Waterproof Volt meter

maxredline

• Member Contributer

Found this waterproof voltmeter for $25 + shipping (my cost $6.68)

a6473ab1364eb0deb43610_s.JPG

Apparently the Datel brand in water resistant @ $50

Get them here http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-23/Waterproof-Digital-Voltmeter/Detail.bok

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I just recently experienced the infamous RR failure on my 99. This has really made me think about installing a waterproof voltmeter somewhere on the bike.

Has anyone tried one of these waterproof voltmeters from ebay (shipped from HK)? http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-56-Waterproof-Voltage-Meter-Voltmeter-Red-LED-Panel-Counter-2-Wires-DC4-5-30V-/250910543708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6b6f0f5c

• Member Contributer

I have one, and I'm very pleased with it. Readings from a relayed cigarette lighter are within 0.1 volts from a multi-meter at the battery. Think about where you are going to mount it. Sometimes it's difficult for me to read mine due to the glare. See pic. I don't know what the options are, but if I was to do it over again I may look into a round dial like on hot rods because of the glare.

post-24428-0-55363800-1342680579.jpg

I have one, and I'm very pleased with it. Readings from a relayed cigarette lighter are within 0.1 volts from a multi-meter at the battery. Think about where you are going to mount it. Sometimes it's difficult for me to read mine due to the glare. See pic. I don't know what the options are, but if I was to do it over again I may look into a round dial like on hot rods because of the glare.

Thanks for the feedback and the pic, looks like the voltmeter belongs there. Also it looks like the speedo and tach have more glare than the voltmeter. Do you mean the voltmeter LED is too bright to read? Or is the glare from the voltmeter dependant on some angles not shown in the pic? I wonder whether the surface of the voltmeter can be roughend a little with a fine grit sandpaper to get rid of the glare.

BTW, here's a similar voltmeter for $817: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-NEW-Waterproof-8-5-50v-BLUE-Small-12v-24v-36v-Battery-Meter-Voltmeter-/360455075359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53eccbf61f . I wonder who they are trying to rip off.

• Member Contributer

Glare, the suns light reflecting off the surface of the meter so you can not read the instrument.

Over the winter I may move it down below the gauges into the fork well some place where the sun does not penetrate as much but will still be able to see it.

Shading it with your clutch hand to read is not a really big deal, it's not like you have to do it all the time.

• Member Contributer

Max described the glare issue perfectly. With experience, I'm getting better at seeing if the second digit is a 2, 3 or 4 so I am getting used to it.

• Member Contributer

I like the digital volt meters better. Here's why:

I believe you can tell sooner when your elect. system may be starting to have a problem. Lets say you have always been seeing a constant 14.4 at speed on the highway. Then you start seeing a constant 13.9 (all things being the same). Then a constant 13.7. Even these lower voltages are still within spec but something is changing and it would be wise to take a look at you elect. system. With an analog gage you might not even be able to see that slight change on the dial and the ones with the one LED (that changes color) would still probably be green.

Just my .02

Mark

• Member Contributer

FWIW, my brother has a Signal Dynamics on his 5th gen and he is very happy with it, although I tend to agree with Mark's reasoning. The whole point of the thing is to try and detect issues as early as possible. A digital or analog gauge (depending on the scale) seem to be the most effective

• Member Contributer

I like the digital volt meters better. Here's why:

I believe you can tell sooner when your elect. system may be starting to have a problem. Lets say you have always been seeing a constant 14.4 at speed on the highway. Then you start seeing a constant 13.9 (all things being the same). Then a constant 13.7. Even these lower voltages are still within spec but something is changing and it would be wise to take a look at you elect. system. With an analog gage you might not even be able to see that slight change on the dial and the ones with the one LED (that changes color) would still probably be green.

I agree. I just had a sudden charging system failure which my Signal Dynamics Heads-Up LED system did not detect. I run a Lithium battery which holds a higher voltage even when the charging system is failing, but will then start to fail to crank the bike over in cold weather for the morning start. My charging system was peaking at 13.2 volts, which was not enough to keep my Lithium battery topped up to the point where it can perform cold cranking. This is because my battery is slightly under-sized for the bike (Shorai have since upped the recommended battery sizes for all motorcycles in their catalogue).

I asked Signal Dynamics about their meter, and their response was that the range of "12.9 volts to 15.1 volts" as being OK was because of people with heated jackets and grips who would have otherwise been concerned by the Amber/Red light when idling (i.e. people asking a lot of their charging system when it's not generating the most power).

I think it's time for me to switch to a gauge or readout.

I recomend this VM 100 percent. Very reliable. Has the advantage of 3rd signal wire 4 exact reading from battery separatd to your switched power source.

Did a group buy of 30 units.

There is a 10 percent discount for ADVrider inmates

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just put this meter on my bike, velcroed to lower right of dash panel. Mine leads back to the switched side of a Fuzeblock with a 3 amp fuse and the power and signal wires twisted together. If you put one of these on plan on buying some of the smallest Posilock connectors first. I tried soldering first and the heat from the iron makes the insulation brittle and it broke. Granted, I wasn't using a pencil type iron....The meter states12.1 volts at idle, while my handheld meter says 12 and half at the battery so I have some loss in all the connections (battery to pigtail to butt connector to inline fuse to Fuzeblock to wire to Posilock to meter). It would be nice if these just came with about 4 feet of lead.

• Member Contributer

Get them here http://stores.intuit...eter/Detail.bok

Ouch! They want $14.50 for shipping??? Are there any other sources for this?

• Member Contributer

Get them here http://stores.intuit...eter/Detail.bok

Ouch! They want $14.50 for shipping??? Are there any other sources for this?

It says $14.50 but after you enter your zip mine was $2.25 shipping.

• Member Contributer

Meant to say 12.1 volts with key on, 14.2 with engine running and only went up slightly at speed, which is nice to know. I have to make some kind of sun visor for it though, barely readable out of the garage.

• Member Contributer

I just order me one. Thanks Maxredline !!

Thanks for the head's up...ordered myself one as well

After doing the R/R and stator replacement i installel a Datel 4 digit meter and being slightly

nervous with my VFR and the infamous Honda wiring/electrics i usually watch the V meter

about as much as the tach.

The V meter is a good bang for the buck. ...no matter what brand you get.

One that displays two left n two right of the decimal gives the full charge status tho'.

Only downside to the Datel i got is there is no backlite for night use. So off to the lab

to come up with a small led lamp attachement.

Archived