1KR engine into 1KF frame

Guest Jspout

• Member Contributer

if you mean putting carbs back onto the engine then you can:

- heatup carb rubbers with a heatgun or boiling water to make them soft again

- oil them to aid assembly

- front ones go in first then rear ones at the angle, look it up in here, plenty previous advice given

This worked well for me, especially the heat and oil. New boots are about $8 ea if your old ones are really brittle and need replacing. Try angling the front and rear boots 1/2 way on and work the carbs straight down.

Are the engine casings for the VF1000F the same as for the 1000R? If not, are the differences significant?

Pretty certain they're significantly different as the F has chain driven cams vs. the R's gear drive.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got them damn carbs on today! I Just took my time and was patient. Got the front 2 to drop in pretty quickly, just had to make sure the 5 connector pieces were going into the right places then got to the back ones and they were'nt even close. i did lubricate all the boots so i could get them not only to drop in easy, but to menuver them around. I then put the boots for the back carbs on a little cockeyed so it kind of went on both the carb and engine at the same time. i also had to pull the front carbs back out a little to get the back ones to pivot downward and then all 4 carbs sort of snapped in at the same time. Man what a good feeling that was! Now before I tightened the boots, I put the carb intake piece on the top and tightened them down with the 8 gold screws. This way it lined them up perfectly where they are supposed to be. there are also some dowel sleves that go into the slots of each carb. This guides them to line up perfectly. Once I tightened the 8 gold screws, I then tightened down the carb boots. I then took off the intake thing with the 8 screws and put the 2 carb sync springs in between the throttle edges and it was done ! I feel pretty good about these carbs now, I admit I was a little nervious, there are a lot of little pieces and screws, but seemed correct when done, and no left over parts. Next up the radiators and electrical connections and front sprocket!

Oh you tried to install the carbs with the intake plenum off... doh.gif

Yea had to, they were already apart that way, suckkkeed, but did it. i have to do the same the the VF1000r I am building too. At least it gives me the chance to change all the orings.

Put them back together BEFORE you install them on the bike...

I thought about installing them on the plenum first, but everything was apart, and i needed to see everything from the top view. I was having a hard time decerning which carb was which in relation to the way i had my bike facing, which connector was what and went which direction. So much going on there. Maybe now I done one I will try that on the next one. I usually have to backward engineer something first to figure it out.

I think Honda even said not to take the plenum off unless you wanted to replace o-rings. Nevertheless, pushing carbs loose will easily damage plastic connections and loosen up the o-rings, then you end up with a fuel leak right on top of a hot engine, not clever...

I think Honda even said not to take the plenum off unless you wanted to replace o-rings. Nevertheless, pushing carbs loose will easily damage plastic connections and loosen up the o-rings, then you end up with a fuel leak right on top of a hot engine, not clever...

Yes, I anticipate something up there leaking, just another obstical to overcome. I think it will be OK. If I have to I'll buy a new set of carbs or spackle everything togher, not the end of the world.

OK, got the carb finished, and I feel pretty good about it. let me know if you see something out of place in the pic. I finished the plumbing and electrical. Filled the radiators and.... NO LEAKs!!! Frickin amaizing. Only things left, buy a battery and switch back tires, change the oil and connect the handlebar controls. and all the body pieces and hope she fires up.

post-22007-0-25020800-1328334653.jpg

Making progress, down to detail stuff. I put the front fender on, the battery cage, relpaced all the fuses, and put the reflectors on it from the other VF1000f, changed the oil and filter, connected the choke cable. Still have to replace the rear tire and buy a battery. The shock adjuster and hose sort of sticks out where the battery gos, so I am a little nervious they will interfere with each other. I still have to find somewhere to mount the shock adjuster cylinder. Everything looks good so far. I think I will be able to get her started this week and make sure nothing is leaking any where. then take it to my buddie's shop to adjust the valves and carbs. Can't wait to pick up that polished engine next month. I may just decide to modify the other VF1000F frame and build a chopper out of it. We shall see how well this engine runs. If I am missing something, let me know, good time for advise.

post-22007-0-17987500-1328886450.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the 84vf1000F progress:

Got the rear tire mounted and am waiting for a new set of wheel bearings to rinstall the wheel and chain. I had to use a propane torch to heat up the hub to free the old bearings. Mounted the rear cowel and OH Jesus handles. I also have put together the handle bar controls and throttle. Everything was moving freely untill I put on the air box and must have pinched the cables, as the throttle not snapping back like it was. Came up with a solution to the JD shock mod remote hose and mounting the remote. Bought a 14b battery which is a little smaller, ran the hose around the battery and mounted/strapped it to the battery itself. The top bolt to the shock was a little tricky to get in by myself. I lifted the frame to get the shock top to go under the lip, I also had to lift the swing arm at the same time to get it to move back a hair and line up with the hole and at the same time go through the spacers with the bolt. Took some patience to do and a fresh start of the day. I installed the shock before doing the engine swap, I could not have done it by myself if the motor was in the frame. But it is in and does not rub. I think it will work fine, doesn't seem to be rubbing at all. Now just have to reinstall the wheel bearings and hook up the exhaust, and bleed the clutch. Should be able to fire it up this week some time. I will have picture up this week too. Also I have the 86 VF1000R motor cleaned and prepped, cleaned the carbs and it is now ready to install into the frame. I still need to clean up the frame and may paint first.

Got the rear wheel bearings changed and wheel and exhuast mounted, rolled her outside, sprayed some starter fluid in the carbs, rigged up a funnel for gas and..... She fired right up! Ran for about a minute and I flooded it. So, no water leaks, no fuel leaks from the carbs themselves. There was a little gas leaking from one of the carb boots, and something strange leaking from the bottom of the exhaust fitting. Probably some of that mystery oil I put in the cylinders. The Tank has some rust and debris inside, I have flushed a couple gallons of gas through it and it is starting to clear up. i don't think It will need coating. Over all I am excited and thrilled after all that work that she started. smoked some( concidering been sitting for a few years), but sounded pretty good for the minute it ran. Now I take it to my friend to get it running good. Getting ready to install the VF1000R motor into the frame this week. Got to do some frame clean up and switch front forks first.

post-22007-0-70338700-1331133518.jpg

post-22007-0-51131000-1331133526.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The 84 Vf1000F is now at my mechanics and they are dialing it in, but need some carb parts. Anyone have some or know if the carb boots from any other models will fit the 1000? All the boots I have are cracked or split. Also, I would like to convert the tank to a gravity feed. What do I have to do to make that happen? thanks for the advise.

Man, I really need another spare engine! Hey Jspout: if you get one that you are willing to sell let me know. I get down to Springfield MO a couple of times each year so pickup is not a problem.

Hey Jamie, I once read you convert all your VFs to gravity feed. I want to do that to this bike. What do I have to do to make that happen? Thanks for the advise! I did go get that polished 1000F motor finally, what a gem! I will post pics.

• Member Contributer

Hey Jamie, I once read you convert all your VFs to gravity feed. I want to do that to this bike. What do I have to do to make that happen? Thanks for the advise! I did go get that polished 1000F motor finally, what a gem! I will post pics.

You can remove the line to the fuel pump and run it straight to the carb inflow line. It worked for me in the garage but it wouldn't stay running on the street. The fuel line routing may determine if it works or not, trial and error.

• 1 month later...

No new news on the 84 build, still at my mechanic's going through the carbs. But, Started on the 86 VF1000r. I switched out the front forks and have the good motor ready to install. i will post pictures of the 84F next week when it is done.

post-22007-0-82042600-1338053168.jpg

post-22007-0-54839100-1338053184.jpg

Installed the VF1000R engine today, all by my lonesome. Smashed a couple fingers, but got her in. All down hill from here.

post-22007-0-43674100-1338514963.jpg

• Member Contributer

Smashed a couple fingers, but got her in. All down hill from here.

No big deal, you've got eight more of 'em. :491:

Enjoying your project, btw. :fing02:

Got working on her today, my goal to get all the cooling system hooked up. This process was quite a bit different from the Vf1000F. This system is set up like a puzzle. You have to start with the fan assembly and bolt that to the frame. The lower radiator has 2 rubber postes that fit into the top of the fan frame and it bolts to the bottom. Then i cleaned and assembled the upper radiator into the Fairing frame. I have duplicates of all this stuff so it was fun picking the best parts. Once i got the fairing frame together and bolted it to the bike, it was time to connect everything together. While the 84 Vf1000F runs the water through the frame on the left side, the VF1000R has a hose that goes from the right side of the lower radiator all the way accross the front of the frame and down to the water pump. The upper radiator runs from the right side to the thurmoustat housing and then to the engine water pipes. I installed new orings on the water pipes and tightened all the hose clamps. So...Now the big moment. i filled it up with coolant and water, to detect any leaks. Un like my success with the 84, This time I was not so lucky. I had leaks. The good news, NOT LEAKING FROM THE HEAD GASKET. the rear engine pipes were not sealing well. I drained and filled and adjusted this thing 10 times and was still gettting a drip. I finally gave up and got out the high temp silicone. I know you all advised against it, but it worked, no more drip! I really dont understand this design. Not very reliable. So now, i noticed the 86 duel headlight has 2 electric plugs, so i will have to switch out the wiring harness. I will be doing that today.

post-22007-0-98179500-1339072776.jpg

• Member Contributer

The o-rings to the water pipes are finicky and can roll up or pinch. I find a touch of light grease helps as they need to go in -straight- .

And yes it's not the best design.

Archived