CBR switch wiring. I don't use the switch, so over to you on that one.

There is a threaded lug on the left of the mount for a bolt, I cut this off flush, so I didn't have to remove much fairing.

The other issue is the spring for the stand will rub on the centre stand when down if you do it. It's fine when the centre stand is up, not really an issue.

Also the springs & pivot interferes with the very end of the left fairing panel, so you have to chop an inch off the very end by the stand.

So the lower bolt of the 800 stand can be reused for the left hole on the CBR bracket.

Will look like this;-

post-24524-0-03805900-1407846661.jpg

With the stand in the down position you need to cut & shape the alloy block to fit between the upper bolt on the cushion & the right hole of the stand. Drill 10mm holes on 36mm centres. equal distance from each end, then shape block like this, angled on the back to clear the cushion, straight across on the other side;-

post-24524-0-10629200-1407846420.jpg

You will need an M10x1.25 (or 1.5)mm bolt (35mm long) and nut to suit.

Now bolt it up like this, remember to use thread lock;-

post-24524-0-99180400-1407846750.jpg

So bike on stand will look like this;-

post-24524-0-44734400-1407846946.jpg

And if you add nice new Ti bolts/nuts it looks like this;-

post-24524-0-32005100-1407846991.jpg

Old stand plus bolts = 981grams

New stand plus bolts = 515grams

Saving = 466grams or 16.6oz, or just over a pound of weight.

Have fun :)

post-24524-0-92372900-1407846815.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just for the hell of it & to save a little weight :) You are obviously not aware of the 30Kg I have taken off the weight of this bike, every little helps :)

Just for the hell of it & to save a little weight :) You are obviously not aware of the 30Kg I have taken off the weight of this bike, every little helps :)

cool, i'll go ahead and steal the kickstand from my brother's '08 CBR1000RR after he leaves for vacation :beer:

hmmm, I also wonder what else might have you done to take those 30kg off? I've always been curious about what can be done to make this 520lb tank a little lighter :offtopic:

• Member Contributer

Do a search for my posts & or "10 year refresh" threads. But a quick recap is as follows;-

Carbon front wheel, vtr1000 fork lowers, cbr929 brakes, wavey discs, ti wheel spindle, ti nuts/bolts all round = -4.5Kg unsprung weight

Carbon rear wheel, vfr400 rear axle/brakes, custom cush drive, single brake line, ti/alloy bolts all round = -7Kg unsprung weight

Alloy & Ti bolts to replace most around the bike & engine, PAIR & linked brake removal, removal of surplus brackets = -6Kg

Light weight end can = -4Kg

Lighter weight headers = -3.5Kg

Coil on Plug conversion = -1Kg

Custom silicone hoses with alloy pipe work & electric water pump, = -.5Kg (silicone is heavier than Rubber !)

Custom Ti swingarm pivot & some major bolts = -1Kg

Coolant tank replacement = -.75Kg

Plus some other random parts = -2Kg

----------------------------------------------------

Total = -30Kg for a full wet weight inc full fuel tank of 214Kg measured.

oh well, thanks none of these sounds affordable to me

all (or at least most) of these mods are out of my "student-tight" budget, I kinda like the mods that falls within the price range of: free - $20 :happy:

• Member Contributer

oh well, thanks none of these sounds affordable to me

all (or at least most) of these mods are out of my "student-tight" budget, I kinda like the mods that falls within the price range of: free - $20 :happy:

Then you should skip a meal or two, pocket the $avings and reduce weight... :goofy:

Then you should skip a meal or two, pocket the $avings and reduce weight... :goofy:

that's the only mod I've done so far (and the cheapest), dropped 30lb in the past 6 months :woohoo: , wonder if feeding my bike less fuel would also work? :idea3:

• Member Contributer

My first thought in using this side stand was the added half inch in length, which if you have raised the rear end, is needed. The new alloy side stand for only $80.00 an added bonus. Thanks Mohawk for all your help

msg-23210-0-34583900-1407542976.jpg

msg-23210-0-19175800-1407542789.jpg

• Member Contributer

oh yes! Another mod!

I will have to see if this can be done on a 4th gen too!!! :beer:

It can be done, but make sure that the aluminum stand can take the weight of the VFR.

The replacement aluminum stand should be noicably beefier than the steel one it replaces. Remember, aluminum is softer, and more prone to crack when flexed too much, which can happen with a sidestand if it's not designed beefy enough..

I'm wondering if Titanium might be a better choice for replacing the sidestand?

Another area where a 4th (& 3rd, I suspect) gen can lose heavy steel is the lower triple clamp......

• Member Contributer

Do a search for my posts & or "10 year refresh" threads. But a quick recap is as follows;-

Carbon front wheel, vtr1000 fork lowers, cbr929 brakes, wavey discs, ti wheel spindle, ti nuts/bolts all round = -4.5Kg unsprung weight

Carbon rear wheel, vfr400 rear axle/brakes, custom cush drive, single brake line, ti/alloy bolts all round = -7Kg unsprung weight

Alloy & Ti bolts to replace most around the bike & engine, PAIR & linked brake removal, removal of surplus brackets = -6Kg

Custom silicone hoses with alloy pipe work & electric water pump, = -.5Kg (silicone is heavier than Rubber !)

All that for 30 kg. You're better off going on a diet and riding naked

• Member Contributer

All that for 30 kg. You're better off going on a diet and riding naked

Yeah, but you'ld still have a bike that weighs over 530 lbs...

getting it down to 214kg and more importantly the reduction in unsprung wieght will make a huge improvement in handling and performance!

Valid point but why not just buy a sport bike and save 50 kg out of the box?

and then spend about the same to shred 30kg of the already lighter sportbike :goofy:

no matter how light or powerful manufacturer's make their bikes. customers will always take an extra step to shred couple of pounds and/or gaining few hp, one can never have enough "power : weight" :comp13:

• Member Contributer

Actually, I'm wrong. I was being too cynical. It's actually really cool that someone would spend their time and money to do something unique or unconventional to improve or customise their bike.

Ignore me, carry on :)

• Member Contributer

show me the V4 sportsbike I can buy for $600 Canadian & I'll go buy it ! :) I just did 2600mile tour of Europe the VFR is a very comfortable bike for me & being a bit taller & older, a 600/1000cc pocket rockets are not comfortable for me over distance.

• Member Contributer

and then spend about the same to shred 30kg of the already lighter sportbike :goofy:

no matter how light or powerful manufacturer's make their bikes. customers will always take an extra step to shred couple of pounds and/or gaining few hp, one can never have enough "power : weight" :comp13:

Sorry, thought this was VFRD, where vfr owners shared there ideas, thoughts, and help to others.

• Member Contributer

That's a cool looking bolt on aluminum side stand...

Race bred sport bikes are either holding or dropping weight where as
the trend in Sport Touring bikes are gaining weight... so if you wish
to enjoy a light weight Sport Touring machine you're going to have go
it alone and modify it yourself because S/T riders don't complain
loud enough about weight for the manufactures to reverse the weight
gain trend you see in today's market... its a crying shame too because
a lighter motorcycle will generally perform better due to a superior
power to weight ratio and because, all else being equal, a lighter
motorcycle will generally handle better than a heavier one. In
high-performance motorcycles, lighter weight is associated with
advanced technology, good design, and more expensive and exotic
materials, while a motorcycle whose weight is greater than expected
can be perceived as lacking these good qualities...

I faithfully copied the stock steel stand in 7075 T6 aluminum in order
to drop weight and increase corner clearance (the stock steel stand
had already touched the highway 3 times) but every time I adjusted the
bike's ride height or added a rear tire of increased diameter I added
metal to the bottom of my stand to gain a normal kickstand lean
angle... currently Mr.RC45 is up 12mm to the base metal...

I sold another one for $500...
RC45SideStandComparo..JPG

RC45AluminumSideStand..JPG

I'm going shopping for a side stand...

Since i have no fairings, lightweight wheels,one rad instead of 2,and the usual streetfighter mods, I'm hoping i should be under 200kgs wet.

Another half kilo or so would be nice.

• Member Contributer

Which V4 Honda sport bike would you recommend?

• Member Contributer

RCV1000R

a 5th gen VFR800 with these mods: :goofy::goofy:

cf6FXUq.jpg

Archived