Project 85 VF1000R

JWhelan65

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exhaust looks new (and very nice), did you polish and paint it or find a source for NOS?

I had the lowers done in ceramic coat matte black, polished out the cans and applied new decals

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Big fairing bolts from later model VFR's work well and look 100% better than the philips head bolts for the fairing panel mount points. (The ones with the quarter size heads with an Allen drive center.) As for the quarter turn dzus fasteners, I replaced mine with D-ring dzus fasteners.

Big fairing bolts from later model VFR's work well and look 100% better than the philips head bolts for the fairing panel mount points. (The ones with the quarter size heads with an Allen drive center.) As for the quarter turn dzus fasteners, I replaced mine with D-ring dzus fasteners.

Any ideas on which specific year models to go with?

• Member Contributer

Not being a fan of Phillips head screws I wanted to point out that the VF fairing screws (all cross pattern screws on Hondas) are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard).

You need a special set of JIS drivers for these so you don't strip them (Phillips heads are designed to cam out).

jisscrewdriversvfrworld09-13-10.jpg

Not being a fan of Phillips head screws I wanted to point out that the VF fairing screws (all cross pattern screws on Hondas) are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard).

You need a special set of JIS drivers for these so you don't strip them (Phillips heads are designed to cam out).

I have that set, along with the stubby. Some of the best money I've ever spent on tools!

• Member Contributer

Why do all of your pictures look like they came from a catalog or a service manual. Always a nice touch with the ruler. You should do a manual. Good tip IC.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Kel!

+1 on Seb's note above. These drivers will bring a smile to anyone's face who has ever cursed stripping a cross pattern screw.

I'm thinking about getting T-shirts made with a 'NO' logo over a Phillips head screw. They are really the Devil's workings.

• Member Contributer

Here`s the part number for the fairing bolts: 90112-MT4-000

• Member Contributer

To complete the thread jack (apologies to the OP) JIS screws (unless decorative) will have a small dimple:

VF500FVDcarburetorsJISscrewsvfrworld09-07-10.jpg

In terms of the VF fairing screws these are still available from Honda, OEM part number: 90112-MC7-000

screw-fairing-set_medium90112MC7000-01_b98c.jpg

Here`s the part number for the fairing bolts: 90112-MT4-000

Thanks a bunch!

Archived