Motorcyclist Collector's Issue. Sept 2014. Heads Up.

• Member Contributer

This will have to be added to the collection of old mags I have covering 3rd through 6th gen models when they were released.

This makes me wonder what Honda has on the drawing board right now for the 9th generation. Maybe - maybe - Honda will finally listen and give us the full liter V4 we've all wanted for so long (better be 90 degrees Honda - not 76 deg. like the motor in the 7th gen). If I were shopping now, this bike for $13,500 vs a very low mile 6th gen ABS for half the price - for me makes the 6th gen an easy decision. For me it's just not a $7,000 leap forward given it has essentially the same engine. If Honda made a full liter V4 with the new bike's styling, chain drive, etc, it would probably make me reach for my wallet. Toss in inverted forks and gear driven cams and I would be first in line at the dealership.

This will have to be added to the collection of old mags I have covering 3rd through 6th gen models when they were released.

This makes me wonder what Honda has on the drawing board right now for the 9th generation. Maybe - maybe - Honda will finally listen and give us the full liter V4 we've all wanted for so long (better be 90 degrees Honda - not 76 deg. like the motor in the 7th gen). If I were shopping now, this bike for $13,500 vs a very low mile 6th gen ABS for half the price - for me makes the 6th gen an easy decision. For me it's just not a $7,000 leap forward given it has essentially the same engine. If Honda made a full liter V4 with the new bike's styling, chain drive, etc, it would probably make me reach for my wallet. Toss in inverted forks and gear driven cams and I would be first in line at the dealership.

I'd be standing next to you with credit card in hand. Here that Honda?

• Member Contributer

Honestly, making it the litre would drop it down the list for me. I think the current crop of middleweights by other manufacturers (Street Triple, Daytona, MT-09, MV's 675/800s, even the enduring GSXR750) show that there is a market for them. There isn't another real sports tourer in the segment (maybe the F800GT) that's as exciting and well regarded. I like the 700-800cc segment.

Take the VFR, keep the tank size and the seat position, give it some top shelf suspension - lose 50kg and we're pretty much good to go in my mind. Mind you, not really sure how you could trim 50kg off it, but that's what designers and engineers are for.

• Member Contributer

I agree, why buy a new model when you can get a 6th gen (in RWB if you want!!!) for a fraction of the price, fix the querks with it, and have a better bike?

Honda needs to get their head in the game. my 86 made 90HP on the dyno... you would think almost THIRTY years of tech, they could squeeze out more than 10hp?!?!? and the price tag too... might as well get a CBR lol.

Cmon honduh...

Dear Honda,

1000cc V4, well under 500 lbs, top notch electronic aids, comfortable ergos.

Can you say Aprilia Tuono V4? Sure, I knew you could.

Now build a better Honda! C'mon, you are Goliath to their David. It should be relatively easy. :warranty:

Honestly, making it the litre would drop it down the list for me. I think the current crop of middleweights by other manufacturers (Street Triple, Daytona, MT-09, MV's 675/800s, even the enduring GSXR750) show that there is a market for them. There isn't another real sports tourer in the segment (maybe the F800GT) that's as exciting and well regarded. I like the 700-800cc segment.

Take the VFR, keep the tank size and the seat position, give it some top shelf suspension - lose 50kg and we're pretty much good to go in my mind. Mind you, not really sure how you could trim 50kg off it, but that's what designers and engineers are for.

I've had both the Street Triple and a Daytona. Being an 800 and 100lbs more I'm amazed that the 5th gen was as interesting to me as it was. On paper the Streety and the VFR are virtually identical besides the price and weight. A Street Triple R which has ABS and fully adjustable suspension on both ends is 9,999. The deluxe VFR800 is 13,000+ and has cheaper suspension and no more power with 125cc more of displacement. Let's not even talk about the Daytona.

With all that said I did enjoy testing a local members 5th gen. I guess I have a hard time swallowing the VFR 800 price especially when I have seen new '10 VFR 1200's for 10k... I will end up with either an '06ish sixth gen or a 1200...

• Member Contributer

I've had both the Street Triple and a Daytona. Being an 800 and 100lbs more I'm amazed that the 5th gen was as interesting to me as it was. On paper the Streety and the VFR are virtually identical besides the price and weight. A Street Triple R which has ABS and fully adjustable suspension on both ends is 9,999. The deluxe VFR800 is 13,000+ and has cheaper suspension and no more power with 125cc more of displacement. Let's not even talk about the Daytona.

With all that said I did enjoy testing a local members 5th gen. I guess I have a hard time swallowing the VFR 800 price especially when I have seen new '10 VFR 1200's for 10k... I will end up with either an '06ish sixth gen or a 1200...

There are some quirks there about being here in Aussie. A new 2014 VFR deluxe (the up spec one is the only one here) is $16,500 but a 2014 Daytona R is $18-19,000. But it's about 20% more power and 80kg (160lbs) lighter with better equipment. Not sure of the Street R prices here, but assume less than the Daytona, and it's even worse for the current VFR. But like I said, drop 50kg, give it top shelf suspension and we have a contender.

I got a chance to ride the '14 today, and it feels like a mid life update, rather than a bike 12 years in the making. If something happened to my VFR, I would put the new one high on my list of replacements, it but I don't see anything motivating me to change over.

There are some quirks there about being here in Aussie. A new 2014 VFR deluxe (the up spec one is the only one here) is $16,500 but a 2014 Daytona R is $18-19,000. But it's about 20% more power and 80kg (160lbs) lighter with better equipment. Not sure of the Street R prices here, but assume less than the Daytona, and it's even worse for the current VFR. But like I said, drop 50kg, give it top shelf suspension and we have a contender.

I got a chance to ride the '14 today, and it feels like a mid life update, rather than a bike 12 years in the making. If something happened to my VFR, I would put the new one high on my list of replacements, it but I don't see anything motivating me to change over.

I paid almost $2000 less than your quoted price for my 8th gen on the road.

I dont know why you would compare a Daytona to the VFR anyway, the Triumph is a sportsbike and the VFR is a sport tourer, lets compare apples with apples.

Try riding across the country on a sportsbike.

It is accepted that the 8th gen has the same engine and frame to the previous model, with improvements to other areas, but it is selling at a price almost the same as the previous model anyway. It is actually cheaper than a lot of previous models.

A lot of people are lamenting what it could have been, but it is what it is and we all need to get over it.

The bike that everyone wanted would be selling at a much higher price point than this one is, and then everyone would be complaining about the price.

For what it costs, (in Australia anyway) the 8th gen represents good value for money.

• Member Contributer

I paid almost $2000 less than your quoted price for my 8th gen on the road.

I dont know why you would compare a Daytona to the VFR anyway, the Triumph is a sportsbike and the VFR is a sport tourer, lets compare apples with apples.

Try riding across the country on a sportsbike.

It is accepted that the 8th gen has the same engine and frame to the previous model, with improvements to other areas, but it is selling at a price almost the same as the previous model anyway. It is actually cheaper than a lot of previous models.

A lot of people are lamenting what it could have been, but it is what it is and we all need to get over it.

The bike that everyone wanted would be selling at a much higher price point than this one is, and then everyone would be complaining about the price.

For what it costs, (in Australia anyway) the 8th gen represents good value for money.

Nice, 16500 was just the price the dealer quoted. I was only comparing the two bikes in that litre bikes aren't what everyone wants. Hence the compare to BMW F800, or MV's F3 bikes etc etc.

Spot on Dogman.. was bike shopping today (Adelaide weather too wet for test rides) & was quoted ride away prices as follows:

8th Gen world standard spec (same as US "DeLuxe") AU$15,150.

Kawasaki z1000sx (aka Ninja 1000 in USA comes in Oz with ABS & TC) AU$17,990

Triumph Street Triple 675R ABS AU$15,490

Yamaha MT-09 (FZ09 in USA) AU$12,499

Didn't price the F800GT (ridden one its engine is awful) but that shows the Honda have been very keen with the price on the 8th Gen here.

• Member Contributer

800 cc, 98 hp, is plenty of power for me, probably as much as I can handle. Throw in gear-driven cams and a $3000 price range and it's a no brainer for me. Fifth Gen!

800 cc, 98 hp, is plenty of power for me, probably as much as I can handle. Throw in gear-driven cams and a $3000 price range and it's a no brainer for me. Fifth Gen!

Just a little secret MaxSwell, you can't go into a showroom & buy a new 5th Gen for any money, let alone $3K. They stopped making the a decade & a half ago. FWIW in my part of the world the 8th gen (with ABS, radial calipers, unlinked brakes, adjustable suspension, traction control & sharper chassis geometry) costs only slightly more in 2014 than a 5 gen did in 2000.

Just a little secret MaxSwell, you can't go into a showroom & buy a new 5th Gen for any money, let alone $3K. They stopped making the a decade & a half ago. FWIW in my part of the world the 8th gen (with ABS, radial calipers, unlinked brakes, adjustable suspension, traction control & sharper chassis geometry) costs only slightly more in 2014 than a 5 gen did in 2000.

Actually my mate bought a 2001 model 5th gen brand new and it costed him $15990 at the time 13 years ago wheras my 8th gen costed me almost $1500 less than that just a few weeks ago, and if you factor in inflation it is a LOT cheaper.

I also owned a 5th gen and I can tell you the handling was nothing like the 8th gens handling, the 41mm forks on the 4th and 5th gens are just a bit too flexy...

( I still own a 4th gen BTW) and although its a great bike and I love it, the handling and braking if in standard trim are not in the same league, and even after significant modding , the new bike is still well ahead, (as we would hope.)

• Member Contributer

I was referring to my choices to buy today. I've had five fifth gens, four of which I purchased for less than $4,000. My point was that I do not need a 1000 cc motorcycle. Esp when so many alternatives for happiness riding exist for considerably less money.

well, I'm talking pounds here but my new VFR just cost me £4k cash as I got £6k for my part-ex. So I guess you can either get peanuts for trading a 13yr old bike and pay £10.5K or you can trade every few years and pay less. Altough I'm hoping this one will be a keeper....

.....but I say that about every bike I buy ;-)

• Member Contributer

Just got the magazine in the mail... Haven't read it yet (I'm at work).

Just scanned up the timeline and the "me and my ride". Why isn't the 86 RWB?!?!?!? Even though the white is cool, but still.. cmon!!! :P

xrPtXlp.jpg

HDbhIqd.jpg

Pfm8Jtj.jpg

Hey! That's "Me & My Ride"!

I wrote that and sent it in about 5-6 months ago, and they told me they were saving it to run with the new VFR article. They did a bit of "editing" to the copy, even though I was under their 500 word limit, but what are you gonna do, right?

Archived