'86 Vf1000R Restoration Begins

Kel

• Member Contributer

The weather is starting to get cold so I figured I'd get the '86 apart and in boxes for the winter. Plus I need the space. Don't get your popcorn ready just yet, probably won't be any updates till spring.

Around 2.5 hours to get to here. Lots of non-oem fasteners on this girl. Everything else looked pretty good.

• Member Contributer

So Awesome. Love the dramatic music!

Ha. Yeah, the music was in anticipation of the inevitable bomb shell discovery. Something broken, missing, burnt, or there was a 500 motor in it. Luckily nothing came up so...

and back in one piece in 6:20 too??? :goofy:

Yep, 6.20 months.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! Top notch as always, Kel.

Thanks bud.

• Member Contributer

Pretty cool. That's a good amount of work done in 2.5 hrs. So now all the parts are up in storage in labeled bins? Frame and engines do take up a lot less space than a complete bike, until you fill your attic storage.

• Member Contributer

Damn man. Always pictured you with more hair.

:goofy:

Funny, always pictured you thnner...huh.

• Member Contributer

Funny, Kel and I have the same barber apparently...

:cool:

Good luck with the resto!

• Member Contributer

Touché! lol

:wink:

Thanks bud.

• Member Contributer

Pretty cool. That's a good amount of work done in 2.5 hrs. So now all the parts are up in storage in labeled bins? Frame and engines do take up a lot less space than a complete bike, until you fill your attic storage.

Yep, 2 bins worth of parts. The body panels are the big space taker but they're headed for the basement. The rest of the stuff will slot in nicely amongst the other garage clutter.

• Member Contributer

We just cleaned out the garage attic. we had two kiddie pools full of junk. The pools were so old and deteriorated, they would crumble and break apart when you picked it up. Afterwards, we were thinking of how you could fit an entire bike or two up there. I swear MBD is a real disease.

• Member Contributer

We just cleaned out the garage attic. we had two kiddie pools full of junk. The pools were so old and deteriorated, they would crumble and break apart when you picked it up. Afterwards, we were thinking of how you could fit an entire bike or two up there. I swear MBD is a real disease.

My garage is the only place that is truly mine and it's the most cluttered spot we own. It's hard to argue with my wife that I'm the pack rat of the group. It doesn't help that my '87 Saab SPG is taking up the other bay waiting for a restoration. I'm thinking...maybe...an interior wrap around ramp to drive bikes up to the attic space...hmm.

Touché! lol

I was going to say toupe, but thought better of it. :biggrin:

The inside of my garage hasn't seen a car in almost 10 years. And I still don't have enough room! It's never really enough, is it? I could fit more in my attic, but I have so much below that I don't always have access to it.

• Member Contributer

Touché! lol

I was going to say toupe, but thought better of it. :biggrin:

The inside of my garage hasn't seen a car in almost 10 years. And I still don't have enough room! It's never really enough, is it? I could fit more in my attic, but I have so much below that I don't always have access to it.

I was going to look for a treadmill emoticon, but thought better of it. :biggrin:

Yes, it's hard for me to even set up my ladder to get to the upper storage.

• Member Contributer

Funny, Kel and I have the same barber apparently...

:cool:

The best looking men generally end up bald just to give the rest of them a chance with the women. Ain't that right Kel?

Looking forward to your restoration. Are you going to keep this one stock or do you have something even cooler planned?

• Member Contributer

Looking forward to your restoration. Are you going to keep this one stock or do you have something even cooler planned?

This one will be as close to bone stock as I can get it.

Nice job! What brand is that lift? Looks like it would be useful.

Don't know the brand. A local HD shop was throwing it out in the trash so a buddy grabbed it and gave it to me. It had no platform. Originally I had it long enough to drive on but most of the time I need a lift, I'm doing either front end work or taking the rear wheel/swingarm off, so I cut it down to the short version. Works like a charm and the price was right.

Nice!

FYI, I've got a set of ready-to-go carbys just sitting on the shelf if you're interested in a core trade at some point.

I've also got japanese specific screwdrivers.

Jack

http://www.oldschoolcarbs.com

Thanks for the heads up.

• Member Contributer

dalesvfr, on 08 Nov 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:snapback.png

Nice job! What brand is that lift? Looks like it would be useful.

Don't know the brand. A local HD shop was throwing it out in the trash so a buddy grabbed it and gave it to me. It had no platform. Originally I had it long enough to drive on but most of the time I need a lift, I'm doing either front end work or taking the rear wheel/swingarm off, so I cut it down to the short version. Works like a charm and the price was right.

Gotta have one those's ..

• Member Contributer

Kel,

When did you pick up that bike? Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Check out:

http://www.dzusfasteners.net/

Thanks bud.

Read about it here...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75432-good-lordwhat-have-i-done/

• Member Contributer

Up in Maine? I think I saw the ad and was concidering calling, but figured I need to finally finish my restoration before starting another.

Archived