Ordered A Shorai Lfx18A1-Bs12 Battery For My Beast

TNRabbit

I just ordered a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 battery for my 98 VFR 800. This is the extended rate (270 CCA/18A/hr) battery. Amazon has them for $95.

I'll post a review to this thread once it's in the bike~

Are you sure you ordered the LFX18A1-BS12 and not a LFX18A1-BS06? I see the latter for $92, but not the 12V version.

I've been watching prices on this for the last couple weeks, and I haven't seen the LFX18A1-BS12 anywhere near $95 from any reseller.

Mind sharing the link you purchased from? :)

Crap. Just had this email conversation with THE OUTLET who sold me this battery via amazon.com:

"Order ID 109-1426225-2991444:
1 of Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18A2-BS06 Lightweight Powerful [ASIN: B007B6UNV2]

------------- Begin message -------------

Hello,

The battery is the 6 volt version. Your order has already been processed, we are unable to make any changes to it. If you need to return item for a refund you can submit your return request via Amazon for authorization.

Thank you,

The Outlet

--- Original message ---

Order ID 109-1426225-2991444:
1 of Shorai Lithium Battery LFX18A2-BS06 Lightweight Powerful [ASIN: B007B6UNV2]

It came to my attention this may be the 6 volt version of the battery (BS06). The description clearly stated this was a 12 volt battery. In researching the model numbers, it appears the 12 volt is BS12 & the 6 volt is BS06. PLEASE VERYIFY before shipping to me! I require the 12 volt version.

Thank you,

• Member Contributer

It looks like the LFX18A1-BS12 is like $145... Still a good price IMO.

It looks like the LFX18A1-BS12 is like $145... Still a good price IMO.

I checked the dimensions on this; it said it was 8" tall...???

• Member Contributer

Crap. Just had this email conversation with THE OUTLET who sold me this battery via amazon.com:

Hello,

The battery is the 6 volt version. Your order has already been processed, we are unable to make any changes to it. If you need to return item for a refund you can submit your return request via Amazon for authorization.

Thank you,

The Outlet

--- Original message ---

Order ID 109-1426225-2991444:

It came to my attention this may be the 6 volt version of the battery (BS06). The description clearly stated this was a 12 volt battery. In researching the model numbers, it appears the 12 volt is BS12 & the 6 volt is BS06. PLEASE VERYIFY before shipping to me! I require the 12 volt version.

Thank you,

Buy two of them and put them in series !!!

• Member Contributer

I just picked up a LFX19A4-BS12 for my 6th gen a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't all that much smaller than the OEM, though it was definitely shorter. I needed a couple of the pads that came with it to fit properly.

As for price, the best I found was Revzilla. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shorai-lfx-lithium-battery

Bummer. Sorry to see I was right. I was hoping you really had found a smokin deal on the 12V version.

Yes, make sure it is the LFX19A4-BS12. The previous version was a lower amp hour battery and it wasn't enough for the VFR - mine packed it in. Shorai graciously replaced it free when it did die though - still pretty new technology. A few pieces of foam from their kit and it will fit like a glove and it is incredibly light.

I don't get it?

I just put a Yuasa VFR battery in my Ducati 848. It was 60.00. Yes it is bigger than the OEM Ducati battery and it does have more CCA.

Why go to the lithium battery?

There are more complaints than good qualities of the battery.

Cold weather starting is the complaint I hear most followed by the length the battery lasts.

A riding buddy put one in his 1098s. It barely cranked the bike in the summer time, not at all during the winter months.

Then it died last month and it isn't even a year old.

I get easily five years plus out of Yuasa batteries.

If it is weight savings which you are after, stop drinking Coke. You will loose ten pounds immediately.

Besides, you are riding a VFR. Not ever going to be known as a lightweight bike.

• Member Contributer

GS Yuasa Lithium Power
GS Yuasa is one of the world’s leading battery manufacturers for automotive, telecom, and industrial applications and has produced commercial lead acid batteries for more than one hundred years. GS Yuasa manufactures a variety of specialty battery technologies including Lithium-ion, Nickel-Metal Hydride, Thermal batteries and Silver Zinc.
GS Yuasa Lithium Power, Inc., a United States subsidiary of GS Yuasa, is focused on large format lithium ion battery system support and manufacturing for US customers. Primary products are lithium-ion battery systems for aerospace, defense, commercial, and industrial applications.

AGM_chart.jpg

GS Yuasa Lithium Power

GS Yuasa is one of the world’s leading battery manufacturers for automotive, telecom, and industrial applications and has produced commercial lead acid batteries for more than one hundred years. GS Yuasa manufactures a variety of specialty battery technologies including Lithium-ion, Nickel-Metal Hydride, Thermal batteries and Silver Zinc.

GS Yuasa Lithium Power, Inc., a United States subsidiary of GS Yuasa, is focused on large format lithium ion battery system support and manufacturing for US customers. Primary products are lithium-ion battery systems for aerospace, defense, commercial, and industrial applications.

AGM_chart.jpg

All three of the batteries pictured and the list are standard acid batteries my friend.

I work for a dealership that sells the Shorai's. We have had lots of problems with them not being able to crank over bikes and fully depleting to the point they are dead.

GS Yuasa makes Li-Io batteries for commercial and military aircraft including Boeing, Lockheed Martin, etc.

Also FYI, the "Lithium" batteries we are seeing for power sports machines including motorcycles, are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo) batteries, These are not the same as Lithium Ion batteries like those fitted to the common laptops and Iphones, the Chevy Volt and Tesla Model S. Li-FePo batteries have about 75% of the energy density of equivalent weight/size Li-Io batteries but they cost less AND they do not produce the kind of heat that Li-Io batteries do. Nevertheless, Li-FePo batteries are significantly lighter & smaller than AGM batteries. They also do not discharge as quickly as AGM batteries and will hold a charge much longer.

The cold start issues occur when the Li-FePo batteries are subjected to very cold temps. Something like below 30 deg F. It needs to be warmed up. That includes turning your ignition to on for a minute. Keep in mind that even AGM batteries also degrade in very cold temps. Finaly, Li-FePo batteries also need to be trickle charged regularly when left unused and connected to your bike for long periods just like any other battery.

My reason for going with the Li-FePo is that the price of the AGM battery was within $25 of the Li-FePo. So I figure why not get the benefit of a much lighter, 2.19 lbs. battery?

• Member Contributer

GS Yuasa Lithium Power

AGM_chart.jpg

Can't find lithium

Oh yeah that's the battery Boeing had the fire on the 777.

About them fires. :wink:

Like the Tesla too.

Li-Io, as you know from cradling your laptop and using your Iphone, they get hot. They NEED heat management that's for sure. The Chevy Volt and the Tesla actually use coolant I believe to keep those suckers cool. BTW, once the Lithium gets hot enough to melt they catch fire and when they catch fire they are very difficult to put out! They require a type of fire suppressant not normally available except to First Responders.

Thankfully, we don't put those in our little motorcycle. Can you imagine? The engine already puts out a lot of heat!

We have had one Shorai fitted to a bike melt itself. Was replaced under warranty. Customer did not know what happened. He was cranking his bike (CRF450) and smelt burning plastic. No fire started, just a very warped battery. Oddly, the Shorai would not start the CRF in cool weather and each successive crank killed it more. An acid one started it right away.

Archived