85 Vf1000R "bike In A Box"

Charlies

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I came to terms with PVC in my forks, after all that was a very thin walled piece of metal as the spacer before...

Cutting was easy and the instructions were good for setting the pre-load, I cant wait to get the Sonic Springs on the road to see how they ride!

Getting the dual head-light set.

There is a lot more to this conversion than I had ever seen. Luckily when I bought the headlight I also got the wiring harness and throttle grip off the bike too.

What I didn't get was the front cowl bracket and the two small brackets for the headlight, after a failed search I had to make my own.

post-25093-0-04896700-1371041456.jpg

post-25093-0-07630200-1371041505.jpg

Obviously I am not a metal worker...I don't have the tools to make it pretty. I do have a friend that works for Link Belt here in Lexington, next winter I might get him to draw me up a proper bracket and have it made. He has done that for some of the Warrior riders around here for other bits and pieces.

The cool part is that the right hand control that I bought has the Headlight "On-Park-Off" Switch on it, its cool to have but I doubt I will ever use it.

Almost there! Exhaust, fluids and a rear brake lever and I'm off to the Gap!

For this trip I was not able to get the Two Brothers Exhaust installed, ran out of time to get the mid pipes made.

I'm going to have to stick with my beat up stock exhaust for now...

I had sweet dreams last night of the Cherohala though! Cant wait!

post-25093-0-35151600-1371041880.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow, lots of work and looks great! I haven't been on here much lately but welcome from Lexington

Thanks! Do you ever ride down to the River on Thursdays? We go whenever possible.

• Member Contributer

Don't you hate it when you think your almost done and more parts show up!!

I swear they said they were cancelled...

post-25093-0-66623300-1371071106.jpg

Those O-rings are for the water pipes under the carbs, I'm not going back in for that! I hope they don't leak.. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

154 miles today. Through the tail of the dragon, over the cherohala and back to the Tuskegee inn!

I'd call that a good day...

post-25093-0-12709400-1371262891.jpg

• Member Contributer

My favorite "view" of the bike right now.

I like the way the colors worked out. I was unsure on the engine covers at first but I am really digging it now! The black frame with the gold banjos and silver lines is cool too, IMO of course. Very happy overall.

Ignore the loose bolt. I fixed that and checked the rest...

post-25093-0-47478200-1371520208.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cool, were you on a red VFR, black leathers at Deals Gap Resort? I think I saw you as we were leaving... I saw a couple of VFR's out there but we never seemed to be at the same place at the same time...

(I see from your pic now that your bike is not red...)

• Member Contributer

Cool, were you on a red VFR, black leathers at Deals Gap Resort? I think I saw you as we were leaving... I saw a couple of VFR's out there but we never seemed to be at the same place at the same time...

I had on red leathers and Kimball rides RWB VFR , you had just headed up the hill south and you looked right at me as i was parking and I waved at you. I thought you coming back to Deals Gap but you never did.

• Member Contributer

I had on red leathers and Kimball rides RWB VFR , you had just headed up the hill south and you looked right at me as i was parking and I waved at you. I thought you coming back to Deals Gap but you never did.

Still on the Bike? That was Friday then, we went over and took the Cherohala around (after getting pulled over...), we were staying down at the Tuskegee Inn. Hopefully I'll catch you next time, we try and go down twice a year, love those roads.

• Member Contributer

10-4 I would be honored to ride with ya.

Ditto!

Did you manage to avoid all the bicycles on Saturday? Can't believe they would ride those roads, we stayed way west and south until the afternoon. Did a 250 plus mile loop to Franklin -> Helen -> Telico -> over the Cherohala -> Deals gap resort -> Motel (sore a$$!) for :beer:

Not bad for a 28 year old bike with a bad thermostat!

• Member Contributer

10-4 I would be honored to ride with ya.

Ditto!

Did you manage to avoid all the bicycles on Saturday? Can't believe they would ride those roads, we stayed way west and south until the afternoon. Did a 250 plus mile loop to Franklin -> Helen -> Telico -> over the Cherohala -> Deals gap resort -> Motel (sore a$$!) for :beer:

Not bad for a 28 year old bike with a bad thermostat!

Yeah i am use to them but you still have to watch out.

I was up there Sunday and seen a red truck leaving with VFR1000R and another bike in a trailer. Was that you ?

• Member Contributer

Yes, that was us. My friend has a TL1000R. It's half a V4 anyway....

Yeah i looked right at you and waved at you,I had seen the photo of you at the Calderwood Dam over look on VFRD, we were parking and fixing to eat.

Archived