Tire Thickness When Showing Cord

5232eagle

• Member Contributer

I cant remember what brand of tire i cut this out of But for those wondering how much tire thickness they may have when the cord shows , this can give an idea.

This tire has 3/32 of an inch for about 2 1/2 inches either side of center.

post-24893-0-36845500-1401651692.jpg

post-24893-0-12904700-1401651741.jpg

I figured they were thin just based on the drumlike sound when tapping a finger on it. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I'm definitely surprised at how much is left beyond the cords. I have been surprised on a full day ride when cords appeared at my lunch stop and I was 200 miles from home. Maybe my worry level would have been lowered had I known how much was really left. I would still replace them right away and keep my speed in check until then.

• Member Contributer

Yes, but do the cords withstand the contact against asphalt as well as rubber does? Will the tire overheat and have a chance of blowout?

Yes, but do the cords withstand the contact against asphalt as well as rubber does? Will the tire overheat and have a chance of blowout?

Someone somewhere has no doubt tried it.

I don't want to be a test dummy. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Someone somewhere has no doubt tried it.

I don't want to be a test dummy. :rolleyes:

This was a major miscalculation "on my part" deciding just how far I could go on this tire. Agreed to a quick trip to AR with a friend but came within 200 miles of making it back home. When I first realized I wouldn't make I called the wife and had her throw my spare wheel/tire in the trunk and head my direction. It was about 100 miles from seeing the first sign of cords before the tire let go. No major catastrophe, no explosion, no innocent people harmed, just a sudden heavy feeling in the steering and the rear got a little squirmy. I was running over 70 when it finally wore through the remaining cords. I then drove another 8 miles on the flat to get to the nearest station where I waited for the wife to show up. I believe that was a Pilot Power and that tire was much thinner than the tire shown above. I've done it a couple more times with similar results but it was within 20 miles of home.

100_1908aa.jpg

OK, well someone had to do it. But 3 or more times?

I bet riding 8 miles on a flat rear tire was a lot of fun. :laugh:

Not. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I strongly recommend not going that far but ultimately it wasn't a big deal. Even riding on the flat wasn't too bad but again not recommended. :unsure:

Had cords showing all the way around a pr2 on the FJR. Rode it another 45 miles before it blew. Had a buddy cord his tire on a VFR 1200. He also made it about 50 miles before all air left the tire. NOW it is kinda funny that he was only about 5 miles from my house when it went flat. Doh!

Therefore I believe it to be safe to ride about 40 miles on cords if necessary. That is a lot further than I would have thought before I actually experienced it.

Therefore I believe it to be safe to ride about 40 miles on cords if necessary.

When the tyre shows cords I think you are a few hundred miles past the point to which the tyre (or ride) could be considered safe, even more on a bike with linked brakes.

My warning came when stopped at a light a fellow pulled beside me to say my rear tire was throwing sparks. A Metzeler warning system. 7 miles from the house. If you make a habit of wearing tires down to the cords steel belts may be a better bet. ;) R3~

Response to Rosso (I attempted to quote but obviously I suck)

Well...I lived, he lived and there were no adverse handling issues during the ride. Therefore yes, I do consider it safe to continue riding.

If you are more comfortable stopping and calling a tow truck that is certainly ok and your choice. I however will continue to ride until I arrive at a destination or she blows!

• Member Contributer

If one gets caught out (ie forgot to check tires before heading out) fair enough, ride home carefully

But purposely ride until you see cords is reckless.

and if it goes all pear shaped, then you will sue the tire company right? Hey, they was no warning decal on the tire!

Or do we need laser engraved disclaimers on our tires to avoid these lawsuits?

YMMV

YOLO!!

:goofy:

I work at Goodyear (they own Dunlop) and the construction of the tire requires several different compounds of rubber. The innerliner is the softest, the tread is almost the hardest. The bead actually uses the hardest rubber. But the tread is a compromise between traction and longevity. No other compound is formulated with contact with the road as a factor. The sidewalls do allow some abrasion but not continued contact. The compounds used for ply is only concerned with joining with the other compounds that are near it. It is more of a cement than wear compound. On bias ply tires they tended to keep together from construction. A common misconception is that the cords you see are actually ply. They are not usually. The number of "plies" of a tire include the ply (1 or 2) and the breaker. The breaker is a made of cords but travels over the face of the tire and does not wrap around the bead.

Really guys the PSAs about tread depth are to prevent lawsuits from dumbasses that think they are OK to ride on worn out tires. If I were a rock climber and noticed a rope was starting to fray, I wouldn't keep using it until it fails. You need to start thinking of your tires as your lifeline. Yes their is some measure of overkill built in but is it worth the risk?

As a final thought what happen to pre-ride inspections?

• Member Contributer

As a final thought what happen to pre-ride inspections?

deaf-dumb-blind.jpg?b4ffe6

OK let me expand.

I check air pressure and closely inspect tires, and lookover the bike, before EVERY ride. I live in the heart of premiere twisties and ride pretty hard, and usually two up. Mileage from sport touring tires only ranges between 1000 and 2000 miles per set. If I believe I can get another 2 or 3 hundred miles out of a rear tire...I ride it. Realize that could be 20-25 percent of tire life. Multiple times I have ridden until cords appear or are very close. At that time I turn around and head for home and install a new tire. Two sets of tires a month in Spring and Fall dictates that I attempt to take advantage of that last 25% of tire life. No it is not something I like to happen or would recommend...but it does happen to me on occasion.

So...I am simply letting riders know that if you are out and accidently find yourself on cords...it is ok, and safe, to ride a ways until you can resolve the issue. Also, If/when the rear tire blows...the bike will not explode!

(OK...I was stirring the pot a little too!)

OK let me expand.

I check air pressure and closely inspect tires, and lookover the bike, before EVERY ride. I live in the heart of premiere twisties and ride pretty hard, and usually two up. Mileage from sport touring tires only ranges between 1000 and 2000 miles per set. If I believe I can get another 2 or 3 hundred miles out of a rear tire...I ride it. Realize that could be 20-25 percent of tire life. Multiple times I have ridden until cords appear or are very close. At that time I turn around and head for home and install a new tire. Two sets of tires a month in Spring and Fall dictates that I attempt to take advantage of that last 25% of tire life. No it is not something I like to happen or would recommend...but it does happen to me on occasion.

So...I am simply letting riders know that if you are out and accidently find yourself on cords...it is ok, and safe, to ride a ways until you can resolve the issue. Also, If/when the rear tire blows...the bike will not explode!

(OK...I was stirring the pot a little too!)

We each live with choices. Choices that determine if you make it home safely. In an emergency everything is permissible. Why start a ride in an emergency situation. Cords either steel aramid or fiberglass do not provide the same handling traction response as tread. Secondly you do not have the puncture protection with exposed cords. A rock in the road could be enough for a blow out. This is my last reply. I don't wish to participate in a war of words. I got caught is a thunderstorm with some worn tires. Just the slightest sipes left in the center. Went to pass a slower car with pretty ginger acceleration. The tire immediately stepped out to the less worn part and caught again. This caused a series of oscillations that could have easily led to a lo or hi side. It might of been better on the cords, but I really doubt it.

Congratulations you have definitely proven your ... ah ... um ... ah ... bravery over myself. May you always continue to do so.

Starting out with an emergency situation... What emergency situation? Starting out on a rear tire with 25% of its life remaining is not an emergency situation. But that is not what this is about.

Again, my point is simply that moto tires will run on cords for 40 miles or so if necessary. I have seen it done by many here in the AR twisties. The only ill effects were the full retail price they had to pay for a new tire/mount when they arrived at the dealership.

FYI...this is not a war of words...it is a discussion on VFRdiscussion

Archived