Little 5Th Gen Help...

awacs

• Member Contributer

At 107k miles, I guess things like this happen. The boss (or whatever you call it) with threads for the middle bolt on the rear cowl broke off. If I have to ride with that bolt missing, so be it. But is there a reasonable way to fix it?

Thanks,

Aram

post-6299-0-48788300-1390448638.jpg

• Member Contributer

It'd take a little investigation, but maybe you could find something that would fit snugly inside of that tube, like a length of threaded rod or a piece of round bar stock.

Then maybe J B Weld, similar epoxies or even getting it tack-welded might suffice to hold it.

• Member Contributer

I think a body shop could weld that back on there real pretty like. :wink:

It'd take a little investigation, but maybe you could find something that would fit snugly inside of that tube, like a length of threaded rod or a piece of round bar stock.

Then maybe J B Weld, similar epoxies or even getting it tack-welded might suffice to hold it.

I was thinking this also.

• Member Contributer

Mine went at about 50K I'd say. I used some all thread, cut to length, and screwed in to both ends. It's been good for 40K since then. You can just see the threaded rod through the crack.

IMG_8222Large.jpg

IMG_8212Large.jpg

I wounder why they break? There should not be that mutch stress on them, just holding the plastic tail part partly.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, all. I don't weld (though a friend offered to). The threaded rod solution is brilliant, thanks.

Yep, I have run a big Givi top case for years. This little guy finally gave it up. Not only did this mount snap off, but Givi's top case support cleaved in 3 places. Again. I've gone through like 3 of those. I probably overload the case a little, from time to time, but not much or often. Those things are totally under-built. I need a real solution -- and KanadienKen is not building any 5th gen mounts.So I am case-less. :( But I digress.)

Switchblade don't know me very well, do he? I'm trying to put a little bulk back on. Also trying to put a little extra weight on the pillion seat, if you know what i mean, but we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for the ideas. Really appreciate it.

Aram

• Member Contributer

Mine broke when I had the Givi tail rack w/o the upgrade (upgrade added some flat stock). I put some thread rod in, drilled a couple of holes along the that pipe, and tacked the rod in (well, a friend did, as I don't weld). He then welded that 'bung' back on with the rod in it. IIRC it was 3/8" threaded rod.

I took the subframe off the bike so as not to mess with the electrics when welding and to be able to clean everything up for the welding process.

• Member Contributer

I wounder why they break? There should not be that mutch stress on them, just holding the plastic tail part partly.

Could it be from moving your arse over on the edge of your seat when hitting the twisties fast and rigorous? :unsure:

Now looking at the pic of my bike...I wouldn't think that would be causing it........

• Member Contributer

It's the GIVI. The seat rests entirely on the subframe. It's surprising, really, that GIVI would have designed it that way. I think it was just the lightweight tubular style rack? I know my full WingRack bolts to the subframe using the passenger grab handle mounts, then extends down to the passenger pegs for lower support.

• Member Contributer

Lots of good ideas here.... mine is fit a rod that slides into the I.D. and throw in JB weld and then pin it. Lowes stocks an assortment of roll pins.

• Member Contributer

MIne was probably the Givi hanging off. I had the seat cowl on when it snapped, causing the frankenbolt to just spin. Just take the seat off to get to the broken end, after taking off the seat cowl, after removing the frankenbolt, which is just spinning... :pissed:

Archived