Vfr 1200 Motor In New Ariel Ace Motorcycle

EhViffer

• Member Contributer

Looks like the shaft system too, that RR is the honda unit hanging below the seat just like the 1200 is situated as well. That tank though barely looks like a liter of fuel?

If you read the link it says Ariel will customize each of the 100 to 150 versions they make so if you want a touring version they would maybe produce a bigger tank? Wonder if you could order the DCT as well? Looks like it has the shaft drive in there though hard to tell.

• Member Contributer

Went to Ariel site and in fact they will offer DCT version if so desired and it is the shaft drive on the bikes. Good read if interested in a completely custom VFR 1200 build. They are looking to produce between 100 and 150 bikes per year.

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/full_screen_v2.html

Very cool, but I think I'd rather put the $34K towards the cost of an Atom. :)

Yeah, cars are way more practical, theres more room, you can haul stuff around in them, you don't get wet while driving them, etc.

wait, what?

Oh, nevermind..............

• Member Contributer

Very cool, but I think I'd rather put the $34K towards the cost of an Atom. :)

Yeah, cars are way more practical, theres more room, you can haul stuff around in them, you don't get wet while driving them, etc.

wait, what?

Oh, nevermind..............

Lol, I think a Givi top case has about the same volume or more than the Atom's "boot."

I have to admit that I'm more than slightly curious how the optional front end might feel on the road or track.

Arial-Ace-008.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wheres is the gas tank? under the seat .

Found it .

Honda engine good for over 170hp, a top speed of 165mph and a 0-60 time of just 3.4 seconds.

• Member Contributer

...I have to admit that I'm more than slightly curious how the optional front end might feel on the road or track.

That one is the cruiser-ish version, the one with the Öhlins forks is the sporty type.

I like them a lot...

• Member Contributer

...I have to admit that I'm more than slightly curious how the optional front end might feel on the road or track.

That one is the cruiser-ish version, the one with the Öhlins forks is the sporty type.

I like them a lot...

I've ridden a KTM 950 Adventure S at Mid-Ohio. That wouldn't stop me :goofy:

• Member Contributer

yes, you can get it in a DCT.. I don't know why you'd want to, but to each their own I guess.

I guess the same reason that walking on foot gave way to horses, steam gave way to internal combustion, land lines to smart phones, foot clutch to DCT - progress baby. Your right though to each their own, some people continued to stay on horses, took the locomotive, continued to rotate their dial and yes poke away at their foot activated clutch. One man's progress is another's revulsion.

• Member Contributer

Yeah yeah, but they could probably figure out a way to "automate" sex, but would you want it?

The purity in riding a motorcycle is using all 4 limbs, the same way as a car using a manual transmission. DCT for racing applications when tenths matter? Sure. But I'm not a racer and would rather be slower doing things myself because it's more involving, more engaging.

• Member Contributer

Just glad the DCT choice is out there. The market decides I guess. So far not much uptake on DCT with other brands but maybe over time? The Ariel Ace cruiser version with the wild front fork has my attention. Would I be able to get one here in Canada? Unlikely by the looks of it.

y13bph7dh6tm5iaxhqwc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope Honda put this brilliant engine in more application. The power characteristics would work well in all sorts of other bikes. Personally, it's bit of an overkill in a naked bike. The Speed Triple already has plenty oomph, and I just can't fathom needing more.. But I'm sure lots of people would disagree.

Same V4 would be fantastic in a GT bike. Now that Honda has cruiser-ized the ST1300, and the VFR1200F's days look to be pretty much numbered, in favor of the VFR800, it is high time for the fabled VFR1200T touring version to take up the gap.

Also, the Diavel being the runaway success it has been for Ducati, Honda could easily put this V4 into a lightweight power cruiser that could compete very well. I think that's kinda what the bobbed tail Ariel Ace was gunning for. The funky forks don't do anything for me though.

And why Honda doesn't bring the Crossrunner here, I have no idea. Hottest segment going, and Honda has zero contender here.

Archived