85 Vf1000R "bike In A Box"

Charlies

• Member Contributer

Okay, starting on a proper restore of my bike in a box, bought it off eBay in May, it was about 50% apart so I had no clue what I paid for. My friend talked me into putting her together before throwing money into something that might not even run.

Amazingly every bolt and bulb was there (minus the few body pieces I knew were missing) and after spaying me with oil, peeing all of the fluid out of the rear shock on my garage floor and three times off with carbs ( never try to be cheat on carbs!! ) I rode her for about 600 miles and fell in love!

So here we go.....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

First shot at a build list, would love to be able to get her done in time for Bike Week! we leave in less than 2 months!!

Build List

Clean Every Thing!!

Repaint Frame

Powder Coat Swing Arm

Powder Coat All Brackets

Powder Coat Triple Tree

Powder Coat Handle Bars

Recondition Plastic -?? Best Methods

Recondition Bolts

Rebuild Front Forks - ?? Leaning towards Sonic Springs – Suggestions?

Replace Rear Shock - Hagon

Replace all Brake Lines

Clean and Rebuild Brake System

Replace Bearings As needed

Check / Adjust Valves

Fix Hyd Clutch Leak

Fix Valve Cover Leak

Repaint Engine Covers

Rebuild Water Pump

Replace Thermostat

Check Oil Pump Tolerances

Rebuild Carbs

Replace Fuel Lines -?? Suggestions...

Flush Water System

Update Turn Signals

LED Tail Lights

Check Wiring Harness

Recover Seat

Oil Mod -?? Is it needed...

Exhaust -?? HELP!

• Member Contributer

If I could get past sitting on my stool and scratching my head on where to start! I'm down to the Motor and Frame but blocked it up wrong...

• Member Contributer

If I can find someone with an oven big enough...It will not fit in my guys oven.

I do plan on having it painted with automotive paint though, not rattle can.

• Member Contributer

There should be places a plenty that could do a frame. Painting will be cheaper. I'd even consider keeping the frame bare metal. What color are you thinking of powder coating everything?

• Member Contributer

I'm going Satin Black with everything including the frame. When I get around to the Fairings they will be stock RWB, Love that too much to change it.

And after a grueling 30 second search on the internet I found someone local who can do the frame....

There should be places a plenty that could do a frame. Painting will be cheaper. I'd even consider keeping the frame bare metal. What color are you thinking of powder coating everything?

Is that just an assumption or have you checked prices in your area? Because normally when it comes to a pro paint job VS a pro powdercoat job, the powder comes out cheaper.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking along the lines of doing it yourself instead of having someone paint it for you. Also depends on what kind of paint you get and how much of a project you make it. I wouldn't know anything about making it a project to design and build a 700F oven to cure high temp paint for eight parts to save a few bucks in the short run.

I think PC bike frames are $100 +/- $20, so there's some room for painting to be cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

New stuff starting to come in!

post-25093-0-74483500-1359669807.jpg

post-25093-0-73529500-1359669594.jpg

Of course I haven't gotten anything cleaned, nothing to the Powder Coaters and I'm going to be in Austin for a week!

• Member Contributer

Those truck bed pics prove you're a trooper when it comes to commitment. At least it looks like brand new rubber on the rims! If I ever went to the dark side with a cruiser, the Warrior would be first on my list. Those things look mean. Yama-Star did that one up perfectly.

• Member Contributer

I'm going Satin Black with everything including the frame. When I get around to the Fairings they will be stock RWB, Love that too much to change it.

And after a grueling 30 second search on the internet I found someone local who can do the frame....

Original colors makes it worth more........

• Member Contributer

To me, the fact that I have to reprint it at all takes away from the value. I agree that original is more valuable, but if its painted once, 28 years from now it can be painted again.

Unpainted plastic that is sun faded can be brought back to life for less than $1. Buy a tub of petroleum jelly from the dollar store and wipe it all over the plastic heavily. Let it sit overnight or even for a few days, then just wipe it off. It will look new. Results are better than Mother's Back-to-Black with cost 10x as much, and worlds above Armor All.

I go to my local NAPA for all my fuel line, they have a neat little rig where you can cut your own lengths. Very cheap. If you want ot get fancy and spend money you can go buy a roll of Tygon.

Good luck with your rebuild!

• Member Contributer

Rattle can-ing the frame can work out as well and way cheaper than PC. Details are in this thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/37075-vf1000r-rebuild/?p=444305#entry444305

Looks like it was purged. Here's a pic.

IMG_6507Medium.jpg

My frame has held up well without a scratch for years. I'd PC the swingarm if I had to do it over.

• Member Contributer

Unpainted plastic that is sun faded can be brought back to life for less than $1. Buy a tub of petroleum jelly from the dollar store and wipe it all over the plastic heavily. Let it sit overnight or even for a few days, then just wipe it off. It will look new. Results are better than Mother's Back-to-Black with cost 10x as much, and worlds above Armor All.

I go to my local NAPA for all my fuel line, they have a neat little rig where you can cut your own lengths. Very cheap. If you want ot get fancy and spend money you can go buy a roll of Tygon.

Good luck with your rebuild!

I just smacked myself in the forehead!!! Why didn't I think of that? Logical and cheap. Thanks Seb. Off to get a supply of Jelly and wipe down my...

• Member Contributer

Rattle can-ing the frame can work out as well and way cheaper than PC. Details are in this thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/37075-vf1000r-rebuild/?p=444305#entry444305

Looks like it was purged. Here's a pic.

IMG_6507Medium.jpg

My frame has held up well without a scratch for years. I'd PC the swingarm if I had to do it over.

I've read that post many times! One of the reasons I want a black frame, awesome work there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived