4Th Gen: Front Fork Brace Or Cbr600 F3 Forks?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

choices choice what do you think/know.....

Which would be the best upgrade for my redslut:

- A Front Fork Brace (a la Coerce) on the existing OEM forks (preload only)

or

- a set of used CBR600 F3 forks?

If anyone fitted these to their 4th Gen, how far do they stick from the top yoke? (V4 rosso believes the F3 forks are a bit shorter)

or

don't bother, spend the $ on good whisky.....

and no, an USD conversion is not on the $ cards..... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I vote both, or all three if you include the whiskey option...I say upgrade to F3 internals using your 4G fork tubes and add a fork brace as well...

Go for the F3 fork with the better internals + a fork brace. You might have to add in different springs to match up with the VFR's heavier weight, but It's still cheaper and easier to do than going USD, I'm sure....

I've also been dreaming of going with USDs for my 4th gen for many years now, but the money and time to do it just never materializes. So I'm pretty much happy with the braced OEM setup. Figure I'll just buy a new bike one day if I want the super good modern suspension to ride on.

• Member Contributer

I'd go with F3, either swap the internals or the whole thing. You can always add a fork brace to that later. I think F3 tubes are longer than the 5th gen tubes by a good amount. I would think that they would also be longer than the 4th gen.

V4 Rosso gives the right answer, i supplied him with the internals of an F3 fork. He used these in his 4th gen bike.

Cheapest way is to find a bended fork with good internals and swap these. The internals i gave to V4 Rosso were left overs from a complete fork, used to rebuild the race bike of a friend after a serious crash. The race bike was fitted with high tech WP stuff.

• Member Contributer

Cheers guys!

Rosso is still pondering USD on his 3rd gen (same fork size), maybe he can hurry up so I buy his forks of him? :-)

• Member Contributer

Update

Just picked up a set of F3 forks with -as per the odometer- 33,000kms on them. $70 incl axle

Time to give them a good clean; they have the drain bolts on the side, so changing oil at a later date is easier.

I will mount them in spring I suppose (no garage and daylight working hours in my front garden get shorter, and wetter...)

so...

Has any 4th gen owner fitted complete F3 forks?

How muchmm (or inch) did you have then through the top yoke?

If you did change the oil, what weight/brand did you use!

Picture will follow once properly cleaned (they are almost clean but almost is not good enough for VFRD :goofy: )

Just compare the measurements of your VFR forks to the F3......and you should be able to establish a baseline to work with on how much of the tubes should show above the triple clamp minimum.

Then go from there if you want a steeper front end = quicker handling. Do keep in mind though that the F3 fork was supporting a lighter bike than your red mistress, so it could be softer and also result in more static sag, so you might have to consider stiffer springs.

I'd also still consider adding a fork brace to the F3 fork to get the Max out of it....

• Member Contributer

Did a quick measure to verify that they are 41mm CHECK!

Both F3 and VFR appear very close in length 80-81cm but with the VFR ones fitted (and thus weight on them) I will only know once I take 'm out.

Will record measurement etc. to have a base line, good tip!

post-8974-0-96800600-1384539174.jpg

post-8974-0-47519600-1384539164.jpg

post-8974-0-24932300-1384539157.jpg

As for braces, am looking at the COERCE but also one from Germany

Kern-stabi is the brand, they also sell bolt on stanchion protectors...

$T2eC16RHJIMFHJQ7e2J8BSZOmu)gWw~~60_35.J

They can also supply one with the fork clamp section black, but the centre plate will be aluminum/chrome

i250_4279schwarz.jpg

Or blue????

i250_4278blau.jpg

Red?

i250_4277rot.jpg

gold?

i250_4280gold.jpg

silver?

KSPP-1080.jpg

The COERCE is cheaper, but if NL Customs hit me for import duties and handling it will be equal...

• Member Contributer

JZH must have been attacked by a brace of flying forks when he was a child........

Ciao!

That's dam funny ,

I can go ahead and give his response :

" I DON'T GET IT "

David ...

Excellent choose Dutchy !!!!

• Member Contributer

You guys remind me of "Darksiders", loud pipes aficionados or HID converts. Why are you so defensive? Surely, you've got some objective evidence that 41mm forks would benefit from being braced in that way. A suspension expert of some repute? A magazine test? Nothing at all? :mellow:

Ciao,

You guys remind me of "Darksiders", loud pipes aficionados or HID converts. Why are you so defensive? Surely, you've got some objective evidence that 41mm forks would benefit from being braced in that way. A suspension expert of some repute? A magazine test? Nothing at all? :mellow:

Ciao,

Sure,...... riding my bikes with fork braces and feeling the improvement is enough evidence for me and apparently others in the forum....

I strongly suggest you try it before you trash it??..... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Done skinny forks without, and then with, braces on two bikes, including the current gen4. Clearly steadier in the harder turns, esp in trailbraking stability as one loads the front. Holding a line is more precise, no tendency to weave if pavement is not so smooth, and less chatter if upset by ripples or something that starts a harmonic. I think it helps control the geometry by resisting the spread of the fork tube tops that the the bending moment the slider tubes try to impose if flexed laterally by loads in the plane of the axis of the axle, i.e., twisting one fork tube up and the other down, trying to pry the tubes apart, or "cornering forces". My thoughts. 2¢ in the fare box. please......

• Member Contributer

Ciao,

I suppose my evidence would be that Honda engineers spaced the forks further apart on future models (VFR) that had the same basic fork as the Superhawk....to increase the stiffness of the front fork to better deal with improvements in brake and tire technology.

Why are you against any improvements over what the corporate bean counters graced us with on our mass produced motorcycles?

• Member Contributer

There was a pretty good animation of the different ways the forks bend in a turn and under braking and that, and what a fork brace helps with. It was exaggerated, but if the forks bend out 0.010" the bushings will have to take that force, which increases stiction. The fork brace tries to keep the forks in line more and reduce stiction and wear on the bushings.

• Member Contributer

In spring I will first put new oil in the F3's (any recommendation on oil weight and airpocket other than the cbr600 manual to "compensate for the 4th gen being heavier?).

I have a set of Wilbers front spings in my 4th gen and if they are about the same length to the F3+spacer, should I fit those in the F3? Or is that a case of crash, die and burn. (and do it all again next time).

I do not know what spec the Wilbers' are.......

Have some spare $ left after buying the F3 forks, so flogging a few bits I no longer need to get to the brace price point. More fun that way over simply pulling the plastic out :cool:

If the lenght of the springs are about the same put in the Wilbers. They are much better then the original Honda springs. And the Wilbers have the right charateristics for the VFR.

Draining bolts on the side is good for a oil shower when you are not working in the right order. Been there done that :pissed:

But the big advantage is, you do not need an impact wrench for the bolts.

In spring I will first put new oil in the F3's (any recommendation on oil weight and airpocket other than the cbr600 manual to "compensate for the 4th gen being heavier?).

I have a set of Wilbers front spings in my 4th gen and if they are about the same length to the F3+spacer, should I fit those in the F3? Or is that a case of crash, die and burn. (and do it all again next time).

Have some spare $ left after buying the F3 forks, so flogging a few bits I no longer need to get to the brace price point. More fun that way over simply pulling the plastic out :cool:

You can definitely reuse your springs. I will send you a pm later re: fork oil and air gap, etc.

• Member Contributer

Use the VFR springs and adjust any length discrepancy with the length of the spacers...your oil weight depends on valving. I do not know what valves are installed so....

• Member Contributer

Valving will be bog standard I assume, otherwise the seller would have charged me more for "custom forks" :-)

Danke dir Seb!

Archived