recommendations for replacement chain.

Guest navas

Looking to replace my chain and sprockets for a 94. Looking for stock replacement nothing fancy. Any recommendations on where to get one and which one?

• Member Contributer

530 120 links and fairly good quality should be fine ,I have bought a few locally and from Sprocketcenter with good results .

Don't let some jacked-up telesalesman try to sell you an aluminum rear sprocket !!!!!!!

They wear out fast, and usually 1 steel sprocket= 3 alloy in mileage terms.

• Member Contributer

I'm partial to DID chains and Sunstar sprockets. The reality is you'll probably be fine with DID or RK and any of the major sprocket manufactuers. Sprocket Center has pretty good deals on chain/sprocket kits.

-Jake

I just did the sprocket center stock 530 steel with RK gold chain.

I went up two in the rear and that was too much.

The RPM are about 500 higher.

When you say you did sprocket center stock are you sating you didn't change the sprocket or that you didn't change the number if teeth on the replacement sprocket?

One more question is it a must or recommendation to change sprockets at the sane time as chain. New chain new sprockets?

D.I.D 530 V O-Ring Chain - 120 Links D18-530V-120

Would that be a good replacement?

Ive ran both the vmpro oring and the vmxring, same size chain and everything.

The oring stretched like crazy right off the bat, had to adjust twice in the first 500 miles, and by 8,000 mile the chain was about done.

The xring on the other hand , I cant remember how long it went to the first adjustment, well over 5 or 6,000 mile, and that cahin did show signs of degrade till about 17,000 miles.

I think the xring, has less friction and keeps the heat down, so the grease doesnt dry up as quickly.

I'd recommend the x-ring from DID - lasts longer and should hold the internal lubricant longer. I get about 30,000 kilometres to a chain using the DID x-ring. I think the 120 links is the right length without cutting it - the eccentric hub all the way adjusted.

D.I.D 530 V O-Ring Chain - 120 Links D18-530V-120

Would that be a good replacement?

• Member Contributer

If I had it do over again, I'd carefully tally the cost of OEM sprockets. The OEM front has a rubber bushing molded in (which I may or may not really care about, since it's only about noise) but the real issue is thickness.

The AFAMs I got from Sprocket Center were fine, but both front and rear were visibly thinner than the OEMs I took off my bike.

Are the OEMs overkill? Does sprocket fortitude even matter since the chain almost always wears out first? I don't have the answers to those questions. Just saying I will at least look at OEM next time, and the last time I didn't even bother.

...And I got over 16,000 miles on my OEM RK chain with much abuse and little proper maintenance. No complaints; I went back with the same.

If I had it do over again, I'd carefully tally the cost of OEM sprockets. The OEM front has a rubber bushing molded in (which I may or may not really care about, since it's only about noise) but the real issue is thickness.

The AFAMs I got from Sprocket Center were fine, but both front and rear were visibly thinner than the OEMs I took off my bike.

Are the OEMs overkill? Does sprocket fortitude even matter since the chain almost always wears out first? I don't have the answers to those questions. Just saying I will at least look at OEM next time, and the last time I didn't even bother.

...And I got over 16,000 miles on my OEM RK chain with much abuse and little proper maintenance. No complaints; I went back with the same.

My oem chain was also the Rk, its a special chain, that I couldnt find in aftermarket in the U.S, but Around 17,ooo mile mine was starting to degrade, I never saw the OEM life, on the vfr, going through 4or 5 chains, til the did Vmxring.

Sprocket life , the Oem sprockets cant be beat for life, they are very heavy duty more than anything you'll ever find. But they will wear if you cant Quelch metal to metal contact, If you quelch that, Ive replaced vfr front sprockets at 53,000 mile that were near identical to New oem comparison.

My rear sprocket I was thinkin about replacing this next chain cause it has over 90,000 miles, but the sprocket has little wear , not even a glimps of Hooking or wallowed out. So I may go another round.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q190/holeshot73/ironpig.jpg

click in the botton right corner of the pic, it may show an enlarge button

From what your saying is if the sprockets look fine then not to replace them. Also couldn't pass up on the did o ring chain. Got it fir 90 brand new in box.

From what your saying is if the sprockets look fine then not to replace them. Also couldn't pass up on the did o ring chain. Got it fir 90 brand new in box.

Yep, the pro oring are reasonably priced chains , The DID xring is quite a bit more, but it does result in significant life increase, In my case 100%.

If you know what your looking at with wear, then you can reuse sprockets, aluminum sprockets, trash quickly from day 1, Not reusable. Heavy steel sprockets, and using a lubricant that virtually eliminates metal to metal contact(that is KEY), the sprocket life can be VIRTUALLY ENDLESS. But you really have to match a brand new one with a used to detect the wear, or the wear is so bad that its obvious, thats usually the way most people can tell.

Many will run a chain, as long as there is adjustment left, even though the chain is worn out, this causes the chain to ride High on the sprocket teeth accelerating sprocket wear, once a chain has been adjusted 3 times, its at end of life, stretch wise.

• Member Contributer

In over 60,000 miles I've used OEM Honda sprockets and an "EK" X-ring chain. I've had good luck with EK and they offer the chain with the side plates powder coated is several colors so I also like the look of a red chain on my red bike.

Mark

post-2084-0-31922000-1325078775.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update I did the change. But in the process of putting the new rear sprocket on I snapped one of the bolts. So my question is do you recommend to change all the bolts or just the broken one? And do you recommend oem bolts or any other bolt I can use as long as it fits?

You do NOT want to just replace one bolt with anything close for many reasons, system balance as one. I would at least buy one new Honda bolt (not a standard bolt) and or replace them all if you think you might have over tightened any of the others too.

Buy a torque wrench and use it, as cheap as $12 at Harbor Fright. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Can't help you there...I bought the whole chain-front-rear sprocket kit for about $215 I think...

Archived