It's Time For New Tires!

adg44

Sorry to hijack this thread , I need a new front tire not had my vfr long so need some advise I put a pr2 on the rear & was wandering should I put the same on the front or is there a better option ? I want something that will last thanks lads ps I live in so cal , don't ride in the rain so wet grip is not important

A lot, and I mean a LOT of us ran the PR2 rear and pilot power front with very favorable results on the VFR. I wouldn't hesitate at all to go this route.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire-catalog/sport-trackday-race/sport-touring/roadsmart-ii/

I really liked these...last twice as long as the Q3's or more...almostvas long as PR's...

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hijack this thread , I need a new front tire not had my vfr long so need some advise I put a pr2 on the rear & was wandering should I put the same on the front or is there a better option ? I want something that will last thanks lads ps I live in so cal , don't ride in the rain so wet grip is not important

I'd go with a PR2 if you're mostly doing commuting/touring, but if you like to dice it up maybe the Michelin PP3, that's what I have on my 6 Gen and I like the way it feels. I had a PR2 set on there before and got over 10K miles out of them, so I'm hoping to get at least the same out of the rear tire this time, we'll see how the PP3 last. It's supposedly an 85/15 (Meaning street/track percentage)

:ohmy: 10K miles. How does anyone get that many miles out of a motorcycle tire? I"m lucky to get over 4K miles. Am I doing something wrong?

• Member Contributer

I'd go with a PR2 if you're mostly doing commuting/touring, but if you like to dice it up maybe the Michelin PP3, that's what I have on my 6 Gen and I like the way it feels. I had a PR2 set on there before and got over 10K miles out of them, so I'm hoping to get at least the same out of the rear tire this time, we'll see how the PP3 last. It's supposedly an 85/15 (Meaning street/track percentage)

:ohmy: 10K miles. How does anyone get that many miles out of a motorcycle tire? I"m lucky to get over 4K miles. Am I doing something wrong?

In contrast I barely got 3K out my Dunlop Q2s! Most of the miles were slab, LA/OC traffic etc, so not a lot of "fun" miles. Yes, there were some, but not enough to make a significant impact on tread life.

• Member Contributer

^^ Yeah Jeff, you and I are having too much fun for our tires to last 10,000 miles. :wink:

LOL Over doing it with the engine braking I guess? I didn't think I was having as much "fun" as most folks I know. I consider myself scared and afraid of killing myself..... :goofy:

Oh....answer me this if you can: can I put a 170/60 ZR17 on my rear wheel that currently runs a 180/55 ZR17? I have a 170/60 unused on the shelf.

Sounds like it's OK to use my 170/60 Dunlop D208 on the rear....any issues with putting a new Dunlop on the front? Any model Dunlop OK, I'm guessing? (Just trying to keep the brand the same in case there are handling issues...I'm assuming any Dunlop would be fine?)

A lot, and I mean a LOT of us ran the PR2 rear and pilot power front with very favorable results on the VFR. I wouldn't hesitate at all to go this route.

That is what is on my 5th gen right now.

So if we are talking about hypersport tires like the S20, has anyone used the Pilot Power 3s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

So if we are talking about hypersport tires like the S20, has anyone used the Pilot Power 3s?

I'm sure there are others who have who will chime in, but I have PP3 f/r on my '01 and Duc. I have PP3 front and PR2 rear on my '09. So far I am happy with their performance on all 3 bikes. That being said, others have said that near the end of tread life, they become "oily". I still have a ways to go before I can say I have witnessed the same thing.

• Member Contributer

Have used both and the PP3 front has about 1 1/2" of shoulder with no siping. In the wet this was a direct contributor to a spill I witnessed (along with touching the yellow line at a moderate lean angle).

I think the S20 is superior in every way and I am a Michelin Man (not that I look like Bibendum).

The whole "good in the rain" thing I ignore on all the tire selling sites I see. I just don't ride that week.

Sometimes when you are on a trip 500 or 1,000 miles from home, that isn't possible. I agree about commuting though, if it is raining, I just drive.

• Member Contributer

The tires on my VFR are from 2007, which put them 7 years old, and after 5 years you are risking it riding on dry tires. Some people like to take this chance, I don't considering how cheap it is to buy new tires.

On my '07 VFR800, I had ContiRoadAttack 2s, which were fantastic. Only problem is these have gone up in price a lot since i last purchased them, so I'm not as eager to buy them again.

Bridgestone now has the S20 which seems to be a hypersport street tire, like the RoadAttack 2s. Has anyone used these? I have read that these have a very short tread life, however.

I also see the new Bridgestone BT-023s, which seem to be well rated, but When I think of Bridgestone sport touring tires, I remember the BT-020s that were on my Triumph Sprint ST, and they were horrible tires. I'm sure these have improved a lot since 2006, however.

And of course there are the Michelin Pilot Road 2, 3, and now 4 tires. I don't need super wet grip, as the only time I ride in the rain is if I get stuck in it, so picking up the Road 2s at a good price may also be something I'd consider.

Any other tires I'm missing?

- Anthony

Anthony, besides the price deal w the Conti's do you have any other complaints? I have had my eyes on those for my next set.

• Member Contributer

Running a Dunlop Q2 on the front and a Road smart out back is a good combo as well...

Anthony, besides the price deal w the Conti's do you have any other complaints? I have had my eyes on those for my next set.

Nope, they were the best street tires I have ever used.

Running a Dunlop Q2 on the front and a Road smart out back is a good combo as well...

I've never understood why people want to run mismatched tires. I understand you get a grippy front tire and then a rear tire that will last longer, but I've never run mismatched tires on my car; the last thing I'll do is run them on a motorcycle. Tires are designed to be run in sets.

I don't mean this in a negative way towards you at all, I'm just speaking in general.

- Anthony

• Member Contributer

I did get a weird front shimmy on braking and and at low speed with the Dunlop combo and Dunlops are slippery on tar snakes but it is definitely a decent wearing combo.

The Michelin PR2's front and rear are a good high mileage combo if mileage is your most important feature.

And for the record my only issue with Michelin tires is they only work well for about 75% of their service life. They just stop sticking when they get down near the wear bars. They slide really well which makes them fun and they never get dangerous they just force me to slow down which is not really that bad...until I'm chasing Matt down some Gawdforesaken goat trail someplace.

KEB

Gravel, What gravel???

OK, I may have been taking it a little slow but at least I didn't put my foot down. :cool:

KEB

• Member Contributer

So with an 10/2005 front and a 5/2006 rear I guess i should be looking. Had at rear flat in 06 nail straight in luckly i was slowing down for a stop but i had just noticed the bike was not leaning,know where i picked it up went down fast. Add in a few poor seasons and I'm left with a scalloped front and a flat spotted rear, but i just love a nice holeshot..

• Member Contributer

I've never understood why people want to run mismatched tires. I understand you get a grippy front tire and then a rear tire that will last longer, but I've never run mismatched tires on my car; the last thing I'll do is run them on a motorcycle. Tires are designed to be run in sets.

I don't mean this in a negative way towards you at all, I'm just speaking in general.

- Anthony

I run "mismatched" tires (sport front/ sport-touring rear) on my VFR because the way that I normally ride they now wear out as a set.

I wish I could find a similar setup for my M3, the camber has the front showing cords on the inside when the rears still have another half life left.

I'm not completely convinced that the born date on a tire would make me get rid of it. I have mounted and used some pretty damn old rubber now & then and if I have an unused set that I get on sale at some point I just keep them around until I need them. I'm pretty skeptical that the age matters at all. When I bought my two VF500Fs (2008 and 2009, I think), they each came with rubber that was decades old. Like OEM kinda old.

I rode the crap outta them until they were bald, then replaced them. No issues.

Same thing with my 1000R. Old tires, and never been an issue.

(and by OLD I mean, still really good tread, just a really early birthdate on them.)

• Member Contributer

You can get 10k easy out of PR2/PP combo if you don't do a lot of sport riding, I have a little over 10k and probably another 2k to go. My VFR sees mainly commuter duty with the rare trip to the countryside, but the roads around here just aren't very conducive to spirited riding. You can only run about 6/10ths since the probability of finding a pothole or the muddy tracks from a tractor in the middle of a corner are pretty good.

Archived