Automotive thermostat replacement for VFR800???

Veefer800Canuck

Anyone use an equivalent automotive thermostat to replace the one in their VFR800?

I remember trying to source one for my `86 750, and all the auto ones were too tall, the top of the housing would not bolt down due to interference from the taller thermostat.

Diameter was OK, height, not.

Any ideas besides OEM Honda? (because the nearest Honda dealer is either one hour away, and deals in quads and generators, and the `big`dealers are 2 hours away).

82`C = 180`F

Oh, and mine ain`t broke, just 12 years old, and while I have it out, may as well change it, since it`s a PITA to reach.

there should be a data base on this stuff. Cant help, but I know that a fuel pump from a 94 Mustang will work in a BMW K100 and that a 76-86 MotoGuzzi starter shares the same part numbers as a Fiat Brava.

• Member Contributer

Really? Nobody has tried this?

I seem to remember a thread that a viffer guy used a Honda civic thermostat. -

---If I was desperate to pull it off, I would haul the stocker part to a local auto parts shop, sometimes 'stats are packaged hanging on a rack and do some comparisons. If that didnt work, I would bounce it off a counter guy and say "show me a 2004 civic stat. Then pick the guys brain till he goes bonkers. Dont tell him its a motorcycle part.

Kinda crazy and not much help I know but... I have pulled off the above scenerio with various different bike parts quite a few times. The desparate part always seems to happen a day or two right before a road trip I have planned and there's no time to order the bike part. :rolleyes:

If I could get in one in my hands I could match one up to a honda auto if possible. I havent done mine yet. I am a honda auto tech so if one will match I could find it.

I would just get one in the mail if possible. It's a hard job, that I wouldnt want to do twice for no reason.

• Member Contributer

Someone did manage this. They had to grind it down some to make it fit but it worked. The trick is to buy a unit with a "jiggler" which is the little pin which rattles around on the side. It also needs to be a unit with the smaller plate on the end as this is what switches the cooling system from radiator bypass circulation to circulation including the radiator.

Aha! That's what the plate on the bottom is for! I was wondering about that, because I'd never seen one on a car before.

On the Vfr, there is a return from the thermostat housing back to the water pump suction, to provide a bypass flow for warmup.

On a car, that flow goes through the heater core, so the bottom plate on the MC thermostat is not required!

Thanks, I just learned WHY this is a bad idea!

• Member Contributer

I am not familiar with an automotive thermostat that fits the VFR. But for what it's worth, you can fit a Stant 11233 pressure cap on a fifth gen. I have had one on mine for nearly two years now. I also know that the Stant 11233 fits a Kawasaki EX500 and a Honda PC800, (and probably a lot of other water cooled bikes), and you can get one for less than $8.00 from many auto parts stores and pocket $20 - $25.

Jeff J.

Not sure why one would try to substitute such a critical part. Probably three days to ship.

http://www.bikebandi.../m2797#sch98779

Well, Honda doesn't make the thermostats either. They farm them out to the lowest bidder, in this case, the company that makes them is NTC.

I imagine NTC's thermostat factory doesn't look a lot different from Stant's factory, and I've used their products before with good success in cars, and the thermostat itself doesn't know whether it's in a car or a bike.

But if the second valve on the bottom is a big deal for the bypass flow, then of course I need the right one. Kaldek clued me in to it's importance. Just the same as when I replaced my leaky OEM radiator cap with a MotoMaster unit from Canadian Tire which was meant for an Isuzu. 16 Psi, 8 dollars, works great.

• Member Contributer

I remember a topic on this subject several years ago, can't remember which model of VFR nor do I recollect any discussion on the extra plate but whomever it was reported that all he could find in the size was a 91degC type and he was going to wear that.

Not much help but maybe it can be done. We have it good out here buying from the US I paid $20+ for mine instead of our prices something like 60+ and without a whole heap of misinformation from a counter jumper who thought he was a motorcycle encyclopedia, oh and a 6 week wait for the just-in-time system to catch up!

• 9 months later...

I'll add a few tid bits. Sadly, they're not details on what non-Honda thermostat to buy.

The Honda part number for the thermostat is: 19300-MBG-003 $25.76

The O-Ring you really should get with it is part number: 91311-MCP-901 $1.59

Both parts can be seen on this Fiche from Ron Ayers: http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/7049/Model/VFR800A/GroupID/304562/Group/WATER_PIPE

My T-stat is acting up, so I'll be looking for a replacement. If time permits, I'll take it to the local parts store and see if I can find a auto t-stat that will work. I'll update.

I'll add a few tid bits. Sadly, they're not details on what non-Honda thermostat to buy.

The Honda part number for the thermostat is: 19300-MBG-003 $25.76

The O-Ring you really should get with it is part number: 91311-MCP-901 $1.59

Both parts can be seen on this Fiche from Ron Ayers: http://www.ronayers....roup/WATER_PIPE

My T-stat is acting up, so I'll be looking for a replacement. If time permits, I'll take it to the local parts store and see if I can find a auto t-stat that will work. I'll update.

Well the honda unit and oring were less than 40 bucks so what are you really saving? Not worth the risk...

Maybe you can say it has an aftermarket thermostat when selling?

I just did my thermostat replacement a month ago. When comparing the cost savings it was not worth the risk for me personally. Cant put a price on ease of mind.

Well the honda unit and oring were less than 40 bucks so what are you really saving? Not worth the risk...

Time of shipping, and the 5 failed Honda thermostats I've put in mine. Cost isn't even remotely the issue.

Time of shipping, and the 5 failed Honda thermostats I've put in mine. Cost isn't even remotely the issue.

WOW! i cant imagine how frustrating that would be!

What kind of coolant are you using? I hear reports that the Honda OEM Coolant may be the issue with frozen thermostats. I use regular coolant from NAPA myself. (AL safe). I wish you luck!

WOW! i cant imagine how frustrating that would be!

What kind of coolant are you using? I hear reports that the Honda OEM Coolant may be the issue with frozen thermostats. I use regular coolant from NAPA myself. (AL safe). I wish you luck!

No clue what was in it when I purchased it used, but it's been a variety of name-brand coolants (all AL safe) using distilled water in my possession.

13878 180F Stant thermostat is what I currently have in mine. You will have to grind it down to fit tho, it's a 52mm and the stocker is a 42mm.

Ah, I may just have to do that. I'm sure I could get that Stant locally. Thanks for the number

Archived