Cleaning Valves

Guest dugdthug

Guest dugdthug

I had an old man tell me. If your valves are leaking take a mixture of atf and water in a pop bottle (he did not specify the exact mixture so im saying .5 and .5) run the motor at high rpm the slowly dump it in. Yes you have to remove everything that gets in the way air filter etc. I have never tried it. Mostly because i dont need a fog machine in my garage but .......So if you have low compression and your valves are leaking before you teardown. Give it a try. Supposedly it will burn all the carbon deposits off the valve.

• Member Contributer

Works pretty well- on a tractor. Use seafom on a bike.

I had an old man tell me. If your valves are leaking take a mixture of atf and water in a pop bottle (he did not specify the exact mixture so im saying .5 and .5) run the motor at high rpm the slowly dump it in.

That was probably Bailyrock yanking your chain. He neither cares about valve checks nor leaking valves.

I know folks who do it with straight water. I have done it on my Wing. A lot of black soot came out of the exhaust but that could have easily been a result of poor combustion. Not sure if it would be a good idea on a bike with a cat.

• Member Contributer

Have seen it done and done it myself....with cars. Never thought to try it with any of our bikes.

• Member Contributer

It sort of makes the engine a "steam" engine when water is poured in. The problem is how much to pour before you blow something up.

I have heard about this method for years and cringed when my friend did it to his Corvette. Thankfully he got away with it.

• Member Contributer

Honda actually makes a spray called carburetor and combustion chamber cleaner. Basically you run the bike, start spraying it in (you basically need full throttle at this point to keep it running). Once the can is empty let it sit for a bit then start it up and create a hole on the ozone :)

I've done it once on a gixxer I had... Not sure it does much.

I keep seeing posts all over the internet about the magic of Marvel Mystery Oil to clean up and lubricate engine top ends....Heck!, even member pilots from the EAA seems to love the stuff They even tell stories about bomber mechanics using them by the drum with great results!...... I still don't know if I should use the usused bottle of MMO my brother left on the shelves in our garage (Maybe he did not find it worthy to put into his Ural sidecar rig's engine before he sold it off recently? :huh: ).....I mean, how can you really trust something named as such to work on a modern motorcycle engine??

I guess I'm goofy enough to trust putting something called "Sea FoaM" in my 4th gen's gasoline (Yeah I think I do feel some improvement on the engine's idle,....yeah.......that's the ticket!.... :rolleyes: ), Maybe MMO isn't quite so weird then?? :rolleyes:

First off oldman was a mechanic at a chevy dealer. He said he did it on a chevy truck he had. The reason was a piece of carbon got stuck in a valve. He said it made a loud tapping noise like a solid lifter. So whenever he heard that sound...I guess he would do this trick before teardown just to see if that was the fix. Second oldmen are never wrong.... just ask! Ha I used MMO on my 2stroke kawazaki left it a couple of days...and presto!!!!!! i broke the kickstart in half. I guess there are limitations to MMO magic. A man should know his limitations.

Yes, water will make steam inside the combustion chamber and that does tend to clean deposits in the combustion chamber.

My brother is a licensed heavy duty mechanic and showed me this trick.

The gig is to have lots or RPM, pour the water in slowly, and don't kill the engine.

If you drown it, and fill a cylinder, you will lock up the engine and bend a rod, etc.

If the RPM's are falling dramatically, cut back on the water, and keep the revs up.

No harm if you don't get carried away with it. And run the engine for a few minutes afterwards to be sure everything is worked out the tailpipe.

• Member Contributer

imho a fix for a problem that doesnot exist really

I am sure that there is carbon or whatever building up inside my redslut, but will I notice it?

Same with "special formulated" gasoline.

If it meets the required RON, it will burn and not "knock" untill a specified limit.

The rest is not worth the ink it is printed on...

YBMV

your belief may vary

Well, if you have ever torn down an engine that uses water injection (turbos with high boost) you will note that the pistons/valves are VERY clean. This is due to the scrubbing action of the steam.

It's not a made up thing.

But with better oil control and metallurgy/machining tolerances in today's engines, better oil chemistry, and fuel refining, we probably have less carbon problems in engines than in say an old 1950's engine.

The biggest problem is that many major gas companys have been reducing the amount of cleaning addidives in their fuel. This results in deposits on the back side of intake valves. This is not carbon as it comes from the fuel as it passes the hot valve on the way into the combustion chamber. These deposits can noticeably affect performance as they can become quite restrictive, especially in 4 valve engines where the valves and passages are smaller.

Adding a cleaner to your fuel a couple of times a year is a good way to reduce and remove these deposits. One of the best for this is STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner.

What about the steam we see coming out of the exhaust during warm up. It's moisture that built up in the crankcase/oil that is burned off when the bike is warmed up.

Isn't that to some extent doing the same top end cleaning, every time we start up our bikes??

• Member Contributer

What about the steam we see coming out of the exhaust during warm up. It's moisture that built up in the crankcase/oil that is burned off when the bike is warmed up.

Isn't that to some extent doing the same top end cleaning, every time we start up our bikes??

no.. that would be water vapor that got in your exhaust pipes.

Thats a good point about the fuel additives. I removed my carbs and looked at the intake valves looks like my gas grill.....crusty. I think the idea behind the atf water mixture is to give you the best(or worst) of both steam cleaning and the detergents from the atf.

I've seen a tech at the ducati shop i used to work at dump sea foam into a 2 valve monster before. FILLED the parking lot with white smoke. bike was jetted really poorly and valves had not been adjusted on schedule. top end was a carboned mess. the bike was pinging/detonating from the hot spots the carbon was making in the combustion chamber. sea foam worked for that problem.same concept as you mentioned with the atf/water.

• Member Contributer

I second the Marvel MO use. Been doing it for years, just before an oil change. I use a pump oil can squirting into the carbs/TBs with the engine at probably around 25-3500 rpm.

Usually lots of colored smoke comes out. MMO has napthaline (sp?) or something like that in it that helps cut the carbon/oil crap loose I have read.

Archived