85 Vf1000R "bike In A Box"

Charlies

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

And here is the rest to go with the tank!

post-25093-0-20033800-1366655858.jpg

post-25093-0-73316600-1366655876.jpg

post-25093-0-96864100-1366655886.jpg

Making other progress too, but slower than I wanted. Everything is back from the powder coater and looks brand new! I cant stop drooling over it. New bearings are ready to be pressed into the frame and swing arm, I will probably take them to my local Honda shop this weekend.

Working on the motor now, I want to adjust the valves before I put the frame on the motor, it HAS to be easier that way.

• Member Contributer

BTW, That stuff is not Rothmans inspired, but Actual Rothmans Edition Pieces. Not sure what they are worth, but couldn't pass them up! Now I am confused on a whole new level, keep the original RWB or go Rothmans.

Looking for second bike to put the extras on, I've found one on CL is Louisville, but it's not pretty, I've been to look and I have most all of the bits and pieces to fix her, IF the engine is good. BIG IF!

http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/3693032978.html

• Member Contributer

I can tell from the pictures you had "another busy day in the office"................. :goofy:

Looking very sexy indeed!!!

• Member Contributer

Wow those plastics look REALLY nice!

And yes, sometimes it is much more enjoyable to put pretty things together for motivation. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

BTW, That stuff is not Rothmans inspired, but Actual Rothmans Edition Pieces.

I think what he meant was, Honda was inspired by the Rothman scheme but not looking to do a true replica. It needs to say Rothmans everywhere along with their distintive logo to be a replica...like this...

11264.jpg

Cool find and in good shape to boot. Good score!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've finally made some progress, the bearings have been reset in the swing arm and steering stem. Valves adjusted and motor back in the frame! Hopefully this will boost my motivation, easier to bolt on a little at a time.

post-25093-0-11790900-1367800221.jpg

And then time for a little bling!

post-25093-0-60222900-1367800258.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Ran into a problem this weekend, started on the fork rebuild while waiting on my new rear shock. I had only slight problems with the left (air pressure) fork tube cap, nothing an 18" ratchet could handle BUT THE RIGHT... :mad: I completely destroyed it getting it off. And yes, the upper pinch bolts were loose ( I stuck them back in as I don't have a nice soft vice..

Any way, that bolt assembly is ruined, to say the least, does any one have a spare bolt assembly or spare right fork tube.

I'm also on the look out for the two brackets that hold the dual headlight in place.

Thanks!

Other progress,

I reassembled the rear license plate bracket with lights and reflectors, looks brand new after I got the scratches out of the light housing

Chain guard ALOMST cleaned up and polished

Washed all the other plastics (while the wife was away, used the dishwasher :491: )

Question for the masses-- I received my sonic springs and never really paid attention to the SCH 80 PVC pipe, is that what they want you to use as a spacer??? Has anyone done that before?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

• Member Contributer

I wonder if that bike on Ebay had a reserve price. $1525 seems like a pretty good deal for one with that low mileage.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

It had no reserve, but I know there are "Ghost" bidders out there to make sure it sells for what the owner wanted. Just wait and see if it pops up again. I saw one on 3 times in a row, it "sold" all three times.

• Member Contributer

Great project. Re: the ebay bike in Cali...$1525 is worth it to me for the 86 dual headlights and period exhaust alone. Of course you would have to remove the "Mikuni" decals as the actual carbs are Keihin...no false advertising. :wink:

• Member Contributer

I have made some real progress this week! I finally received my shock from Hagon and was able to get her up on both feet again. With any luck I will finish assembly tonight and have her running by the weekend (at Deal's Gap!)

Talk about a shake down cruise...

New Shock

post-25093-0-06675200-1370956088.jpg

About 10 Minutes Later...

post-25093-0-02111000-1370956137.jpg

It Looks real nice in there :woohoo:

Archived