Brake Suggestions Needed

gig

• Member Contributer

Looking for brake suggestions, Ive never been happy with brake feel "mushy", have a 5th gen, w/ dunlop HH pads, pazzo adjustable levers, changed fluid, thought the next step would be SS lines, and thought I would start with front only, due to cost and pain in the assness, any Thoughts? Thx

• Member Contributer

get a set of speedbleeders so you can eaily yourself do a brake fluid service.

VFRD member Tightwad sells them via his website wiremybike.com at great prices.

They come in stainless steel as well :goofy:

The opinions differs as to the increase in feel/performance SS lines bring over the OEM ones.

I went for them for the looks,,,,, :cool:

• Member Contributer

Thx for the replies, over the years I've bleed, replaced fluid, few months ago had the local VFR master machinic that rides 99 vfr, rebleed while replacing head-bearing, even though he thought the brakes felt good. Im just looking for a firmer feel and thought the SS lines might help. I found a front line only kit through superbikesuppy, thought at half the price and half my labor, if anyone had done front only with good results. I haven't found much searching thread history. Thx again

• Member Contributer

Try Coremoto if the usual names don't have anything. I think you can get custom length lines from them as well.

There probably aren't any kits because of the linked braking system. Not as easy as three lines running from point A to B.

• Member Contributer

Looking for brake suggestions, Ive never been happy with brake feel "mushy", have a 5th gen, w/ dunlop HH pads, pazzo adjustable levers, changed fluid, thought the next step would be SS lines, and thought I would start with front only, due to cost and pain in the assness, any Thoughts? Thx

If you get to the point of saying --- "effe these linked brakes" -- swapping to VTR lower fork tubes (super hawk) and going to RC51/929/F4i brakes calipers and master cylinder is a great way to go. And no more linked system bleeding fun to boot. (pics in my gallery)

• Member Contributer

If you get to the point of saying --- "effe these linked brakes" -- swapping to VTR lower fork tubes (super hawk) and going to RC51/929/F4i brakes calipers and master cylinder is a great way to go. And no more linked system bleeding fun to boot. (pics in my gallery)

To be honest, anyone who thinks it's the linked brakes, I say it's in your head, no offense, at least just regarding them being "linked" brakes. In both the 5 and 6 Gen, as they are a little different, the fronts are pretty much a "stand alone" brake system, with the exception of the secondary master cylinder on the left front that triggers the rear (single center piston on the rear caliper). If you look at the brake bleeding procedure, the fronts are pretty much bled and left alone, again with the exception of the left front secondary MC, that does not affect the front per se. Which means that you can just bleed and/or change the front lines without any need to touch the rear brakes, and as every rider knows, with the exception of maybe HD riders, that the front brakes provide a majority of your stopping power.

The rear brake is where I would say that if you had an issue with linked brakes, I could somewhat agree, as the rear pedal only triggers one piston of the front brake(s), single middle piston on the left caliper on the 6 Gen and single middle pistons on the L/R calipers on the 5 Gen, not giving you much front braking power at all. This setup also changes the fronts a little, where as the 6 Gen has 5 pistons working with the front lever, the 5 Gen only has four, at least until the rear pedal is pressed.

With that, I currently have SS lines on my 6 Gen (F/R) along with EBC HH brakes pads and I hove no issue stopping at all, nor do I feel my brakes are spongy. I can even stop just by using my rear brake lever only, with decent stopping distances too. On my 5 Gen, stock lines but same brake pads, it's a little different, although my fronts work well, still not as good as on my 6 Gen, I cannot get the same stopping distance out of the rear pedal as I do with my 6 Gen. Maybe because the bike is newer and/or the SS lines contribute to it, or perhaps the small difference in the two makes the 6 Gen just a little better?? On my list of mods for my 5 Gen, I plan on putting SS lines on, it's something all of my bikes have had, even my off road bikes, call it a piece of mind mod.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

To be honest, anyone who thinks it's the linked brakes, I say it's in your head, no offense, at least just regarding them being "linked" brakes.

Some people like them and some people dont. I just offered an option.....

:cool:

• Member Contributer

Having just pulled off all the linked system and re-installing a total of three SS braided lines (VTR swap). I am very happy I did it.

One thing that I would comment on is if you swap out to SS, ANY rubber lines left are still a weak link in the linked system.

I now also have one rear line through the swingarm, sooo nice!

• Member Contributer

To be honest, anyone who thinks it's the linked brakes, I say it's in your head, no offense, at least just regarding them being "linked" brakes.

Some people like them and some people dont. I just offered an option.....

:cool:

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking a stance for or against linked braking systems, I was just pointing out that if someone thought that their "mushy" brakes were due to them being linked, that this wasn't necessarily the issue. I just used your post as the reply option as your comment of "effe these linked brakes" caught my eye. I totally get, "to each his own" but I think that proper bleeding and better lines is the key to removing the "mushy" feeling, not getting rid of the linked brakes themselves...

• Member Contributer

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking a stance for or against linked braking systems, I was just pointing out that if someone thought that their "mushy" brakes were due to them being linked, that this wasn't necessarily the issue. I just used your post as the reply option as your comment of "effe these linked brakes" caught my eye. I totally get, "to each his own" but I think that proper bleeding and better lines is the key to removing the "mushy" feeling, not getting rid of the linked brakes themselves...

Not so much 'linked brakes cause mushy levers', but 'linked brakes are a PITA to bleed to get a firm lever'.

• Member Contributer

Not so much 'linked brakes cause mushy levers', but 'linked brakes are a PITA to bleed to get a firm lever'.

Maybe, but only for the rear IMO. The front as I mentioned is really an independent system. Having done four VFRs, three 6 Gens and one 5 Gen, this has always been my finding. YMMV

• Member Contributer

I now also have one rear line through the swingarm, sooo nice!

Do you have install pics? Just ordered lines and fittings for this myself.

Pm them to you Sat. Morning. Surprisingly simple and did not take long.

• Member Contributer

Personally, I had no issues at all with the linked system. I am a minimalist, and to properly maintain and troubleshoot a system the KISS approach is best for me. That is why I have done some of the standard issue VFRD mods. Pair, COP and delink.

• Member Contributer

Is ditching the linked brake system fairly common?

I dont think so, but some of us determined fooles just gotta do it. I'm glad I did. (Hey there's a poll for a count.)

- The thing is, I have never heard of anybody saying that they wish they didnt redo the brakes back to stock

after they have gone ahead, and did the mod with the full delink.

• Member Contributer

Is ditching the linked brake system fairly common?

I dont think so, but some of us determined fooles just gotta do it. I'm glad I did. (Hey there's a poll for a count.)

I've installed a lot of aftermarket brake lines, but I'm not very familiar with the linked brakes on the VFR. I have very limited experience riding with the system too. I was curious if those who did it find it to be a noticeable improvement or otherwise.