Went from 6th gen to 4th gen... pics and a few questions.

• Member Contributer

So I owned a 6th gen for almost 3 years and loved it... but for the bulk of riding I do (shorter rides on curvy mountain roads) I have always wanted a lighter naked style bike. I rode a 2011 speed triple and decided although I loved the engine and handling I didn't like the unfriendly shifting and high price to buy one. The are other choices out there, but I love the v4 engine and how refined and pleasing it is to ride a VFR, all the time in all different kinds of riding. So when a friend expressed interest in buying my 6th gen I took the money and found a nice 4th gen. My plan is to turn it into a naked/streetfighter and have already started acquiring parts to do so this winter... I know some people might be upset I'm turing a nice 4th gen into a naked bike and I would have started with a slightly crashed bike but 4th gens are hard to find and I would rather start with a good base and sell parts to make back some of the cost (so those you wanting 4th gen bodywork, as well as other parts will be in luck this winter).

Onto my question. Having never ridden another 4th gen, I want to make sure my feelings on the engine are echoed by others who have ridden 4th and 6th gens. I find the 4th gen engine somewhat smoother below 5k rpm (a little less shuddering and no flat spots) but overall I would say the 4th gen engine is a little coarser and less eager to rev that my 6th gen was. Would others agree with this? I just want to make sure my engine is healthy (should be with only 34000km). Also, I notice a sliiiight intermittent tick (valve lifter?) at idle that speeds up as the rpm's are increased... is this normal?

Overall the bike is awesome and I am really enjoying riding it! I'm especially liking the lighter weight, gear driven cams (yes... I never really could convince myself the VTEC was a good idea... it was especially annoying in cold weather riding), and NR-like styling :)

The 6th gen...

post-20150-0-10486100-1344575114.jpg

The new 4th gen :)

post-20150-0-26356100-1344575205.jpg

• Member Contributer

That's a great looking 4th gen you have there. Mine is a '95 with almost 160K km - I am 120 km short. So at 34K km you have plenty of engine life left. That tick you hear does affect some 4th gens and the solution is to drill some holes in the cam holders to permit extra oil flow. There was a recent thread in this sub-forum.

Regarding your body work I would be interested in the tail section. Mine has cracks, again something that afflicts these model years. I have a used LSL superbike bar conversion kit, bar and clamps only, if you are interested in a trade. Let me know.

• Member Contributer

Excellent choice Sir! No need to wrap, since you will be unwrapping anyway! :tongue:

This ticking sound has been there since I got my 4th gen and she is still running. Valves have never been checked (70,000km) and never will be (a spare engine will cost me max $300 so why bother....). She still puts out close to 100 horses.

Having ridden a VFR800 at TMAC, I remember that my 1st impression was that the carbed VFR is smoother, but after getting used to it (roads in NC/TN are a fast learning school) I loved it. Look for my vids in the TMAC section and you will see..

The 4th Gen feels more compact and nimble yes, especially after test riding the X-tourer.....

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the responses! I have owned quite a few bikes and a few ticks and noises here and there doesn't usually concern me, just wanted to make sure. These VFR's kinda spoil me with their smoothness...

The bike definitely feels smooth, but I would say the 6th gen was just a little happier to live in the upper rpm range. I remember reading an article on the 5th gen when it came out and apparently that was a big goal in designing the new engine, making a engine that was happy to rev. Really I'm not concerned... compared to an old kawasaki zx7 it's a dream to rev... that bike felt like I was going to break it if I revved it past 7k.

Regarding your body work I would be interested in the tail section. Mine has cracks, again something that afflicts these model years. I have a used LSL superbike bar conversion kit, bar and clamps only, if you are interested in a trade. Let me know.

I'll keep you in mind when it's time to sell the bodywork. Thanks for the Bar offer but I already have plans, as well as a 954 front end purchased from bailyrock :)

Man I can't wait to get a new exhaust on this bike... VFR's just need them :)

PS I saw a two brothers (?) header on ebay yesterday, very rusty but I know some people are really looking for these.

• Member Contributer

auggius I see you are in kaslo! When I lived in Alberta my dad and I used to always ride out, stay at mirror lake, ride up to cherryville and then ride home :) Now I live in bc and get to ride these roads all the time! We live in a nice province don't we :)

• Member Contributer

mine has a small 'tick' also... I've heard there was a an original recall where they drilled small holes in the cam retainers or such to address that, but I don't believe it is anything to worry over. I've ridden the 5th and 6th gens also.. I got to say I found them progressively easier to toss around, but even at that, I like the 4th best.. Put some in some new springs up front, and a decent shock, and raise the forks in the triple a little... will help with the corner bombing

• Member Contributer

auggius I see you are in kaslo! When I lived in Alberta my dad and I used to always ride out, stay at mirror lake, ride up to cherryville and then ride home :) Now I live in bc and get to ride these roads all the time! We live in a nice province don't we :)

You betcha. It wasn't an accident that we ended up in Kaslo. My total yearly mileage has gone down but my smiles per miles is way up!!!

• Member Contributer

Hey Apexandy

Since you are living in Salmon Arm, I can only assume you have been for a ride down Salmon River Rd. If you haven't had a chance yet it is definitely a nice one to check out. Lots of twists, turns and nice scenery. There is another road in that area called Green Mountain Rd (if I remember correctly) that is also a great ride. Being from Kelowna I have ridden both those roads on many occasions. Congrats on the purchase of the fourth gen. I had a bit of a tick from the engine on my fourth gen and had the valves checked by Vernon Motorsports a number of years ago and they mentioned not to worry about it. They checked the cams and everything was fine and in the 30,000 km's I owned the bike, I never once had an issue with it. My only issue that left me stranded near Osoyoos once was a fried R & R. Might want to check on that particulat item just to be on the safe side. The charging system was known to be a bit of an issue. If you're ever in the Kelowna area or planning a ride near here, send me message. Always good to meet new people.

Bill

• Member Contributer

Hey bill, I ride the salmon river road all the time! My fiancé lived in Vernon last year so I must have ridden it almost everyday :) I rode the green mountain road last summer after a trip into Washington... It was fun yet too much potential for problems as it is very narrow with wooden bridges and cattle crossings. West side road is decent... Though busy.

Thanks for all the heads up and info, glad to hear my bike isn't the only one with a little tick. Probably won't notice it with the two brothers pipe on the way :)

• Member Contributer

Only advice I can offer is be cautious on West Side Road. A lot of people tend to cross the center line in to oncoming traffic. Found this out the hard way back in 2004. Had to avoid a cager in a Honda Accord that was going way too fast and decide he needed both lanes around a sharp corner. Forced me too close to the ditch on my side, tires hit the sandy, gravel on the edge and wham in to the hill face first at about 60 km/h. Took out the left side plastic on my 97, and I suffered 4 broken ribs and a badly bruised left leg. Not exactly my favorite road any more, but the condition of the road has gotten worse over the last few years. Mind you the BCAA did rate it as the worst road in BC this year for its poor surface condition.

Ride Safe and keep her shiny side up.

• Member Contributer

Hello, Congrats on the 4th gen! I would definitely be interested in the front fairing/headlight surround. Please let me know if and when it is available.

• Member Contributer

I have a two brothers can that is sitting in the garage if you are interested, My '94 is at 87xxx miles and runs like a top! I have a couple of videos with the 2 bros if you want to hear it. It sounds great, I just picked up a Delkevic and although it is quieter, I am leaving it on. I am always interested in body pieces, keep me in mind when you undress her :smile: Hope to see you on the road someday!

Gary

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the 4th gen.

I have heard that the 750's had more midrange than the 800's...especially the 800's with VTEC.

But my 4th gen still pulls hard at any revs.

If you want an idea of what a 4th gen sounds like with a 2 bro's pipe click on this link and skip forward to about 06:20.

http://youtu.be/wUKci9qZP6s

There's also a link with it on the Dyno. I get nothing but compliments about the sound of my bike.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the replies... been out riding too much to respond :) As for the bodywork, I think I will initially try to sell it as a complete set to see if anyone is interested in taking the lot. But if that doesn't pan out I will contact those who have expressed interest!

I already have an exhaust coming... I tried to order a two brothers for the 4th gen but apparently they aren't making the midpipe anymore :( Not having much luck finding something else I liked for a decent price I found a nice used two bros M2 vale slip-on with high mount midpipe for a speed triple and ordered a midpipe for a 4th gen from delkevic, and hopefully I can make this work. I'm pretty sure I will need to find a welder though.

Enjoy riding!

Archived