Heavy Duty Clutch Springs

VIFFR

Im looking at getting one of SebSpeeds clear clutch covers in a month or so.

Whilst it is all apart, I figure I would replace the clutch springs with a heavy duty version. Does anyone here recommend a brand they have used or know about?

Cheers!

IMG_2601_zpsae154370.jpg

• Member Contributer

On other projects I've had to shim the springs with washers. Not very elegant, but it worked. That may not be the answer you wanted, but maybe some nice stainless?

I have been running barnett 100 pound clutch springs in my bike for a year or so now. It makes for a heavier clutch pull, but much more progressive launching and take offs. The pull at the lever is not bad most of the time, but it gets tiring during heavy traffic. On the other hand I was able to raise my launch rpms at the track from about 4000 rpms to over 8000 rpms. (even higher with fork straps, but that's a different story)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Barnett-red-clutch-springs-MT-91-6-new-/130840037710?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e76ac894e&ssPageName=RSS:B:STORE:US:101

Barnett Springs-99lb-#MT-91.

Thats what you want

• Member Contributer

yes. if you are just going to replace the springs go with Barnett or EBC but do disassemble the clutch pack and scuff up the steels if after inspection you determine to continue with the stock fibers and steels.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

Its a fairly stock bike, staintune, airbox mod, K&N filter and sprockets. A pcIII is on its way too.

The main reason I am looking at heavier clutch springs is I don't really like the feel of the oem clutch. Its too light. Ive ridden a mates bike who had his changed (Kawa 600) and was really firm and had a great feel to it.

We do go drag racing on a regular basis too, so getting 6 runs on a Wednesday night, or up to 12 on a Sunday, its bound to take a bit of a pounding.

End of the day, Im changing it out (I've decided to change out the clutch pack whilst its apart) purely as I would like to. Its going to be exposed, its only costing me $150 for it all and its only another few hours work.

If your steel plates are still good, not warped, overheated, scored or worn thin, then you can bead blast them and reuse them.

I just changed my frictions and kept the OE steels, they were fine.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/68154-clutch-and-grab/

i strongly recommend oem plates with the 100 pound Barnett springs if you are drag racing. i have not had good experiences with aftermarket clutch plates.

also with heavy springs, the oem clutch is capable of handling more power than you could ever even dream of throwing at it.

• Member Contributer

Welcome, great looking bike, love the matching wheels! I've got a Seb clutch cover on the way too and need to make some decisions on plates & springs.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Reviving an old thread since -while I was sourcing some parts for a US member- I ordered a set of heavier "by 10%" springs.

Last time I measured the OEM's were well in spec, but with Seb's clear cover it is easy to switch and try them :beer:

post-8974-0-41781000-1411565007.jpg

They come in a pack of 6, so one will make a nice key fob... :goofy:

post-8974-0-82617500-1411565347.jpg

OEM's are 44.4mm

post-8974-0-56868300-1411565005.jpg

These measure 45 and a bit

post-8974-0-72151100-1411565009.jpg

Saturday sees the "VFR NL Forum Wrench Day" so will fit them then

i doubt you notice the ten percent at all. i think the stockers are about 50 pounds, i tried 75 pound springs and they helped with clutch modulation but there was still some chatter. the chatter didnt entirely go away until i installed the 100 pound springs.

Archived