Project 85 VF1000R

JWhelan65

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That paint looks so very nice. Do you use any decals for the R stripes or is it all paint?

I've done it both ways. I've had stencils made and airbrushed factory graphics before, (check out my GS1000S) but on this bike Joe bought a decal kit. The blue stripe is painted, yes. What I did, though, was clear coat the (VF1000R) decals on the fairing lower to seal them in, and then came back and masked the white portions off and sprayed the same blue as on the stripes so it looks like you're seeing through the decals to the paint underneath (as Honda had intended it to look) then re-clear coated it. If you look closely at these bikes, the blue on the decals always seem to be a slightly different shade then the stripe and that drives me crazy. It's subtle, but I'm a little weird when it comes to details like that.

• Member Contributer

Looks fantastic! I always liked the '85 layout best. Please post paint codes for the group.

Unfortunately, I don't really have official codes. What I have is a guy who custom mixes all my colors for me and does fantastic work. I use PPG products exclusively. Seems auto paint stores will have the codes for newer bikes, but once they get back into the 70's and 80's they start to get more difficult to find. Most places can replicate the color pretty well if you have a part they can scan the color from.

I know nothing about paint mixing but I would guess there has to be a ratio formula he used whether it correlates to a factory "code" or not. No biggie, just thought it might be usefull for those who are painting in the near future.

I mixed automotive paint for around five years, that was awhile back. With the scanner you can pretty much hit the color spot on.

Yes, and that's exactly what the guy that mixes my colors does. Most of the time they're very close once scanned, but occaisionally he'll have to tweak it a bit to get the right shade. I've watched him many times start from scratch with a color that was just sorta close and by dropping in small amounts of colors you wouldn't even think could be in the formula, match it beautifully.

Wow, the attention to detail is amazing and shows in the final product. The bike is going to be stunning! :fing02:

This VFR is the second bike Larry has done for me and certainly not the last, here my 86NH that he did. He does fabulous work!

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5396.jpg

Man those bikes are beautiful.. I checked out his website and was amazed.. I would park that bike in my living room when not riding it just to stare at it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Looks great. 'Bout time, I'm not getting any younger ya know.

Looks great!

If I could ask, why did you decide not to run the DMr shock and is this the second Hagon you ordered?

I could not get JD's or the first Hagon to fit properly. Hagon actually figured it out and had to make another one. I recieved the 1000F version first which was close but still had some issues. They were real good about it and I finally got the correct one but it took forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived