Rc51 Front Fender On A 4Th Gen?

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Before I set off to re-invent the wheel, has anyone boldly gone before?

The winter is long, but I already see a few challenges, that -with the help of VFRD- may be overcome!

Right, the piece.................

IMAG1593_zpsa2681bff.jpg

The front section is a bit matt/doesnot show the weave clearly anymore, but I assume can be polished I guess?

IMAG1581_zps64272012.jpg

and now the fun starts...

So far I can not push the fender all the way in, snug to the forks. For starters, the OEM bolt holes are in the way

IMAG1586_zps15bf598c.jpg

Put a bit of masking tape to located where to make holes (if I think the set up can be achieved, no point in wasting a good fender)

Then there are the lower mounting tabs that are too long (duh, they are designed for an USD...), they are now getting stuck between the rotors

IMAG1584_zps50d35c7d.jpg

The front sections would need some triming to clear the rotors as well

IMAG1589_zpsf7ace9f7.jpg

and last but not least, I'd need to dril holes for the other mounting points

IMAG1585_zpse1a2c429.jpg

so I would need to source 2 of these:

IMAG1590_zps41159ff2.jpg

IMAG1591_zpsa9077e2c.jpg

So....................... doable or am I just pissing in the wind??? :tongue:

This is fairly straightforward, if you're willing to put holes in the CF.

You can easily add holes in the fender at the top where the front fork mounts are hitting the fender. The other option is to shave those off of the forks, but that is more severe.

You can also trim the lower/aft mount tabs on the fender to fit where the upper brake caliper mounts go.

Trim off the front fender mounts to clear the brake rotors.

If you were to do this, you should be able to mount the fender. The holes in the fender atthe top would allow you to use the upper front mount points, just need a longer bolt and spacer, and the lower/aft mounts could be used at the upper brake caliper mount point, then you'll have two mounts, and it should be rather stable. If you were to go that route, you could also get away without sourcing/using the captive nuts/nutplates that are on the stock fender.

This is just from looking at the pics you took, actual distances may be off by more than what the pics are showing, but this should give you a decent starting point...

• Member Contributer

did you pick that up intentionally Dutchy, or just happen into a good deal and are trying to make it work?

but, since we are on the subject, is the RC51 fender the closest thing we got? Geelong Carbon Craft in Australia is the only place I know of that does carbon bits for the 4th gens.. and they are expensive... any other options?

• Member Contributer

It crossed my path (Thanks Doug!) and am determined to make it work.....

I guess repainting the lower fork legs would not be a bad idea, so the lovely CF look even more nice. :fing02:

Good luck whit the project!

• Member Contributer

hahahahahaha........... that will be in total a grand's worth of bracket.....

I will whip out my Dremel instead methink...... :tour:

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Update....

Well, after realizing the serous amount of hacking/Dremeling required and the matt front section not responding to some TLC & polish to bring back the shine, I changed tack.

1st was finding a RC51 owner willing to part with some cash for the part. To go towards...

#2 an order with Skidmarx. They the only one in Europa (UK is part of Europe whether they like it or not :-) )that produce it for my red slut. Geelong in Australia a wee bit too beaucoup dinero....

They took the 21 days mfg time as advertised, but it shipped very quickly.

I like the finish, not perrrrfect but good.

I "dremeled" the rivits fromthe bolt plates from the OEM so I can re-ise them. The holes in the CF unit are not larger enough, but that I can fix.

20130127_27_zps07c6eb76.jpg

• Member Contributer

once the ice and salt have cleared, I can dig out the bike from the shed............

Then get to my brother's garage and do some of the farkles...

-fender

-sprocket cover mod

-rim striping

-BlueSea Fuse box

-2nd Powerlet socket

-Rammount for AquaBox

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As per Skidmarx's statement on their webiste, these replica's do need a little tweaking. Mainly enlarging the pre-drilled holes.

but I knew that so no biggie, Dremel to the rescue.

Took a few pictures with my phone, once every thing is done (cleaned up forks, changed rotors, added striping) more will be forthcoming..

post-8974-0-41883000-1361041550.jpg

post-8974-0-31391500-1361041563.jpg

Be certain to seal all the exposed/ cut edges with resin or epoxy. Including those that get covered by washers, flanged bolt heads and gaskets. CF's worst enemy is moisture creeping ib and causing delamination. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

I have a touch-up set that includes clear coat, will that work as well?

You can use clear coat, but it will not be as good for the application as resin or epoxy; which should be thinned by diluting or heating for maximum penetration. Film strength will also be higher than clear coat. Or. . . . Keep the bike in an environmentally controlled space and if you take it out for a ride don't drop it in a canal. you'll be good to go. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

Some better shots of the carbon fibre fronts....

post-8974-0-85343500-1361207816.jpg

post-8974-0-43589100-1361207842.jpg

post-8974-0-58129300-1361207857.jpg

So in the end,

not a RC51 but a RC36-2..... :cool:

Leon, if you haven't done it yet, the trimmed edges are very easily touched up with CA model glue. I have a bottle with a long needle dropper that works really well for running small beads around an edge.

Archived