Hi There...

Astra

• Member Contributer

I'm Aaron from St. Louis. I stumbled upon your website while doing some research on the 5th gen VFR and have found it to be a great resource as I decide what my next bike will be. I figured I would introduce myself since I've been spending a lot of time reading posts and may want to respond to some.

I currently ride a CBR250R that I love but would like to find something better suited for my daily commute. Although she does fine on the interstates, I'd really like to have something more planted and less likely to get tossed around. I'm also interested in doing some touring so the VFR seems to fit the bill. The other bike I am considering is the YZF-600R (Thundercat). Both bikes have their pluses and minuses but both seem well suited for what I'd like to use them for.

I recently let a '98 VFR with less than 12K miles slip through my fingers but I'm just not ready to pull the trigger. I'd really like an opportuniity to ride both bikes before making a final decision. I'm hoping to get it figured out soon but at this rate, it may be next riding season before I do.

If any of you happen to have experiences with both bikes, please feel free to provide me some insight. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

No need to be shy with pictures of your current ride :beer:

• Member Contributer

Welcome Astra. Be forewarned about buying a VFR though. It will permanently occupy space in your garage as they are hard to part with. I'll let you discover why on your own.

• Member Contributer

WELCOME and your on the right track !!!

Thank you!

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

No need to be shy with pictures of your current ride :beer:

Thanks! As soon as I get some decent shots, I'll get them posted up.

Welcome Astra. Be forewarned about buying a VFR though. It will permanently occupy space in your garage as they are hard to part with. I'll let you discover why on your own.

That's what I've heard and can't say I would mind. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Hi Aaron, and welcome. I am a relative newcomer to the forum, but can heartily testify to the friendliness and helpfulness of the people here.

I think my situation may be similar to yours, as I moved from a Ninja 250 to a 1999 VFR about a year and a half ago, and was considering a couple other bikes besides the VFR. I am extremely happy with my VFR, and if you are interested, I posted the story of my switch on a friend's blog. It is at motocommuterblog.com, go to "about our motorcycles", "erics 1999 honda vfr800 interceptor".

I wish you all the best whatever you choose.

I made a very similar switch over the winter. 08 ninja 250R to my 93 VFR.

I haven't had any issues at all with it being "too much" bike.

Vfr is such smooth, torquey power that it's not trying to rip your arms off. PLUS the best thing to me, is the wide range of usable power. I can pop into 2nd and ride basically any road or route around town (or semi-speed-legal twisty and never "need" to shift.

It IS heavier than the 250's, so if she starts to tip, you better be ready to grunt or bail. Talking about zero speed tip over.

• Member Contributer

Hi Aaron, and welcome. I am a relative newcomer to the forum, but can heartily testify to the friendliness and helpfulness of the people here.

I think my situation may be similar to yours, as I moved from a Ninja 250 to a 1999 VFR about a year and a half ago, and was considering a couple other bikes besides the VFR. I am extremely happy with my VFR, and if you are interested, I posted the story of my switch on a friend's blog. It is at motocommuterblog.com, go to "about our motorcycles", "erics 1999 honda vfr800 interceptor".

I wish you all the best whatever you choose.

Thanks Eric. That was a good read and it indeed sounds similar to my situation. I appreciate the insight.

I made a very similar switch over the winter. 08 ninja 250R to my 93 VFR.

I haven't had any issues at all with it being "too much" bike.

Vfr is such smooth, torquey power that it's not trying to rip your arms off. PLUS the best thing to me, is the wide range of usable power. I can pop into 2nd and ride basically any road or route around town (or semi-speed-legal twisty and never "need" to shift.

It IS heavier than the 250's, so if she starts to tip, you better be ready to grunt or bail. Talking about zero speed tip over.

Good to know. By my calculations, there is about 160 lbs difference between the two. That doesn't seem like a lot but I imagine an additional 160 lbs between my legs trying to tip will make a big difference.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Just know one thing: fifth gens are the best and red is the fastest color.

I should know, I've owned five and still have two and a half.

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello again, VFRD. It has taken awhile but I finally pulled the trigger on a 5th Gen. I picked up a 1998 over the weekend and will be getting her ready for riding season. Here are a couple of pics. Not great pics but I was in kind of a hurry.

post-30686-0-99372500-1426040129.jpg

post-30686-0-24186400-1426040145.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hello again, VFRD. It has taken awhile but I finally pulled the trigger on a 5th Gen. I picked up a 1998 over the weekend and will be getting her ready for riding season. Here are a couple of pics. Not great pics but I was in kind of a hurry.

At least you have pics! And CongratulationsI

• Member Contributer

Nice choice, you could have gone and bought an Opel Astra....... :goofy:

shudder........

photos_opel_astra_1991_1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice! You can't go wrong with a 5th gen. Be sure to replace that stock muffler with an aftermarket exhaust. You will be amazed - there's nothing like it.

Archived