Hi Everyone, New Member!

Hi, I'm John from London - UK

I'm having this bike dropped off on Sunday. Taking a massive punt on this as a) I've not seen it in the flesh and b) never ridden a VFR750 before . Mental? Yes. Reason? Just cos I can!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171355714512&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

My biking history:

Yamaha YZF R-125 - passed my CBT and had this for all of 3 months or so before some twonk took me out on a roundabout, smashed fairing, broken ribs, knuckles, smashed knees and I was back on a horrid CG125 for a few weeks while they declined to repair it.

Started life like this

WP_000032.jpg

And ended up like this once I wrapped up the damaged fairing, replaced the nose cone...etc etc

469703_226862350768465_925523591_o1.jpg

Then I did my DAS and passed first time round and bought this SV650

DSCN0456.jpg

DSCN0450.jpg

I kept it for roughly 8 months and sold it on, buying a Street Triple R

Started life like this

IMG_0678_zps145f8a62.jpg

ended up looking like this:

null_zps07dd1d7f.jpg

Then finally like this:

IMAG0495_zpseed5789e.jpg

I then sold this on and bought a 5VY (2006) Yamaha R1 - some utter SCUM pinched this from outside my work, only had it 2 weeks before it was a gonner!

10365630_581614865293210_735177937222896

1596693_581614998626530_1992414649627558

I got sick of waiting for the insurance to pay out (STILL waiting!) so I bought an SV1000 to tide me over, turns out I bought an absolutely brilliant bike and I intend on keeping it until it explodes (hard work to blow up an SV!)

IMAG1019_zpsczdlibmz.jpg

IMAG1020_zpshmsem4jw.jpg

So I'm getting the VFR to sit along side it, as to what I'll use it for...don't know yet, touring? Commuting? Weekend scratching? Probably all of those along with the SV which is proving itself to be a very, very comfy and powerful bike.

Anyway...hope I haven't bored you!

:)

Welcome aboard! Impressive bikes you've had. That V4 is addicting and one may turn into many. This forum is a great resource for anything VFR you could ever need.

-PRB

Thanks guys.

Can anyone advise on what I should be looking out for on the bike, I'll be stripping it down the weekend after this (will give it a week of riding to familiarise myself).

I've read the following:

sloppy gearbox - can be modified/bodged I believe?

sloppy throttle response - any quick fixes?

rusty collector box - the bike looks fairly well cared for and has a Remus exhaust so might be clean there I hope!

Any electrical/clutch niggles I should know about, or anything else?

:cool:

• Member Contributer

Any electrical/clutch niggles I should know about, or anything else?

:cool:

If you've spent any time here you'll know that electrical issues are the number 1 reported problems with the VFR. Most deal with it by replacing one or all of regulator/rectifier (r/r), stator and battery. In addition, many (me included) have installed the VFRness to beef up the charging system wiring. Check and clean all electrical connections, especially the stator to r/r connector and the grounds. Installing a voltmeter is almost a necessity too.

Very cool collection of bikes, btw, especially the Yamaha 125 and Street Triple.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the site and thanks for the pic. I'm certain you will grow to love the VFR as much as the rest of us have. The VFR kind of works its way into your soul and once you have owned one, it can be really hard to settle for anything else.

There seems to be a theme going with some of your past rides (and the current SV1000) so I feel I must post up a link to the following thread. Just call it inspiration in case the street fighter bug again comes calling.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75243-my-95-vfr-sf-project-the-process/

Have fun, ride safe and keep her shiny side up.

Interesting livery on the 3rd gen.

Are those decals or paint?

Seat needs to be black though, what with the white green red motif. The blue has to leave.

You will love the noise of the V4, it's intoxicating.

They are a tad heavy, try raising the rear and lowering the front a bit to make it steer quicker.

Good tires, a brake upgrade, and suspension work will transform it immensely.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the North Sea :goofy:

That paint job has "give me a (left) high mount muffler" written all over it.

Hi again

I did see that Street fighter VFR - wonderful job and an epic amount of work that's gone into it. I've always toyed with doing a project like that, but the majority of the work is way outside my skill set and a lack of space in my garage dictates I'm a rider not a modifier at the moment.

On the topic of electrics, I'll keep an eye out for those issues and install a volt meter, that fine going straight off the battery? I'm not a sparky unfortunately so will need filling in.

Is it quite easy to do the left side exhaust mod? I imaging it's just a case of getting an alternate mid pipe and mounting bracket?

Also, will definitely be changing the seat cover - the bike's not actually with me yet as the chap dropping it off can't make it until the Saturday coming, just gives me something else to look forward to this weekend!

Actually, had a look at Sandy bikes spares and their exhausts are left exit, full S/S and look nice. Given that my bike's nearly a quarter century old - I bet the collectors are sporting a fair bit of rust (will soon find out!) so might go down this route. Have to lose the centre stand though which is a biggy for me as I want the bike to be easy to service without faffing with a paddock/abba stand. Will keep you all informed :)

Archived