Had My Oem Bags Wrapped Last Week...

Aracheon

• Member Contributer

Looks nice!!

But you cannot possibly show us this and not tell us what you used, where you got it and how expensive it was.

C

• Member Contributer

The detail work is very impressive.

Could you describe how you had this is done? I assume that you have located an experienced and creative professional. Is this the same process that is used to cover a race car?

Alright, alright. :D

I had it done by a local shop - http://www.impactedwraps.com/

They did a full camouflage wrap on a friend's car which turned out amazingly well, so I had the utmost confidence in their work before I approached them with what I wanted to do on the VFR. The fairings were just a satin black, not quite flat but not quite gloss. The CF on the bags is something that's apparently a higher quality material than the 3M DiNOC stuff and easier to work with. The price for the entire job was close to (but still cheaper than) what I would have paid to have the bags painted the same Sunbeam Pearl White as the bike.

RickF - yes, same process as they use on a car, just on a smaller scale.

• Member Contributer

Personally not a fan of fake carbon fiber but the bike looks much better than it did with red bags.

Good idea to consider instead of painting.

The bags do look chunkier with a similar tone front/back compared to the stock two tone look.

Maybe if some still cannot get comfortable with the "fake carbon" pattern on the wrap material, the manufacturer should come up with another pattern on the wrap material that is not trying to simulate CF. Something with dots/little bumps or just a medium coarse satin finsh like what Honda used on 4th Gen belly pans.....

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Intresting idea.....

I've got color matched OEM side bags, but the top box only came in black. Took it to a few places and they all want around $300 to paint the top case to match the bike.

Wonder if I could get a wrap in a color close to my bike. I'm sure I would be a lot cheaper.....

The price for the entire job was close to (but still cheaper than) what I would have paid to have the bags painted the same Sunbeam Pearl White as the bike.

Around here I can get the 2 bags' lids painted for $100. So....cheaper than that? Let's get specific, please.

I've got color matched OEM side bags, but the top box only came in black. Took it to a few places and they all want around $300 to paint the top case to match the bike.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Have the RWB 07, no one makes the blue topcase. So I bought it in red and had it painted to match. Paid $100 even at a shop that only does bike painting/repair, etc. $300 for only the lid seems like a hell of a lot...

Is it sprayed on, or an actual vinyl-like or sheet-like adhesive wrap?

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Have the RWB 07, no one makes the blue topcase. So I bought it in red and had it painted to match. Paid $100 even at a shop that only does bike painting/repair, etc. $300 for only the lid seems like a hell of a lot...

Everything cost more in Canada :(

Paint, clear and other supplies was $85, and 3 hours labour, hour prep, hour to paint, hour labor for clean up @ $65 an hour, plus 15% tax... It all adds up quick.

Everything cost more in Canada :(

No shite. Don't know how you guys do it up there. I'm currently in CA, so I know all about having the govt's hands in my pockets, but you guys take it to a whole new level.

Curious about the durability of the film on the bags. They look fantastic to me but are the widest part of the bike...

Ohhhh...you're thinking they'd get dinged? Even when splitting lanes with both of mine on out here in CA they are no wider than the mirrors by my best guess. You 49-Staters don't even have that problem, so if it's easily replaceable if they get scratched I'd say that's a good thing.

Still don't know if they are film or paint-like though....

Personally not a fan of fake carbon fiber but the bike looks much better than it did with red bags.

Good idea to consider instead of painting.

The bags do look chunkier with a similar tone front/back compared to the stock two tone look.

Typically I'm not a fan of faux CF either, but I had played around with different colors in Photoshop and accidentally applied a pattern that was CF-ish, which gave me the idea. They look black from a distance anyway.

I like it... hope it's long lasting...

I hope so too.

The price for the entire job was close to (but still cheaper than) what I would have paid to have the bags painted the same Sunbeam Pearl White as the bike.

Around here I can get the 2 bags' lids painted for $100. So....cheaper than that? Let's get specific, please.

Is it sprayed on, or an actual vinyl-like or sheet-like adhesive wrap?

It's vinyl.

When I mentioned the cost of getting the bags painted, I was referring to the material cost of the pearl white paint. (My lower fairings where the satin black "wedges" are are scuffed pretty badly from the PO, so I'd have bought enough paint to do the side plastics in addition to the bags.) I'd have shot the color myself if I felt I could have done so economically. In addition to that, if I really end up not liking the CF, it's removable.

• Member Contributer

Intresting idea.....

3m TY-LOC ?

Wonder if I could get a wrap in a color close to my bike. I'm sure I would be a lot cheaper.....

3M DI NOC ?

Archived