Project 85 VF1000R

JWhelan65

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice. Maybe some more super fine wet sanding and more clear? Looks like there is a bit of orange peel in the tank? Nevertheless, it's gonna look great when it's done. I've always wanted a 1000R.

You're correct, sir, These pics were taken just moments after the first few coats of clear were sprayed. There's still a multi-stage polishing process that'll take that finish to smooth as glass. This is the second bike I've painted for Joe. Great customer. Amazing bike.

Larry Pearson

Meticulous Motorcycle Painting

www.meticulouspaint.com

Sweet. Checked out your site. Love the Cooley Rep!

Welcome to VFRd, we'd love to see some pics of your CX500 Turbo, maybe start a thread in the "Other than VFRs" section.

Nice CXturbos these days are as rare as Rocking Horse Shit. The 650s are rarer still!

34.jpg

Sweet. Checked out your site. Love the Cooley Rep!

Welcome to VFRd, we'd love to see some pics of your CX500 Turbo, maybe start a thread in the "Other than VFRs" section.

Nice CXturbos these days are as rare as Rocking Horse Shit. The 650s are rarer still!

34.jpg

Nice of you to post a picture of my GS1000S. You'll notice I managed to sneek in a couple of Honda parts on it. The front fender and the rear shocks are from an '83 1100F. I'll post some pics of the Turbo in the other section. Thanks for the interest.

Larry's work in top notch, he has a multiple of satifsied customers on several forums. The light mechanical and powder coating is easily accomplished with a little elbow grease and insight. The paint is a true art form, you cannot go wrong with Larry's work.

• 3 weeks later...

Having issues with the JD shock conversion, the location of the line fitting for the remote res will not allow it to slide in on either side. You can see in the photo below that the stem invades the battery box location. If I turn the shock 180 degrees it will not slide in for the same reason, it is off 1.5". Working on sourcing something else...

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

Yeah, that's a problem.

Unless JD can take the shock back, deflate it, install a 90' fitting to reorient the hose, and recharge the shock?

I fit the same shock on my 84 1000F and have the same issue. I ended up using a 14b battery, a little smaller than the 16b, wrapping the hose around the battery and mounting/strapping the remote to the rear side of the battery itself. Worked pretty good and that battery has plenty of juice to run and start the bike. Problem solved in jimmy rig fashon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. On some jobs I try to replicate the factory look and finish as closely as I can. Joe and I talked at length about what it needed to look like it just rolled off the showfloor...but with a little more. Prices really vary from bike to bike and I'd be glad to go over anyone's project. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Wow that paint looks better than perfect, cant wait to see JWhelan's finished project its gonna be one of the best!

• Member Contributer

Looks fantastic! I always liked the '85 layout best. Please post paint codes for the group.

Looks fantastic! I always liked the '85 layout best. Please post paint codes for the group.

Unfortunately, I don't really have official codes. What I have is a guy who custom mixes all my colors for me and does fantastic work. I use PPG products exclusively. Seems auto paint stores will have the codes for newer bikes, but once they get back into the 70's and 80's they start to get more difficult to find. Most places can replicate the color pretty well if you have a part they can scan the color from.

Archived