Well I Done D@mn Did It!

Duc2V4

• Member Contributer

I pulled the trigger and bought a tire changer off of eBay... No-Mar Cycle Hill "Big Package" ($655 shipped) w/tire balance unit as well. Here are a few pics. Although I didn't take any of the tire balance unit yet, it's still in the box, that will be for tomorrow. I have to say I am impressed by how quickly I received it and how well everything was packaged, pretty much everything in its place and everything accounted for, at least in the changer box, I'll find out tomorrow with the balance unit. Although it comes with a floor mount "kit" (concrete anchor bolts) I'm going to make a base for it so I can move it around the garage. I'm quickly running out of space here...Wonder if I can move stuff into the wife's garage without her knowing, hmm. :ph34r:

Top layer of the box

post-23057-0-80665600-1377229009.jpg

Under that there's this stuff

post-23057-0-68648900-1377229018.jpg

Weights, DVD

post-23057-0-90415200-1377229027.jpg

But wait, there's more...

post-23057-0-51180400-1377229036.jpg

And one more item under the second foam, the bead breaker tip

post-23057-0-62038500-1377229046.jpg

Some spare parts and the "nuts and bolts" for assembly

post-23057-0-03039400-1377229056.jpg

Pretty much assembled at this point

post-23057-0-99574500-1377229065.jpg

And finally a "test" fit

post-23057-0-75888000-1377229075.jpg

Wonder if I can move stuff into the wife's garage without her knowing, hmm. :ph34r:

Look like a nice piece of kit.

For your question I'd guess, no way. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Great investment. Can I come over for my next tire change? =D

Hey stranger! Of course you can, just let me know when it's time.

• Member Contributer

I've had the same Cycle Hill unit for around 3 years now and have been very pleased with it. I sprayed truck bed liner on the bead breaker arm so it wouldn't scratch the rim and it has worked well for that purpose. I see you also received a "yellow thing" bead keeper accessory from them. It is great and it will come in very handy to keep the tire bead from creeping up when doing tire mounts. I got lucky a few years ago and bought the trailer hitch attachment from their website on clearance and now I see they don't sell it anymore. They do however have an attachment that you mount the changer to and then park your car tire on the other end to keep in from moving around but seems a bit pricey to me for what it is and I'm not sure how well it would work. I've done lots of changes on the machine and can tell you that the key to easy tire changes is lots of lube!

Rollin

• Member Contributer

30+ tire changes on my Cycle Hill with the Receiver Hitch mount, great investment. Paid for itself in less than 2 years and I love having the freedom of changing tires whenever I want.

Wonder why they discontinued it and went with only the roll-on type? Think someone drove off with the changer still connected to the hitch and sued? The roll-on looks pretty handy but I have no complaints with the hitch mount.

KEB

• Member Contributer

I picked up the same package about three years ago, it's easily paid for itself by now. Be advised, you'll need the big cone adaptor for the VFR rear wheel... unless it came with the kit, mine didn't. Nice score!

• Member Contributer

I picked up the same package about three years ago, it's easily paid for itself by now. Be advised, you'll need the big cone adaptor for the VFR rear wheel... unless it came with the kit, mine didn't. Nice score!

The units is supposed to come with small and medium cones, so we'll see later today.

So far I am very happy with what I see from the quality of the changer itself. I debated for a while and ultimately decided to just do it. With 3 bikes and at least two sets of tires needing to be changed in the next few weeks, I'll at least be saving a minimum of $80 ($20/tire avg. off bike cost) almost immediately, plus there's the time saved. Time to drive to and from the shop, time waiting for them to get to my wheels, etc. I figure even if it takes a couple/few years to pay for itself, I feel it's a worthwhile investment. It's not like I'm all of a sudden going to stop needing tires!

• Member Contributer

Nice score.

I got the same one a few years ago, and nothing but good things to say about it -- especially since it's paid for itself several times over.

• Member Contributer

Nice unit. It's great being able to change your own tires. And you'll absolutely love the yellow third hand jobbie. It makes mounting the tires a snap since the bead doesn't creep around the wheel now.

• Member Contributer

Congrats! NoMar make the best changers IMHO. Sue and Steve are great and their customer service is outstanding. I have the older Pro model; anyone in the area is welcome to use it if I am around. Here is something I did for them a few years back:

Eva4NoMar.jpg

• Member Contributer

Doesn't she know she needs a wheel for that tire?

Look closely, LOL ;) there is a wheel under the tire (Monster S2R as I recall). Interestingly, she was in Yukon about 4 days ago.

• Member Contributer

And you forgot to tell her to stop by??? LOL

On the way back from Indy for MotoGP. Didn't realize you were there. BTW, I envy your gas prices!

You can see the wheel better here ;)

GoP-Eva001.jpg

• Member Contributer

Oh yes...I can really see the , ah, wheel...yes the wheel, I see it now! I'm afraid the mods may short circuit this thread...

• Member Contributer

Oh yes...I can really see the , ah, wheel...yes the wheel, I see it now! I'm afraid the mods may short circuit this thread...

Back on topic then! I've had the NoMar for a few years now, and I've used both manual and semi-auto changers from Coats, etc. The NoMar is the best I've used to date, especially when changing magnesium, carbon, or any other wheel whose finish you might be concerned about. I believe there is a hitch mount option for the changer Duc2V4 posted so you can use it at trackdays, etc. Definitely money well spent!

• Member Contributer

So to all you guys who own one...for standard, sport bike, and sport touring tire changes is the Cycle Hill model good, or is the Classic lots easier to use?

So to all you guys who own one...for standard, sport bike, and sport touring tire changes is the Cycle Hill model good, or is the Classic lots easier to use?

For the do it yourself guy who is doing under a dozen tires per year the Cycle Hill model does great for me. I have seen the Classic in action at the annual motorcycle show, it is a slick machine, I would have one if I were using it all the time.

• Member Contributer

Well, until I get to use I can't answer the question, but expect a review sometime later on. Although pricey, I think it's a worthwhile investment. Not sure they still have the trailer hitch attachment, but they do have one that you drive your vehicle on to hold it down, unfortunately this wouldn't work for my garage or town home complex, HOA would have a fit if I tried to do this outside of my garage!

• Member Contributer

The units is supposed to come with small and medium cones, so we'll see later today.

So far I am very happy with what I see from the quality of the changer itself. I debated for a while and ultimately decided to just do it. With 3 bikes and at least two sets of tires needing to be changed in the next few weeks, I'll at least be saving a minimum of $80 ($20/tire avg. off bike cost) almost immediately, plus there's the time saved. Time to drive to and from the shop, time waiting for them to get to my wheels, etc. I figure even if it takes a couple/few years to pay for itself, I feel it's a worthwhile investment. It's not like I'm all of a sudden going to stop needing tires!

...you know, now that I look closer, I see I didn't purchase the "big" package. Perhaps the medium cones will do the job, I had to order the big cone adaptor after the fact. Hope it works out, again you're going to really like the kit!

• Member Contributer

Well, until I get to use I can't answer the question, but expect a review sometime later on. Although pricey, I think it's a worthwhile investment. Not sure they still have the trailer hitch attachment, but they do have one that you drive your vehicle on to hold it down, unfortunately this wouldn't work for my garage or town home complex, HOA would have a fit if I tried to do this outside of my garage!

Well, I'm envious and will keep an eye out for your review...

Archived