Caliper paint (gold)

Veefer800Canuck

Question

I think I may have half-heartedly asked this before, but now I'm serious.

I'm a-gonna paint my rear brake caliper to match the fronts.

Here's a pic of them. Any suggestions on hopefully matching the colour???

gallery_554_5200_542366.jpg

18 answers to this question

Summit Racing ( and possibly auto parts stores)

VHT SP736 - VHT Brake Caliper, Drum, and Rotor Paints

Paint, Brake, High-Temperature, Gloss, Gold, 11 oz., Aerosol Spray Can

I think Canadian Tire carries the VHT paint. I'll have to see if it's remotely close to the shade I already have on the front (OEM colour).

Website sez $12.99 per can, and promises that GOLD is in stock at my local store.

We will see. They're closed right now, of course.

If you can't find the exact tint of gold you could use a whole new tint of gold perhaps.

-Mike

Don't really want to dismantle the front calipers and paint them too. The finish on them is perfect as-is.

• Member Contributer

I think Canadian Tire carries the VHT paint. I'll have to see if it's remotely close to the shade I already have on the front (OEM colour).

Website sez $12.99 per can, and promises that GOLD is in stock at my local store.

We will see. They're closed right now, of course.

If the website says they only have ONE can, on the other hand.... prepare to wait half an hour as a teenager wanders around the warehouse looking for it, even though the can probably doesn't exist anymore. I know, I used to work there. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Summit Racing ( and possibly auto parts stores)

VHT SP736 - VHT Brake Caliper, Drum, and Rotor Paints

Paint, Brake, High-Temperature, Gloss, Gold, 11 oz., Aerosol Spray Can

No good. He's canadian. He needs metric.

• Member Contributer

Taking apart the calipers is no big deal. Gives you a chance to clean the pistons really well, and I've cleaned off many a seal without replacing them. That said, those do look really nice and clean on the outside. So, I'd hate to paint over that nice finish. I can't think that a gloss gold spray on finish would look all that nice in comparison.

What did you do to the caliper mount and caliper bolts? That just paint, or powder? Bought anodized bolts?

• Member Contributer

You could probably buy a set of F4i calipers pretty cheap and paint them along with the rear to see how they turn out. F4i have the same piston sizes as SP1, assuming that's what you're currently running.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rob, I think you should paint the front calipers, as well. But while you are at it, drill a hole in each one and add a window so you can see the internals working!

Just kidding. That would be unsafe, non? Can't wait to see this year's updates to the GL!

• Member Contributer

I have a chance to pick up some 6th gen ABS calipers in gold. Any reason they won't work on my non-ABS 5th gen?

If you're talking about the front calipers, then I don't think you can use them, as the linked braking system is different on the two generations, different plumbing involved. Can it be done with modifications? probably, but much cheaper and easier to get the 5 gens powder coated or painted. As far as the rear goes, I know that the pistons are different sizes (6 gen being slightly bigger) but if the master cylinders (Rear and Secondary front) are the same then this should bolt right on.

The VHT stuff works great. It WILL, however, come off if you even THINK about dripping brake fluid on it. Even if you bake it.

I did my rims and some bobs on my GS750...

But it's easy enough to touch up.

post-26909-0-49326800-1410991158.jpg

Archived