4Th Gen Ohlins Shock On A 5Th Gen...?

Daniel Paul

• Member Contributer

Maybe send a PM to Jamie Daugherty. He is a member here and his company Daugherty Motorsports manufactures modified CBR929 shocks for all generations of VFR's. If anyone would know the answer to your question, Jamie would likely be the one to ask.

Here is link to his site profile page. You should be able to send him message from there.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/user/6344-jamiedaugherty/

• Member Contributer

The 4th, and 5th gen shocks I have here appear to be very similar in length though I've never actually measured 'em. If you don't have an answer here by tomorrow I'll grab a tape, and let you know.

IIRC, the 4th Gen has the longest eye to eye measurement of the 3rd Gen to 6th Gen VFRs.

It still might work as people had shimmed up 5th Gen shocks to quicken up handling... just find out what the difference is in legnth and see if it'somwhere near what people are extending their shocks when they shim them up on 5th gens.....

This is a question I also asked as I had a shop nearby selling a 4th gen Öhlins shock (now) sold for half price. I found its some shorter (4mm) and use a different spring rate (stiffer spring), otherwise it sure fits. Sadly some one else bought the shock before me....

• Member Contributer

I think 4th gen eye 2 eye is 31.5cm 32.5cm

sold my spare to a guy preparing a Robin Reliant to ride across the Sahara...

Now that's a special kind of crazy.

Loved the Top Gear episode on the Robin Reliant. "OH, it's turned over again, OH DEAR!"

6B20D156-1BA5-4D25-8C8F-CF527BE99698.jpg

Now for some actual VFR content:

Don't know about the 4th ---> 5th gen shock swap, but I have a 6th gen Ohlins on my 5th gen right now.

It's a little shorter overall, but I made up for that by fabbing a longer upper shock mount.

IIRC, 6th gen is like 317mm and 5th gen is 326mm or thereabouts.

• Member Contributer

Does anybody know offhand if a Ohlins shock off of a 4th gen will bolt on and be the correct length for a 5th Gen?

I have a Penske 4th gen shock on my 5th gen. The shock is height adjustable. There is a thread on this board where I asked the same question a year ago. on 4th gen 5th gen shocks. There are some responses with pictures and measurements.

• Member Contributer

According to my rule the 5th gen shock is 325mm. 4th gen is 323, but could be off a bit due to it being on the bike. Bottom line is not enough difference to worry about since the Ohlins likely has an adjustment for the ride height. You can also shim the upper mount if you need more.

• 1 year later...

Interesting that I find this thread almost after the fact. I've a great like new WP off my 4th gen. Now I have a 5th, first off thoughts had me thinking it won't work, Fit? Maybe. but when I thought about how the 5th gen swing arm pivots off the rear of the engine, this got me thinking that the rise and fall ratio would be different over the 4th. Hence valving and spring rates would need to be different. hopefully I'm wrong. as I sure like what the WP did for the 4th gen. Be great to have it in the 5th. Since I'm not finding it's companion for the 5th. this has me on guard if it would work out, then I have the WP almost ready to ship to a new owner. But before I do that, Any one care to make a factual statement saying yes it will work out just fine? Or?

Archived