Tank Bag Or Tail Bag?

So I've got a longer bike trip coming up in August. I'm hooking up with a group of riders in Minneapolis and we are riding down to Santa Fe, back up through Colorado to Sturgis (banghead.gif.pagespeed.ce.8iLbFYV4Bc.gif) and back to Minneapolis.

I think I'm all set on larger luggage on my VFR1200. I've got a 46L top case and some OEM saddle bags.

Since these bags will be full with clothes, extra gear, etc, it would be nice to have something small(ish) that I can use to store stuff like extra ear plugs, kickstand pads, camera, etc. My thought is that whichever I get, would most likely be used on a daily bases after my trip to hold small stuff if need be... This way I don't need to throw on the saddle bags if I'm planning on bringing water or something with me on a ride.

If I get a tank bag, I'm going to get one of the GIVI tank lock bags so nothing touches the paint (like this: GIVI T489). I like the idea of having some storage in front of me, but having to remove the tank bag every time I fill up (every 100 miles or so since my SO rides a Maga with 120 mile range) sounds like a PITA.

I came across an AXIO tail bag that is pretty small, but could semi-permanently attach to the passenger seat. It would be out of the way, never need to be removed (since nobody likes riding on the back of my VFR anyways) and doesn't get in the way of my top case.
AXIO Tail Bag

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

18570d1339082519-tail-bag-axio-tailbag.j

So what are your thoughts? Is there a reason people migrate towards tank bags over tail bags?

I switched from tank to tail bag for the reason you mentioned, it's a PITA to remove every time you fill up. The only downside to the tail bag is that you won't access it at a stoplight if you need to take out/put away glasses, etc.

Just picked up this Oxford tail bag because I HATE tank bags and I dont want to wear a back pack when I am riding in Europe. It is very versitile with built in straps , a zip off base and it is expandable.

Picture060.jpg

I ride with this set up 24/7. My tank bag does stay on with magnets(and one retaining strap to the front fork top tree), and I just keep it clean, and have 45,000 with no scratches(opinions may vary). But I've had the "No Touch", tank bag on my Beemer and getting to the gas cap was no trouble with either.

Beemers was suspended from tank cap rail and all I needed to do was flip the bag up and away.

With the Magnetic bag I just lift and set it over to the right of the cap, and fill and go. Both of the tail bags I have don't touch the paint. The one you're looking at is smaller than my black one. I keep an electric tyre pump and repair kit / Frog top / camera / gps. everything else goes up front.(10 lbs. back, and 5 front).

VFR PIC

DSC00325.JPG

DSC00187.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00170.JPG

DSC00169.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

DSC00117.JPG

DSC00118.JPG

I'm not a big fan of either tank or tail bags. 99% of the time I ride with just the top case and/or panniers. The only time I mount the tank bag is on long day rides and weekend tours. Even then, the main use is to house my communications gear and other electronics. The clip-on map pockets also comes in handy. If I have to leave my bike, I just unclip the tank bag with all contents inside and throw it into the top case and lock it.

So for the very specific use I have for the little bag, tank works better. Everything else stay in lockable hard luggage.

• Member Contributer

Daily use, I leave a small tail bag strapped to the OEM trunk mount on my 6th Gen. I do have a tank bag I like for trips, as it keeps sun glasses, wallet, camera, water bottle, snacks, etc handy. It is nice to be able to grab something quick with out getting off the bike. I use the OEM trunk primarily for trips.

I have that same Held tailbag in the pics above....bought it for use on my Ninja 1000, great piece of luggage.

I have about a dozen tankbags, and frequently travel out of a tankbag alone.... no bother undoing a couple of buckles to get gas....

When I picked up the bike doing a fly 'n ride, I brought a small duffel and a couple of ROK straps. Worked great for a couple of days on the road - the grab handles back there make a nice 'platform' to support a duffel without rubbing bodywork.

I travel pretty light though, so with the oem saddlebags and a tankbag....I might carry that duffel or the Held tailbag, but that would be for a two-weeker at least.

I can travel for a week or two with this gear:

P1020791.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use a tank bag. I'm not very flexible so I mount the bike by swinging my leg over the rear. Top boxes and tail bags get in the way.

• Member Contributer

I have had a tank bag on my bikes for the past 12 years and feel like I'm not dressed when I go on short rides w/o one. You have the right idea with the tank lock from Givi. One easily reachable lever disconnects it for refueling - my last tank bag had three straps = true PITA. I think trying to mount the VFR with a tail bag in the way of your foot going over the seat every time you get on would be much more of a hassle than pulling one lever each time you refuel.

My tank bag usually carries my clear face shield for night riding, rain gear, camera, bottled water, snacks of some sort, paper/pen, a bungee or two, small roll of duct tape, and a few basic tools.

• Member Contributer

Tank bag for the reasons that tbzep and mailman cited above. I have a Bagster that detaches easily for fuelling. It also protects the tank. So after all these years my plastics are scratched and cracked, but my tank is pristine.

• Member Contributer

Givi Tanklok.

If you're worried about working around it at a filling station, don't. It's literally 2 seconds to remove if you're slow, and just sits on the seat while you top up. I've never remotely considered it an inconvenience, and it's really easy to utilize as a "man purse" while on the road. Everything that you need, never notice it's there, doesn't get in the way, no damage to body work and tough as nails. Daily use on mine for over 9 months, 3 touring trips thus far and several weekenders, not a lick of an issue.

Can't go wrong IMO, but tank bags aren't for everyone, so YMMV.

I have 3 magnetic tank bags and will likely buy a 4th soon. I love the convenience and have seen no tank scratches yet. It's a minor pain to dismount and remount during each fill-up, but it only takes a couple seconds. I have a nice big FirstGear tail bag, but as others mentioned above, it's a hassle to mount and dismount the bike with that thing in the way. It doesn't help that I have short legs and can't clear the tail bag easily.

I will admit a tank bag, especially the larger ones, can kind of get in your way - especially when sportriding - but to me the convenience of having items immediately accessible without having to get off the bike is well worth it. Sunglasses, water, Chapstick, maps, GPS unit, visor cleaner and cloth, etc. Plus of course I like a tank bag with a clear map window when I'm touring.

The only negative for a tail bag IMO, besides hiking my leg over or around it, is the additional weight over the rear wheel, which adversely affects handling to some degree. Coupled with the weight of loaded hard bags, it makes the front end a little lighter than I'd like, especially in the twisties.

Thanks for all the input guys. I just scored a sweet deal on a GIVI Tank Lock tank bag (I think). I got the 4L GIVI bag + HONDA tank ring adapter kit for $50. Not a lot of space I know, but enough ear plugs, sun glasses and such.

Thanks for all the input guys. I just scored a sweet deal on a GIVI Tank Lock tank bag (I think). I got the 4L GIVI bag + HONDA tank ring adapter kit for $50. Not a lot of space I know, but enough ear plugs, sun glasses and such.

Where did you find that deal?

• Member Contributer

I like the Cortech Dryver a little better. Same mount as the Givi tank lock bag but I think the design is better and they have a GPS attachment for it should you want to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a tank and a tail bag. I had a axio on my 800 which i moved over to the 1200 for my tail. For the tank i have a givi T480 tank lock bag. Snap to take on and off for fill ups. Its a well made bag !!

Archived