Best distance/commuting tire

Guest LoneRider

Guest LoneRider

I have been spoiled by my 2001 Concours (may she rest in peace after 77,000+ miles) running Metzler ME880's and getting 15,000-18,000+ miles on a set of tires. I commute 80 miles a day, and need long wearing tires more than I need every possible degree of lean.

I've tried to search the threads, but folks seem more obsessed with grip than miles and those that mention miles seem to think 3500 is "good". Let's here some numbers for those of us that lean more to the "tour" side than the "sport" side and what kind of tires last longer.

Hearing good things about the BT023's lasting long, but no numbers quoted. I'd like to go 10k between changes

I'm probably not the best to brag about high numbers. I commute on my bike, but also ride the mountains on the weekends. Most of the time 2-up. I've gotten 2,800 miles out of Pirelli Corsa III's and 3,000 - 3,200 out of Pirelli Diablo's. I have also tried Strada's and most recently BT-023GT's. I still can't seem to get more than 3,500-4k miles out of a rear tires. Normally about double that for a front. I'm not small, ride 2-up a lot, and it is hot in Georgia. All contribute to higher tire wear. I'd love to be able to get 8k-10k miles out of a set. It just doesn't happen for me, even with the harder ST tires.

I've got about 4000 miles on a set of BT021's - maybe another 5 or 6 hundred miles in the back tire if I take it easy. It's all slab riding here, so the center tread is nearly to the wear bars. The front tire looks like it'll do at least twice the mileage before it needs to be replaced.

A friend of mine is just now replacing his non-GT version BT-023 rear on his ST1300 after about 10.5k miles - probably 50% slab. Also have a guy running the GT version on his FJR1300 and he's at about 7500 and it still looks good.

I've got about 5k on my Michelin PR2 and no signs of wearing out soon. This is the first "brand new" tire I've had on the back so my experience is limited with ST-type tires.

YMMV...quite literally on this one. :fing02:

I get 9 to10k on my front tyre, and 8 to 9000k on the rear.

Roads are mediums(grain), my rides are a balance between s's and straight.... easy on 1st/2nd acceleration.

I use PR2's from mich

• Member Contributer

I would put the Goldwing Dunlaps on. Dont remember the model but should be easy to find. I have heard of 10,000 miles on a set.

GWs have 18 front and 16 rear. However the best mileage rear tire I have put on my VFR is a Dunlop Roadsmart.

Ridden in mostly twisty S Cal and touring in Canada. Best profile rear at the end of tire life.

2621232400099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I would put the Goldwing Dunlaps on. Dont remember the model but should be easy to find. I have heard of 10,000 miles on a set.

GWs have 18 front and 16 rear. However the best mileage rear tire I have put on my VFR is a Dunlop Roadsmart.

Ridden in mostly twisty S Cal and touring in Canada. Best profile rear at the end of tire life.

2621232400099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are the ones I was talking about.

post-18972-0-11485200-1313178280_thumb.j

post-18972-0-82094400-1313178301_thumb.j

post-18972-0-72323800-1313178333_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

Looks like its been replaced by this tire.

170/60R-17 (72H) Dunlop D220 OE Rear Motorcycle Tire

Regular: $289.95

Our price: $178.99

Part# 1200410002

Size: Select 160/60ZR-17 (69W) 170/60R-17 (72H) 200/50ZR-17 (75W) 5+ In-Stock

PS: First Gen Gold Wings Had 17 inch(4.5) rear tire

• Member Contributer

Hi Lonerider,

Here's my mileage with my last set of Dunlop Roadsmarts.

I put the front on 07/12/10 with 39,600 miles on the odometer.

I out the rear on 10/20/10 with 44,625 miles on the odometer.

I put new tires (f and r) on 06/27/11 with 58,650 miles on the odo.

That gives me 19,050 on the front and 14,025 on the rear.

My commute is 56 miles round trip. The tires got squared off from so much straight up riding, but were never a danger due to tread wear. I replaced them before our monsoon season here in southern Arizona so I'd have good tires in the rain.

I'd have to change tires with every oil change with some of these soft tires.

Two thumbs up on these tires!

YellowFuzz

I have Continental Motions on my 5th gen and they have been wonderful so far. We're at 5k miles already and after checking the tread just now I won't be surprised if I can get another 3-5k from them :)

• Member Contributer

This is one of those things that you need to consider carefully.

You may want mileage, but riding a VFR you are likely to at some point require some decent grip.

I put Michelin Pilot Road 2s on my '04 June 1 of this year.

Having accumulated almost 6,000 miles on them, I couldn't be happier with the ride and performance.

I have read where the rear has 6 mm of tread in the center to start with and I still have about 4 mm left.

Based on the wear rate so far, I expect to get 10,000 plus out of them before replacing them. I do replace tires when they reach the wear bars so I don't squeeze the last couple of thousand miles out of them.

They are pricey, but what part of motorcycling isn't?

I don't consider myself to be an aggressive rider and my "chicken strips" are about 10 mm. I would rather have chicken strips on my tires rather than idiot strips on my body work. :biggrin:

I run the Honda manual recommended 36 front and 42 rear and am very careful to maintain proper inflation.

Iowa doesn't have a lot of twisty roads, but we do have some stretches with 20 to 45 mph posted suggested speeds. 20 mph over those speeds is pretty standard, 30 over is still comfortable and 40 over makes my heart beat a little faster. I'm sure the fast guys are well over that, but my abilities are limited and I ride within them.

Most road surfaces here are not too abrasive. I avoid interstates and speeds vary from 55 to low triple digits. The IHP is fairly lenient and will usually give you 10 over. Even if you are 15+ over and aren't creating a traffic hazard, they will often drop the speed violation to 5 over. That still goes on your license and is reported to your insurance company.

It will also cost you $87.50.

Sheesh! I wrote a book just to recommend the Pilot Road 2. :blush:

I also commute 90 miles a day and the best tire I have found is the Shinko 009. Not only does this tire deliver high mileage, it does well in the twistiies and in the wet. I have run through several sets; just ordered my next set yesterday from Chaparral for $168 delivered. On my 4th gen I get 12,000 miles from a rear and about 15,000 from the front. For the money you can't beat them.

I also commute 90 miles a day and the best tire I have found is the Shinko 009. Not only does this tire deliver high mileage, it does well in the twistiies and in the wet. I have run through several sets; just ordered my next set yesterday from Chaparral for $168 delivered. On my 4th gen I get 12,000 miles from a rear and about 15,000 from the front. For the money you can't beat them.

I agree completely. Just got back from an 800 mile trip on my new Shinko 009's and they still look brank new. Don't let the price of these tires fool you!!

• Member Contributer

I agree completely. Just got back from an 800 mile trip on my new Shinko 009's and they still look brank new. Don't let the price of these tires fool you!!

Please compare the mileage to other tires you have run? I find most folks get different mileage out of tires (throttle, temp, load etc). I have had my best mileage out of Roadsmart at 7K but only get 4-5K out of most rears.

I replaced my Roadsmarts after 9000 miles (with another set of Roadsmarts). I bet they still had another couple thou in them though, I just didn't want to be out on a 3k trip and have to change tires. I'm totally happy with the grip (plenty) and wear of them.

ME 880's

Have a lot of tread, I thnk you'll find the proad 2 will give the same milege , plus put you in a total different world of performance.

The BT23 does not meet Road 2 life or perfromance, the bt23 is down right dangerous in poor winter weather conditions.

• Member Contributer

Hi Lonerider,

YellowFuzz

:blink: Holy xxxx! :blink: You sure you didnt have little nomes sneaking into your garage a few times and levering on new tires while you sleep?

• Member Contributer

Hi Lonerider,

The following is my mileage chart the 1st 2nd & third were Pirelli Diablo's Good tire for our Northwest weather. This year I changed to the Shinko Raven 009 & I must say so far a great tire... & only 160 for the set :biggrin: & since I change my own they are a great deal I also put a set of there 712's on my commuter 80 CX 500 with no issues the reason the front was changed at 11,639 was due to an issue after I got backed into...otherwise it would have went a lot further, same with the last rear...I just wanted to change them at the same time. Hope to see you out & about some time :fing02:

TIRES

1st SET 16,220 10/14/06 10/06/07

2ND FRONT 11,639 10/06/07 06/13/09

2ND REAR 17,869 10/06/07 10/31/09

Front 16,779 06/13/09 04/30/11

Rear 10,549 10/31/09 04/30/11

Shinko's 2,979 04/30/11

Gary

• Member Contributer

Hi Lonerider,

YellowFuzz

:blink: Holy xxxx! :blink: You sure you didnt have little nomes sneaking into your garage a few times and levering on new tires while you sleep?

I do! They also do my oil changes...

Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3!

Running the 2 model on my 02, I got 11K out of the rear and the next one I did over 12K!

The front did over 16K !!!!

Mostly commuting and touring, but plenty of twisties, and they still grip there too!

I have ran the Shinko 009 Raven's as well, very hard, they might wear just as long, but you sacrifice a lot of grip!

I took them off before they wore out because I hated them.

The Michelin's have them beat hands down.

• Member Contributer

Hi Lonerider,

YellowFuzz

Are they for hire?

:biggrin::biggrin:

Really you high mile tire guys blow me away..... Over multiple bikes and tires I get 5500 tops in the front and 3800 tops in the rear. I'm running a Roadsmart in the rear now, well see how it goes.

Its gotta be a riding style thing for the diiference.

Hi Lonerider,

YellowFuzz

Are they for hire?

:biggrin::biggrin:

Really you high mile tire guys blow me away..... Over multiple bikes and tires I get 5500 tops in the front and 3800 tops in the rear. I'm running a Roadsmart in the rear now, well see how it goes.

Its gotta be a riding style thing for the diiference.

Two things, I think. Riding style (throttle/brake/downshifting, speed, bike loading) and climate (hot, cold)

I used to get 15,000km (easily) out of touring tires (Dunlop, Bridgestone, etc) when I started riding my VFR. As the years went by I got less and less and then switched to super long lasting PR and PR2. Now (6 summers and 115,000km later), by the time I reach 9000km on my PR2's they look and feel like sh!t. Same bike, better more aggressive rider! Bloody expensive though! :pissed: I think if I had PR2 when I just got my bike, I probably would have hit 20,000km.

Brian

Archived