Let The Parts Swapping Begin!

• Member Contributer

With the 8th gen on US soil, parts are now online. Who will be the first to swap that 10 spoke on to an earlier model? With the 5 lug pattern it's going to be a challenge to get the axle compatible with the wheel. It looks like a bolt on for 7th gens - though Honda's website does not list the width.

Rear wheel

WHEEL SUB (TYPE1) 42650-MJM-D00ZA List $595

AXLE, RR. 42300-MJM-D00 List $208

2014RearWheel_zps6a1de5a7.jpg

Front wheel

44650-MJM-D00ZA List $649

2014Frontwheel_zps60c46efb.jpg

Someone is probably going to figure out how to swap rear sets and luggage to a sixth gen to do away with the roll cage bag mounts and who knows what else. Lots of possibilities. A lot of midnight oil is going to be burned . . . :lurk:

• Member Contributer

Thanks Cogswell! Now will I have to figure out how to shoehorn a single-sided swingarm into my old VF just to have those wheels.

• Member Contributer

Oh man I want the sub frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It prolly a direct bolt on without much hassle.

Cogswell you're a turkey for bringing this up. :unsure: Now I might have to break one of my rules of one project at a time(my Valky is apart) and look into the new goodies for my viffer. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I looked at the wheels. The rear will probably be no problem. However, the front rotors have no offset like the older bikes. Not sure what the changes and new wheel width dimensions are.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• Member Contributer

I looked at the wheels. The rear will probably be no problem. However, the front rotors have no offset like the older bikes. Not sure what the changes and new wheel width dimensions are.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

Good catch .....

• Member Contributer

Where did you find the parts fiche ?

Sorry - I forgot that - was watching I.O.M. last night while online. Parts were not on all websites yet. I found them on Honda Parts Direct:

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=206667

IIRC the 7th gen rear wheel is 6" and runs a 190 tire and 3rd, 5th and 6th gens run 6" and a 180 tire, so it would seem this would fit a 7th gen with no mods. If the 5 lug axle is a direct fit in to earlier swingarms (wouldn't that be nice?), then it might be a doable swap for us non-machinists.

Cogswell you're a turkey for bringing this up. :unsure: Now I might have to break one of my rules of one project at a time(my Valky is apart) and look into the new goodies for my viffer. :beer:

I'm here to serve . . . always glad to help you spend your money!! :laugh: There'll probably be more than one family CFO that's unhappy with me!

• Member Contributer

Posted Today, 04:28 PM

Switchblade, on 07 Jun 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:snapback.png

Sorry - I forgot that - was watching I.O.M. last night while online. Parts were not on all websites yet. I found them on Honda Parts Direct:

http://www.hondapart...014&fveh=206667

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I was looking at one today, the sales guy was asking why I was laying on the floor looking under the bike, :wink: , but wouldn't the whole swingarm and wheel bolt up to the 5-6th gen? Need to check the swingarm length......

• Member Contributer

It sure seems like it would, though the list price on the assembly excluding the chain guard is $922, and an axle and other bits would still be needed. The 8th gens may need to start hitting insurance auctions to make it affordable. Too bad Honda didn't stay with the 4 bolt pattern.

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2014&fveh=206667

IIRC the 7th gen rear wheel is 6" and runs a 190 tire and 3rd, 5th and 6th gens run 6" and a 180 tire, so it would seem this would fit a 7th gen with no mods. If the 5 lug axle is a direct fit in to earlier swingarms (wouldn't that be nice?), then it might be a doable swap for us non-machinists.

I'm here to serve . . . always glad to help you spend your money!! :laugh: There'll probably be more than one family CFO that's unhappy with me!

Fifth and sixth gen are 5.5 inches wide

I was looking at one today, the sales guy was asking why I was laying on the floor looking under the bike, :wink: , but wouldn't the whole swingarm and wheel bolt up to the 5-6th gen? Need to check the swingarm length......

Not without some mods:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/52097-how-not-to-install-a-vtec-swingarm-on-a-5th-gen/

Archived