1KR engine into 1KF frame

Guest Jspout

I am installing an 86 vf1000r engine into an 84 frame. The transmission went bad (classic 2nd gear) on the F motor and I have the F motor completely dismantled. Originally I was going to rebuild this F motor, I already have a replacement transmission and gasket kit for it, but I came accross a local guy ho had a complete 1986 VF1000R listed on craigslist with no title. Got a steal of a deal $600. It came with 2 1000R engines, one verified good running engine with only 15k miles and another that is locked up I will use for parts and practice! So, I have changed my mind. I think at this point would be wise to put the 86 R engine on the 84 frame. I will probably still rebuild the F motor at some point, but not for this bike.

Also, I have an 85 vf1000r from a previous trade I am going to build as well. It has a good engine only 23 k miles. So in essence, this thread will be 3 builds in one. Putting the R motor in the F frame, Merging the 85 and 86 to make one complete bike, and rebuilding the 1000F engine. I will start with the 84 vf1000f bike since it is clean and ready for an engine. I will definately need plenty of advise and when all is said and done will have lots of extra parts for the picking!

post-22007-0-62241200-1321798223.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres a picture of the 85 I am rebuilding too. I have a complete 86 1000r with no title to merge with this one that I do have a title for. I intend to post the progress as i go, good or bad.

post-22007-0-51449000-1321798586.jpg

My first question on the motor swap????

I am assuming I will need to use the wiring harness and CDI from the R motor when installing it to the F frame, am I correct?

I will also need to use the shifter from the R? Thanks guys.

• Member Contributer

Definitely the CDI from the R.

My concern is if the R harness will reach all the F connection points.

I think the F harness adapted to the R CDI might be the solution.

• Member Contributer

How did you set yours up Tom?

You mean the one that's still a bare frame wrapped up in the basement?

How did you set yours up Tom?

You mean the one that's still a bare frame wrapped up in the basement?

Is that the one you did the frame mod on in your other thread?

OMG, a new monkey in the wrench. Man, when it rains it pours. I stumbled upon another 84 vf1000f bike locally with a good motor, no title. Only $600 again. Seems to be the magic number on VFKs with no title. I am going to go look at it today, maybe offer $500 for it. Wow! for years have'nt even seen one in the state for sale. Picked up 4 in one year.

Come on Jspout, share the wealth, you know I need a motor......

:smile:

Please start a new classifieds thread for selling parts, and note that VFRd requires you to name pricIng for items.

This is to discourage bidding wars, we have EBay for that.

Good luck getting your bike back together, you should have everything you need now!

OK, started turning wrenches today! The process has begun. This first picture here is both VF1000F bikes next to each other. The motor from the bike in the foreground(the white bike) is going into the other in the back. I removed the body parts and tank from the white one and am going to try to get it running first in the frame it is in before I remove it. It has not been started in a few years so I figured I should put some marvell mystery oil in the cylinders and let it work itself down for a few days before I start cranking it over. So I pulled the plugs in all of the motors and used an oiling can to inject the mystery oil into the cylinders. A friend recomended the mystery oil as it lubricates well and burns well. The rear plugs were easy to get to, the fronts not too bad, just had to move the top radiator out of the way. 3 10mm bolts on the VF1000F Radiator, one on the top and 2 on the bottom. The radiator on the VF1000r has 4 bolts 2 on top and the bottom 2 go into the duel fans. I did have to drain the water and remove a hose on the left into the frame on the F bike.

post-22007-0-04108300-1322253475.jpg

here is a pic of the VF1000F motor from the RWB bike. It is a good clean motor with a bad transmission, only 14,000 miles. But, is completely taken apart, I am going to use as many parts from this motor on the other motor as I can. The case covers are perfect and has half of the miles. I will rebuild this motor too, but really is the first full rebuild I have ever done, so will take my time. I have a complete gasket kit for the VF1000F motor. Once I get it running I will start replacing the parts I can that are better.

post-22007-0-98127700-1322254566.jpg

post-22007-0-51154900-1322254587.jpg

I have a question about exhaust. The RWB Vf1000F I have came with a Vance and Hines system with pipes and not a collector box. V & H is printed on the fairing red stripe. My white one has the stock set up. Was the Vance and Hines an option on the 84? Love the look of the stock, but like the weight loss of the collector box and I'm sure sounds better.

• Member Contributer

I have a question about exhaust. The RWB Vf1000F I have came with a Vance and Hines system with pipes and not a collector box. V & H is printed on the fairing red stripe. My white one has the stock set up. Was the Vance and Hines an option on the 84? Love the look of the stock, but like the weight loss of the collector box and I'm sure sounds better.

It's a V&H 4-2 complete exhaust? It wasn't an OEM option, just an aftermarket set up.

Yes, a Vance & Hines complete 4 into 2 exhaust, however says Vance & Hines in the painted stripe on the fairing, paited in, not a decal. Odd. Plus, I got this bike from the original owner and he did'nt have a stock collector box and muffler set up, or he'd have given it to me. Strange.

• Member Contributer

Man, I really need another spare engine! Hey Jspout: if you get one that you are willing to sell let me know. I get down to Springfield MO a couple of times each year so pickup is not a problem.

Man, I really need another spare engine! Hey Jspout: if you get one that you are willing to sell let me know. I get down to Springfield MO a couple of times each year so pickup is not a problem.

Back off Daugherty, I have dibs...

LOL :tongue:

Yesterday I changed the plugs, I had a better set of plug wires, replaced those, and the coils were cracked and old looking so I put a fresh set of coils on there. Gave a few more squirts of Mystery oil into the cylinders. Also I rigged a funnel up to the fuel line so I can feed the gas. I think tomorrow will be the day that I attempt to fire her up! yea, I have a good feeling she will fire up, so cross your fingers for me. Anything else I should check or do first? Suggestions?

Archived