Left Stranded (followup 2)

Guest ISENHOUR

Guest ISENHOUR

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I'm looking into getting a MOSFET R/R Kit and i'm including a picture of the stator that I just shot. Some dark coloration on the right, so I'm not sure if that is the beginning of the end or already the end? I'm also including a picture of the volt meter I'm using in hopes for a little instruction on reading the stator wires' connection. Thanks again.

post-22873-0-09239500-1327162902.jpg

post-22873-0-87502700-1327162916.jpg

Not an expert on visual inspection but it looks normal to me. The difference in color is (I believe) because the entire stator is not oil covered.

Not an expert on visual inspection but it looks normal to me. The difference in color is (I believe) because the entire stator is not oil covered.

:+1: Color makes no difference, electrical testing makes all the difference. If it tests good cold, stick in the oven @ 200 deg and test it again. This WILL change your readings, but you should still be within specs. Or you could find that when the bike is @ operating temp, it's open (hence the cold and hot test)

Sorry about the new thread rangerscott. Was having trouble uploading photos into a "reply to this topic" window. Thanks for all of your help.

Next time, try the "More Reply Options" button - it will take you to the full editing screen.

• Member Contributer

:+1: Color makes no difference, electrical testing makes all the difference. If it tests good cold, stick in the oven @ 200 deg and test it again. This WILL change your readings, but you should still be within specs. Or you could find that when the bike is @ operating temp, it's open (hence the cold and hot test)

If you decide to do this please heat the oven to 200F and then turn it off before putting the stator in there. DO NOT BAKE YOUR PARTS! Just a safety notice.

If you decide to do this please heat the oven to 200F and then turn it off before putting the stator in there. DO NOT BAKE YOUR PARTS! Just a safety notice.

Will this heat the part to the 200 degrees needed tho? I see no problem baking the parts...200 isn't high and they bake parts all the time.

As for your multi-meter

Black wire goes to "com"

Red goes to your V Omega to the left of com

The dial is pointed at the 20 ( about 10 o'clock )

If I'm wrong someone will come along and say so.

As for your multi-meter

Black wire goes to "com"

Red goes to your V Omega to the left of com

The dial is pointed at the 20 ( about 10 o'clock )

If I'm wrong someone will come along and say so.

Correct for checking voltage. To test resistance you need to set it to the Omega section (4 o'clock) and you need to know what level you are checking as the meter has multiple upper limit settings...to check for resistance to ground set it to the highest setting. For a complete short to ground any setting will go to zero.

• Member Contributer

You've already got the cover off and will need to order and replace the gasket any way.

I would just order a new stator while I'm at it. It isn't terribly expensive and you'll know that you have a good working stator in there.

As to the coloration, mine was much darker when it kicked the bucket, so yours actually looks pretty good - Not that this is an indication of anything.

Another test that you will need to do is to measure voltage that it produces. This you can only do once you put everythingn back together and start the bike.

And if the old stator doesn't pass, you'll need to open it up again and then order the new one.

So save yourself some time and just order one.

And most importantly - do spring for Tightwad's harness, 'coz most probably failures of your RR and possibly stator were caused by poor factory wiring to begin with. Treat the cause and not the symptom.

Good luck!

• Member Contributer

Will this heat the part to the 200 degrees needed tho? I see no problem baking the parts...200 isn't high and they bake parts all the time.

What you do in your own home is your business but putting parts that have been submerged in oil near a source of open flame is NOT recommended. Use a heat gun, blow dryer, or an oven that has been warmed up but turned off. You can set the oven to 300 and then put the part in then to "soak".

I work in a burn in lab for electronics as part of my job so I have some idea what I am talking about and this is purely a safety warning. Feel free to disregard at your discretion.

What you do in your own home is your business but putting parts that have been submerged in oil near a source of open flame is NOT recommended. Use a heat gun, blow dryer, or an oven that has been warmed up but turned off. You can set the oven to 300 and then put the part in then to "soak".

I work in a burn in lab for electronics as part of my job so I have some idea what I am talking about and this is purely a safety warning. Feel free to disregard at your discretion.

The open flame will be of concern regardless of wether or not the oven is "on" if we are talking about a gas stove. Electric won't have an open flame anyway.

However, Vanion does make an excellent point about fire safety that I had overlooked. Firstly you should thoroughly clean the part before putting it in the oven, this will also keep the wife happy cause the whole house will not smell like hot MC oil. Also, in the interest of safety, make sure anything and everything you used to clean the part is off and completely dry before baking as well.

Otherwise "baking" your "part" (anything in or near the engine) should have no effect on it @ 200 deg F. The fan's don't even kick on till 220, 200 is well within safe range for normal operations IMO.

• Member Contributer

VFR electrical issues..... an ongoing topic. I've been stranded too. One would think in this century Honda could make a robust electrical system....

Archived