New Red Led Tail Lights... Ya Gotta Be Blind Not To See Me Stopping

• Member Contributer

You will need a diode kit for LED turn signals if the lights share their ground. If you don't your turn signals may act like flashers and both light up when you hit the turn signal switch

• Member Contributer

You will need a diode kit for LED turn signals if the lights share their ground. If you don't your turn signals may act like flashers and both light up when you hit the turn signal switch

Do you know if our bikes turn signals are that way?

• Member Contributer

You're riding so bright you got to wear shades with those easy to install LED...

Back in 02 I replaced twin tail light bulbs with dual round circuit boards of white LED... sourced

at WSB Laguna Seca...
LEDBulbs.jpg

Adapting the LED to center inside the existing housing requires some
mild fabrication but you're good at it and you don't mind the hours of
work because it feels like therapy tricking out your baby...
LEDbrackets.jpg

Behold LED tail lights...
PersonalPlate.jpg

Hit the stop lights and now you're really shinning.. in fact the
intensity hurts the eye...
RC45LEDStopLight.JPG

• Member Contributer

Do you know if our bikes turn signals are that way?

Sorry... I haven't done this mod on the VFR. My old Yamaha shared a ground that went through the dash indicator bulb that needed a diode to keep bleed through voltage from illuminating the other turn signal, not a problem with regular bulbs but it was with the low power LEDs. The VFR with individual dash indicator lights may not need this. Hopefully, someone who has done this mod will chime in...

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Rush. If I understand what it says in the description of the diode correctly, it would not be needed since our bikes have 2 indicator lights in the instrument cluster. :comp13:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did this tail lamp conversion to LED with the lamps that the OP suggested. I found them to be very bright. It is hard to quantify, but I do believe they are brighter. My main reason for conversion was for reliability and long bulb life.

I found it worth my time to just remove the tail section to install them. It was impossible for me to get the lower bulb installed with everything assembled. The LED lamp were just long enough to make it impossible for me to accomplish with the tail in place. (6th Gen)

• Member Contributer

FWIW...I very much like mine. I feel abit safer since they are so bright. I also did the turn signals & a few in the instrument cluster. I was planning to remove the tail section but did manage to twist & turn my hand & arm & get all 4 done with it in place. It would have been alot easier with it removed though. I'm just too stubborn sometimes to do things the easy way when it requires more work,

Does the 6th Gen have the tail light bulbs arranged one above the other & not side by side like with the 5th Gen?

• Member Contributer

Does the 6th Gen have the tail light bulbs arranged one above the other & not side by side like with the 5th Gen?

Yes, it does.

Thanks, Rush. If I understand what it says in the description of the diode correctly, it would not be needed since our bikes have 2 indicator lights in the instrument cluster. :comp13:

Yeah, on bikes with a single indicator (the Ninja 250 is one example), the indicator's wires run to the positive wire of each side's turn signal. When the left blinker is on, the indicator's left wire is + and the right wire is -. When the right blinker is on, the right wire is + and the left wire is -. The relatively large amount of juice needed for incandescent bulbs keeps the other side from lighting up. When you switch to more efficient LEDs, the tiny bit of power coming through the indicator is enough to make the other side light up also. The diode kit allows both sides' blinkers to supply power to the indicator without feeding back into the other side (the Y wire has diodes for one-way power flow to the indicator bulb, and the black wire is to ground the bulb's other contact).

Because the power flows both ways in the stock setup depending on which blinker is on, this also means you can't replace the indicator's incandescent bulb with an LED, because its polarization would only allow it to work one way or the other, not both.

Thanks, MarantzManiac.

Is there any problem with heat with these? Stock bulbs are 5 watt. These are 25 watt.

7443 bulbs are 5W on the low (tail light) filament, but 21-25W on the high (brake light) filament.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Okay, bringing this thread back from a few months ago.

I came across this thread after reading about changing out the brake light bulbs in the "Replacement Horn" thread. It seemed like a pretty good idea to improve one's visibility, so I ordered the LED's and installed them today. WOW!! Very much huge improvement!

Thanks a bunch MarantzManiac.

• Member Contributer

Okay, bringing this thread back from a few months ago.

I came across this thread after reading about changing out the brake light bulbs in the "Replacement Horn" thread. It seemed like a pretty good idea to improve one's visibility, so I ordered the LED's and installed them today. WOW!! Very much huge improvement!

Thanks a bunch MarantzManiac.

+1

• Member Contributer

Yeah, on bikes with a single indicator (the Ninja 250 is one example), the indicator's wires run to the positive wire of each side's turn signal. When the left blinker is on, the indicator's left wire is + and the right wire is -. When the right blinker is on, the right wire is + and the left wire is -. The relatively large amount of juice needed for incandescent bulbs keeps the other side from lighting up. When you switch to more efficient LEDs, the tiny bit of power coming through the indicator is enough to make the other side light up also. The diode kit allows both sides' blinkers to supply power to the indicator without feeding back into the other side (the Y wire has diodes for one-way power flow to the indicator bulb, and the black wire is to ground the bulb's other contact).

Because the power flows both ways in the stock setup depending on which blinker is on, this also means you can't replace the indicator's incandescent bulb with an LED, because its polarization would only allow it to work one way or the other, not both.

Thanks, MarantzManiac.

Is there any problem with heat with these? Stock bulbs are 5 watt. These are 25 watt.

7443 bulbs are 5W on the low (tail light) filament, but 21-25W on the high (brake light) filament.

mdk_diagram.jpg

?

Archived