Ordered A Shorai Lfx18A1-Bs12 Battery For My Beast

TNRabbit

Actually, it IS the MMG.....not sure how or even if Yuasa was involved in this one. 13.8 volts after charging, 14.28 charging at the battery on startup. After running it up to 5500 RPM, it peaked at 14.48/14.50 & stayed there even after dropping back down to idle. 270 CCA, baby!

Even with handy little plastic spacers that came with the battery I had to put cardboard spacers at the bottom of the battery box so the terminals would bolt up correctly. This battery is a snug fit in the box!

post-27845-0-98326900-1399827745.jpg

post-27845-0-99635800-1399827918.jpg

post-27845-0-13187100-1399827971.jpg

post-27845-0-24947900-1399828044.jpg

post-27845-0-47796200-1399828114.jpg

• Member Contributer

^^^ Curious as to the makeup of the chemistry of the battery. The note about becoming hot is interesting. - Would it be LiFePo4 or something else?

• Member Contributer

Just asking for curiousity sake, the Lithium ion are the one's that can catch fire if it gets too hot. Think Boeing, Tesla. - The LiFePo4 battery types are more stable.

• Member Contributer

I have been running a Shorai in the K12S for over a year and a half (two winters). Cold start problem is fixed by turning the ignition to the on position while I put on my helmet and gloves, even at around 30F (have not tested below this). The bike runs smoother and is notably lighter. Keeps a charge for at least a month and a half with no discharge problems. Good warranty. Only time will tell if it is worth the extra expense.

Good advice on cutting out soda and losing 10 lbs, too, btw.

• Member Contributer

I've noticed if you just cut out soda, fast food, and crap in general, and size your portions correctly the weight just sheds off.

Being in shape feels better than any food/drink tastes.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

One year later & this battery has performed like a CHAMP. Love it!

I removed it from the bike for the winter in December 2014 & it has maintained a constant 13.2 volts since then. I'll be dropping it in the bike next week....don't anticipate any issues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've had Shorai LFX batteries in my bikes since 2011. Absolutely no problems, ever. Well over 100,000km of riding. My current bike - the K1300R - starts like a champ even if I leave it for weeks.

My poor brother in law has had a bunch of start failures on his ZX12R. Failed stator, failed regulator, failed starter motor. He has a Shorai LFX which has worn the brunt of these problems by getting drained flat a few times and heavily drained by the starter motor when that began to fail. The battery keeps on ticking though.

In particular, when the charging system totally craps out, the bike runs longer on the Shorai than on lead acid. This is due to way Lithium batteries hold voltage for longer. Sure, they eventually drop off a cliff but lead acid tends to drop from 12 volts down to under 9 volts long before the rated capacity is used up. And at that point your fuel pump and coils stop working.

Archived