A 5th gen Compufire R/R adventure

mello dude

• Member Contributer

Since my stock OEM R/R is consistantly running less than 13.8 volts and on average less than that, and idle scraps out 12.9 v, I decided to jump out and foole with the new fangled magic Compufire R/R and it showed up today. Since I am more of a mechanical guy, (nuts & bolts, engines and brakes :rolleyes: ), the install will be a little challenge but I'm sure I can work it out. Just some pics for now, I'm not going to be able to foole with it this weekend as I have a seminar to attend.

CompFreduceA.jpg

CF vs OEM - The Comupfire is just a tick smaller over OEM.

CompvsOEM.jpg

CompvsOEMtop.jpg

One thing that I am immediately struck by is that the wire gauges on the CF are easily 1 or 2 gauges up from the OEM. Beefy.

wiregauges.jpg

More later.

:cool:

Wrap it up thread --

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/69571-compufire-rr-install-wrap-up-on-a-5th-gen-finally/page__fromsearch__1

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately it isn't the wire size on the RR which is inadequate. It's the wiring of the bike.

The plug/socket connection looks like an improvement.

• Member Contributer

Cool! I'm almost certain I'm going to get one for the RC51 this fall/winter.

FWIW, 13.8 ain't all that bad. Even for a max reading. I was in the mid 12's for years before I finally decided to replace the whole charging system. Now I'm at 14 or thereabouts.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately it isn't the wire size on the RR which is inadequate. It's the wiring of the bike.

The plug/socket connection looks like an improvement.

-One thing I notice with the OEM R/R is that while doing some voltage testing, I felt the yellow wires on the R/R side, and they were hot! By the burnt finger test, I would guess 150 degrees. Good, bad or indifferent, I'll take the thicker gauge wire.

Cool! I'm almost certain I'm going to get one for the RC51 this fall/winter.

FWIW, 13.8 ain't all that bad. Even for a max reading. I was in the mid 12's for years before I finally decided to replace the whole charging system. Now I'm at 14 or thereabouts.

- I really didnt have to do this R/R change, but it goes with working to getting the heat down under the seat. My guess for the temp of the stocker R/R is a good 180+ degrees. (Dont wanna do a pc fan either) I can touch it for a second, but any longer than that would burn my finger. Mostly I just wanted to go for it, and my understanding is it will reduce wear and tear on my stator. I dont mind experimenting on stuff here and there and enjoy it. On bikes I tend to be an early adoptor.

• Member Contributer
do you have a part number for it ?
Compufire 55402 - pn 2112-0416 ---- Made in USA :smile:

screwed together in the USA? or do all compomnents come from the USA as well? :ohmy:

• Member Contributer
do you have a part number for it ?
Compufire 55402 - pn 2112-0416 ---- Made in USA :smile:

screwed together in the USA? or do all compomnents come from the USA as well? :ohmy:

The box says made in USA. Specifically, I know its made in California. -- - Components? No way to know where they are from.

• Member Contributer

The other US manufacturer of series-type reg/recs is Cycle Electric. I believe our good friend Shindengen also makes a series reg/rec, but I have never seen one for sale in the aftermarket (nor do I know of any OEM applications for it), but it is shown on their Web site...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

It looks like Cycle Electric focuses exclusively on Harley work, have people been adapting them to other makes? I guess at least in theory it should just be a change of connectors, but having never seen an electrical diagram for an HD I could be mistaken.

• Member Contributer

The other US manufacturer of series-type reg/recs is Cycle Electric. I believe our good friend Shindengen also makes a series reg/rec, but I have never seen one for sale in the aftermarket (nor do I know of any OEM applications for it), but it is shown on their Web site...

Ciao,

The Shindengen R/R's that start with FH are referred to as "Series" in various places. These are on all the new bikes from the factory. FH012 is the famous R1 R/R, FH010 is, I believe, on the ZX10, and there is a CBR model that uses a pig-tail connection rather than plug directly into the unit. It's FH-something. I have no idea how they relate to the Compufire units, as far as function...

It looks like Cycle Electric focuses exclusively on Harley work, have people been adapting them to other makes? I guess at least in theory it should just be a change of connectors, but having never seen an electrical diagram for an HD I could be mistaken.

It seems that all modern motorcycles are using a 3 phase AC stator, and converting that to 14v DC with the R/R. So that should make all of them compatible with the appropriate connectors. With the possible exception of the Goldwing, which appears (from what I've read) to use an automotive type alternator. The difference being that it automatically switches power generation on and off to match the needs of the system. This is what the Compufire R/R does externally.

The above is only my take on things. I may be completely wrong, but these are the conclusions I've gathered from my reading up on these systems and the possible "fixes".

• Member Contributer

Best price I'm seeing is about $180 before shipping.

Anyone know better?

http://www.usmotoman....ystem/-1_17037

$173.39

Shipping will make or break it.

http://www.debrix.co...cf55402-mca.htm

$171.99

I bought mine from --

Chrome Addiction

$173.xx shipped

• Member Contributer

Best price I'm seeing is about $180 before shipping.

Anyone know better?

http://www.usmotoman....ystem/-1_17037

$173.39

Shipping will make or break it.

http://www.debrix.co...cf55402-mca.htm

$171.99

I bought mine from --

Chrome Addiction

$173.xx shipped

Got mine from Chrome Addiction also.......

• Member Contributer

Some head scratching on hookup of this thing. - The stator wires are an obvious no brainer. But I have read to connect the power wires direct to the battery, fused of course. So, does that mean to leave the normal r/w and green connector that the stock R/R would plug into, open, no R/R connection to that stocker connector?

I bought the NAPA pins for the stator connector supplied from CF, and jeez, thier kinda wimpy. Dunno if I want to use them.

-- Will they be ok? Supposed to be 16 gauge.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Some head scratching on hookup of this thing. - The stator wires are an obvious no brainer. But I have read to connect the power wires direct to the battery, fused of course. So, does that mean to leave the normal r/w and green connector that the stock R/R would plug into, open, no R/R connection to that stocker connector?

I bought the NAPA pins for the stator connector supplied from CF, and jeez, thier kinda wimpy. Dunno if I want to use them.

Thanks

Just leave the stock male R/R connector alone. Wrap it with some tape and forget about it. I got my FH011AA hooked up directly to the battery.

• Member Contributer

Thanks

Just leave the stock male R/R connector alone. Wrap it with some tape and forget about it. I got my FH011AA hooked up directly to the battery.

You mean the female connector that the wires dissappear into the harness on the bike - right? That's what the roadstercycle guy is saying.. - Check his easy mosfet hookup link.....

http://roadstercycle.com/

• Member Contributer

That are it. On the 00-01's we have a clearish plug with 5 wires. Two red, two green, and one black (monitor wire).

FYI. That single red wire plug above the black and clear stator plug. Unplug it and make sure the female spade connector inside is tight. I stuck a small flat blade screw driver in it to close it up some so the male fits nice and tight. Some people have that melt on them.

• Member Contributer

I think I posted my wiring diagram somewhere, but here it is again:

post-362-0-67891300-1316726080_thumb.gif

I found this quote on the Roadstercycle web site a bit puzzling, as I'd thought one of the main benefits of the series-type reg/rec was its un-loading of the stator, but doesn't that imply that there is less heat to dissipate in the first place? In other words, instead of taking all of the stator's energy and converting it to DC or to heat, the series reg/rec causes the stator to produce only as much energy as is required by the bike at any given time. :mellow:

IMPORTANT!!! Series Regulators unload your stator but the heat has to go somewhere, the regulator is where it ends up!! These series regulators have to be in the airflow so get them out in front if you can. Don't put them under your seat or tail section they need cooling.

(Btw, earlier I was referring to the Shindengen SH775, which according to http://www.shindengen.co.jp/product_e/electro/catalog.html, is a "series style" reg/rec.)

Ciao,

Archived