700 Vs. 750?

slooman

I'm a proud owner of a 7th gen and am looking to follow up with a VFR that I can restore. I absolutely love the look of the RC-30's so I'm inclined to go with the '86 red white & blue. I'm specifically looking for something light and better in the corners. Does anyone have any recommendations about choosing between the 700 and the 750? Aside from the 50cc's is there a reason I should choose one over the other? Hp? Weight? Reliability?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Weight and reliability are the same. I've seen specs vary from 12 to 25 hp difference between the two. Realistically and from my butt dyno, I think it is closer to the 12. Having a 7th gen as your other VFR, hp might not be that important to you for your restoration. As an owner of a couple of VFR700's, they can't seem to get out of their own way, lol. I personally wouldn't mind 10 or so additional hp and have considered dropping a VFR750 motor in one of them.

• Member Contributer

I owned a 700cc model and it was really pretty gutless. I'd skip that and go with the 750. I rode in the mountains of Colorado with my 700cc, and there was no excess of power that's for sure.

The engine is super smooth, and gas mileage is pretty good, but horsepower is way down. JMO of course.

• Member Contributer

I owned a 700cc model and it was really pretty gutless. I'd skip that and go with the 750. I rode in the mountains of Colorado with my 700cc, and there was no excess of power that's for sure.

The engine is super smooth, and gas mileage is pretty good, but horsepower is way down. JMO of course.

thats because you didn't rejet the carbs for the high altitude. .

• Member Contributer

Very true, but I've had lots of bikes that I've ridden in Colorado and none, except for a 1978 Yamaha XS750, were as bad as the VF700R. And it was pretty pitiful here in Missouri, just down on power

all the way around. I had a '73 Bonneville that could easily run with it, and totally outrun it in the mountains. I'd never buy another one.

• Member Contributer

i have no idea why you guys had such bad luck with them. i got mine and rejetted it on the 1stday. added a kerker pipe and it STOMPED the other bikers bikes around the gsxr ? HA! the ninja 600? a joke! the yamahahahahaha ? some where in my mirror....

and yes, mine was 700 :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I have the '86 700, it has about 90k miles on it and is still in good shape, the power difference does not seem to be too noticable between it and my 4th Gen 750, there is one, but not that great. I have some suspenion mods on mine (wheels, shock, fork brace), so she handles quite well, not a huge difference there either.

• Member Contributer

If everything else is identical, I can't imagine the 50cc difference between 2 VFR's being noticeable other than on a dyno.

If the 700 isn't able to get out of its own way, there's probably something else other than displacement at fault.

Thanks everyone. I just had to make sure there wasn't something big there to make me regret a purchase. It sounds to me like I should just wait for a nice one to come up for sale...700 or 750. For the money I think they're the best looking bike out there. A true classic.

• Member Contributer

If the 700 isn't able to get out of its own way, there's probably something else other than displacement at fault.

What are you hinting at? :goofy:

I can leave literbikes through the twisties on a sub 50-hp Duke II, but throwing around a 500 lb. 75-ish horsepower 28 year old bike through fairly tight uphill turns is a bit of a chore. The bike isn't terribly fast on flat roads; uphill less so.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I must have gotten a dud. I rejetted it right after I got it and put on the Kerker slip-ons, but it was still pretty pathetic.

Must have been built on a Monday. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I had an '87 VFR700F2 and I never thought it was slow at all :unsure:

I guess once you get used to close to 100hp it would feel a little anemic, however.

Apparently the '87 model had some small 'improvements', but I imagine it would still feel like a old bike in comparison so perhaps there is not much to consider there.

The '86 750 had round gauges. My 700 had a square 'automotive style' dash layout ~ not sure if all the 700's were like that or just the 1987 model. I liked the square gauge cluster but purists likely prefer the round analog style.

I understand the '84-'86 Honda 700 Nighthawk S had the same 80 crank horsepower as the Canadian 750 version. The 700 had the same piston on a shorter stroke which allowed a higher redline. Then they geared it down in proportion to the higher rpm. It performed quite well. Did Honda do something similar with the 700 VFR?

• Member Contributer

I had an '87 VFR700F2 and I never thought it was slow at all :unsure:

The '86 750 had round gauges. My 700 had a square 'automotive style' dash layout ~ not sure if all the 700's were like that or just the 1987 model. I liked the square gauge cluster but purists likely prefer the round analog style.

The F2 had the square gauges, the F had the round gauges, my '86 700F has the round ones like the 750. I think the F's were the red, white and blue ones, the other colors were the F2.

Officially there is a power difference, 92 VS 105 bhp. And a difference in torque. 45 ft-lbs VS 54. In a direct comparisson my 750 is faster and able to do power wheely,s in first and seconde gear.

The difference is nog only 700 VS 750 cc, but also different cams.

750's are scarce in the US but i would prefer the 750.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I love my 750... They are very scarce... The ONLY vfr750 I have seen in person is the one I purchased lol! Met the guy in New Hope, PA and I forced him to sell it to me.

Mine made 89.3HP on the dyno, and I have no issues keeping up/beating 2006 ish 600s. I almost bought a 700 but I held out for the 750. I drive a v8, so I believe in the no replacement for displacement :)

I have a 1984 VF700F and a 2007 VFR800. Actually my lap times are faster on the 700. Other than the V-Tech grunt. Close your eyes and they feel the same. The difference is felt when you switch to an inline 4 like a CBR then you feel it. So if you can save money with the 700 do so. Just my opinion and experience since I purchased my 1984 new in March 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go for the best condition you can find, especially if you find one in red, white and blue. They look great whether 700 or 750, and you still get that whirr of the gear driven cams, the burble of a 90 degree four with either. And when you feel like a power surge, just get back on the 7th gen. Nice combo.

• 2 weeks later...

Light and better in the corners? I dunno about 7th gen bikes. My newest VFR was a 92. I love my 87, but you're talking about a 517 lb bike on 37mm forks and scrawny bias ply tires. To be better in corners, you'll have a lot of work to do.

As for 700 vs 750, my 700, stone stock, made 77 HP at the wheel. That was more than a 91 750 made, same day, same dyno, same operator. The 91 had a collector box with an outlet attached, no muffler. Dunno if it was jetted. Probably not, considering the result.

Just buy the best bike you can find. Remember if you ever want to sell it, buyers will pay more for a 750.

happy hunting

kevin

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a proud owner of a 7th gen and am looking to follow up with a VFR that I can restore. I absolutely love the look of the RC-30's so I'm inclined to go with the '86 red white & blue. I'm specifically looking for something light and better in the corners. Does anyone have any recommendations about choosing between the 700 and the 750? Aside from the 50cc's is there a reason I should choose one over the other? Hp? Weight? Reliability?

Thanks!

same bike just a different crank- you can thank asshole harley davidson for that crap

I love my 750... They are very scarce... The ONLY vfr750 I have seen in person is the one I purchased lol! Met the guy in New Hope, PA and I forced him to sell it to me.

Mine made 89.3HP on the dyno, and I have no issues keeping up/beating 2006 ish 600s. I almost bought a 700 but I held out for the 750. I drive a v8, so I believe in the no replacement for displacement :)

do you still have this bike?

Slightly modded FK engine in an FG. No airbox lid and race exhaust

IMG00182-20120708-1619-1.jpg

Dyno.jpg

• 1 month later...

My desire for a 86-89 VFR is getting just more bad every day. So as I would perfer a 86 whit the round clocks insted of the square ones (If only color was the thing a red whit white wheels thanks), and the 750 one is getting high in price (I have found 2 adds whit low milage RWB 1986 VFR750F that asking price is €8000!) but you find 700cc ones cheap, the power diffrense sure getting more intresting. But its still a long way untill I can get one I think..........

• Member Contributer

I've owned both and never considered the 700 underpowered in any way. Theelf is quite correct that the only difference between them is the crank and rods, the rest of the bikes are identical. If you're looking at buying an 86 model I doubt that a few hp will make a difference. The pearl white is gorgeous but I still pine for RWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

My desire for a 87-89 VFR is getting just more bad every day. So as I would perfer a 86 whit the round clocks insted of the square ones (If only color was the thing a red whit white wheels thanks), and the 750 one is getting high in price (I have found 2 adds whit low milage RWB 1986 VFR750F that asking price is €8000!) but you find 700cc ones cheap, the power diffrense sure getting more intresting. But its still a long way untill I can get one I think..........

try autoscout.de

if there is one near the NL, your spare bedroom is still available for you...

speaking of NL

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/motoren-honda/m844306330-honda-vfr-750-f.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren/motoren-honda/m844744586-honda-vfr-750-f-bj-1989.html?c=be2da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr

:goofy:

Archived