Cold Weather Gear

MadFrog

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at extending my riding season a bit. Right now I ride from about April 'till October/November. Basically, I ride as long as the temp when I leave in the morning is still in the 40s.

If I wanted to extend into the 30s, and maybe even some 20s, what would I need?

Currently, I use a leather Cortech jacket with a big fleece underneath and a balaclava.

I don't mind one-piece, and it doesn't have to be 4-season gear: I already have fall/spring/summer stuff.

When looking around, I find a whole lot of different choices, and no clear buyer's guide or anything like that.

If you can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

I'm in the Washington DC area, it that makes a difference.

TIA

the best of the best would be a Roadcrafter by Aerostich, but they are around a grand.

I solved my problem with this: Fieldsheer Cyclone

SAM_4273_zps1f5a8d4d.jpg

It was about 40 bucks on eBay, and it works very, very well. Warm and well padded. Underneath I wear military long johns, an electric vest and a light sweater and I am good down to 7 degrees F. Scour eBay and the deals are there.

Also...heated grips are a must.

• Member Contributer

Eat well before you head out so the internal furnace has fuel

Heated grips

a windstopper "funnel/tube scarf" around your neck.

Instead of one thick fleece, wear thermo shirt and a thinner fleece, donot wear cotton and a pair of thermo long johns.

Maybe a thin rainjacket/windstopper over your mc jacket

Think of Anna Kournakova naked....

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Venture makes some awesome heated gear. 12v and battery powered. Heated grips help, but sometimes even they aren't enough.

I use base layers designed for bicyclists. Sometimes two long johns under my riding pants and are comfortably cold. A fleece jacket and a wind breaker does the trick along with a balaclava. Schampa makes good fleece-lined base layers.

Yeah, I know I live in Southern California, but have ridden in some very cold places. Never have used heated gear, no opinion on that.

http://www.schampa.com/product_p/sknypnt01.htm

• Member Contributer

Aerostich with a fleece under it is good into the 20s. That thing blocks a lot of air. As long as you keep your hands warm (I use scooter mitts).

• Member Contributer

Not sure how your weather is over there, but I ride down to sub-zero temps through the winter over here.

Mid-winter I can ride in my 3-season kit for about 15mins or so, but any longer than that and I really start to feel the cold.

Last year I bought a Rukka Armas suit. Don't know if they're available in the US, but of all the suits I've had, this is the warmest. It is also 100% waterproof, has outstanding crash protection and is very comfy. The liners zip out and it can be worn in much warmer temps too.

If it gets cold enough and you ride for any decent length of time, no amount of thermal underwear will prevent you from getting cold, eventually, so depending upon how far you ride and in what temps, heated gear is the only way to go. IMO, of course.

I've used heated grips for years but have disconnected them now as I bought heated inner gloves with my Klan heated gilet. Much, much better than heated grips, although you do lose the ability to control temp on the move, but for me that's a very small price to pay. With both gilet & gloves on, I only need a single layer beneath my jacket in any temp I've ridden in making riding much easier due to reduced bulk.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I guess I should have specified that I was not looking at spending a grand or more on a suit. The 'stitch and Rukka, and Klim gear are all really nice and I'm sure would keep me warm, but too rich for my blood at this time.

That Fieldhseer suit looks like the ticket, however, eBay currently only has 1 in SM size, and it goes for over $300. For that kind of money, I can get a suit in a real store, with the possibility of returning it if it doesn't fit.

That's another question I guess: at 5'7", 150lb and 30" inseam, will I be able to find a 1-peice suit that fits, or would it be simpler to look at 2-piece gear. I like the one-piece for ease of gearing up in the morning, but if I can't find one that fits, it defeats the purpose.

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and go try a few things on at a store and see what's what.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

A heated jacket liner will give you the best bang for your buck at the broadest range of temperatures without having to stop and add or remove layers. You won't spend as much as you would on high end Klim, Stitch, etc., and you can use it under any leather or textile you already have. Use a compression shirt over it on really cold days to keep it tight to your body along with a good balaclava or neck covering and you can easily ride in sub freezing temps.

• Member Contributer

Get Dual Star heated grips and these ATV Mittens, these two things alone make it possible for me to ride year around without getting cold.

Gerbing jacket liner is the next big step up.

Jim

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=atv+mittens&WTz_l=Header

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have an Aerostich 2 piece that I brought with me to the UK. I recently purchased a Gerbing liner and Gerbing T12 heated leather gloves. Both are heated off the motorcycle battery.

I just ran it through a vigorous test of cold damp weather and sheets of rain coming down on me.

UK weather in the winter is not as cold as the U.S. but it is damp and penetrates a bit.

I just rode from central London in rush hour traffic in the rain. I made it to the outer edges of London and rode of an hour with sheets of rain coming down on me and from the traffic throughout my hour journey. All of this while it was 45-48F.

The difference for me on this trial run was the heated gear. All I had was a Nike compression top, the Gerbing liner, and my Roadcrafter over it.

The jacket and gloves have 5 levels. I had the jacket and gloves at level 3 (5 being the hottest). I had to lower the jacket to 2.

My long ride had mostly 70mph speeds. There was also strong wind pushing my bike around as there was a front that rolled in. There was no lack of the elements on my ride.

When I got home I could finally see how wet my gloves were and my Aerostich Roadcrafter. What I realised was how unaffected I was through my entire ride. No more layer upon layer of thermal wear to be riding and feeling like Frankenstein with no mobility. The heated gear allowed me to arrive warm and comfortable. I was dry. My hands were dry.

It was the most challenging weather I've been in when you take into account weather and the mass exodus of London traffic.

I can't give enough praise to heated gear. I highly recommend it if you want to ride through winter and in comfort. The cold won't even affect you. I am thoroughly impressed. I never thought about heated gear coming from Texas but to extend my riding season here I have hit the jackpot.

• Member Contributer

Texfoto....glad to hear you've found a way to brave the current conditions. I too had my Keis heated gilet & gloves on yesterday for a run up to Lincoln. Toasty warm throughout.

Now we need to find something to stop this stuff they spread on the roads from staying in place for so long and being so slippery.

Archived