Project 85 VF1000R

JWhelan65

If you're talking about fork springs, look up Rich Desmond at www.sonicsprings.com instead. Same quality, $30 less...

Never heard of them, any good?

Yes, very good and good to deal with. Have used them a lot, got a few sets in some of my bikes and have used many in customer bikes as well.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Your project looks like it's off and running. Nice work.

I have a set of Sonic Springs in one of my bikes. No difference between those and the more expensive set from Racetech in one of the ohers.

Your project looks like it's off and running. Nice work.

I have a set of Sonic Springs in one of my bikes. No difference between those and the more expensive set from Racetech in one of the ohers.

Thanks

It looks like for the money you can't go wrong

Before you go nuts with upgrades adjust the valves and check the cams, I just got a whole new motor cause my cam was boned (posted pics earlier) the new motor has similar issue with same rear exhaust cam. Also all the used cams I found so far have similar pitting on the same lobe...

I put whole lot of money and effort in to this bike, had I known the cam was bad would have just abandon the project early on before I rebuilt the rest of it.

Maybe take the least ugly cam and have it welded, reground and hardened by Shadbolt, Webcam, Colt Cams or other???

If the other three look good, maybe no need to do them?

Maybe take the least ugly cam and have it welded, reground and hardened by Shadbolt, Webcam, Colt Cams or other???

What does it cost? I was ignoring this option as it seemed mine was a freak departure from the usual Honda quality, but now I have seen several damaged rear exhaust cams and want to get a good one.

• 3 weeks later...

I removed the swinger and exhaust collector to make way for the new Daugherty conversion, oredered new rear sprocket and chain, replaced all the seals in the arm and hauled off more parts to the powder coater.

IMG_4830.jpg

• 1 month later...

Those pipes look really nice. I'm hoping to do this to my pipes.i hope you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for the powder coating.

Those pipes look really nice. I'm hoping to do this to my pipes.i hope you don't mind me asking but how much did you pay for the powder coating.

I paid $150 for the pipes and all the parts you see, the exhaust is an aftermarket F1 that I had done in ceramic satin to hold up to the high temps.

Oh nice!!!! Supersprox! Is that for the VF1000R or did you find one from another model that fits the VF1000R? I was looking when I did my chain and couldn't find a SuperSprox for the VF1000R. Maybe I gave up to early?

Uses the same bolt pattern as the "F" which they stock...

With the length of those extensions, I would be tempted to temporarily bolt up something of the correct width for the lower mount between the extended aluminum "forks", and then weld in a piece of square aluminum tubing for reinforcement between the two, right at the midpoint.

These are automotive leaf spring shackles, but you get the idea of the crosspiece reinforcing the two extended "legs". Same but different.

Petroworks%20Shackles.jpg

• Member Contributer

With the length of those extensions, I would be tempted to temporarily bolt up something of the correct width for the lower mount between the extended aluminum "forks", and then weld in a piece of square aluminum tubing for reinforcement between the two, right at the midpoint.

These are automotive leaf spring shackles, but you get the idea of the crosspiece reinforcing the two extended "legs". Same but different.

:+1:

I'd sooner weld in a rectangular plate of 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum, basically make the extension an i beam.

I'd sooner weld in a rectangular plate of 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum, basically make the extension an i beam.

Or that. Something is better than nothing. That's a lot of distance, and the greatest forces are in compression, which will want to bend the pieces outwards.

Archived