TEENAGE TEXTER takes out me, my RC36, a Mustang Cobra and his Dad's BMW in a head-on crash

Guest StillwaterVFR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Wow, that's pretty sobering. What's so scary to me is something like that is impossible to anticipate. Truly glad you survived it.

Chuck

• Member Contributer

Glad you are okay and it sounds like the others will also recover. It only takes a thousand of a second to go from good to disaster. Please be 110% vigilant. I drive a Ford F-150 4x3 pick-up. Since I sit up higher than your average car, I notice a lot of people fiddling with their phone while driving. I find myself blowing the horn and pointing at these ignorant people more often.

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear you're OK.. Really !!!!!!! Texting is total crap...

Anyway, they talk about DUI's , and they talk about no texting and driving, and they really don't do anything. BUT... This new dialog about "Distracted Driving" seems to be catching on (gives them a title when they pull them over...That's a good thing).

They finally did something about it in BC but I'm not sure how much of an effect it is having. We now have a law preventing people from operating a phone or gps etc unless it can be activated with one button push. I still see people talking on the cell or texting all the time and often will give them a horn honk if I'm beside them.

Only problem is you never know what reaction you might get.

BC

Well, it was a more exciting Sunday afternoon ride than I was expecting. After following an older couple in a Mustang Cobra convertible as they drove along at 35 MPH, I decided to see if a pass was possible. After spotting a fast-moving BWM approaching in the oncoming lane, I settled back behind the Mustang.

Then, out of the blue, he swerves directly into our lane and hits the Mustang head-on on the passenger side and there is plastic, bumpers and glass everywhere in the air. The Mustang does a 180 as I jam the front brakes... But not with enough space to swerve since the Mustang's rear-end came into my path on it's rotation. Rather than broadside (T-bone), my RC36 deflected off the passenger door and my front tire hit the rear passenger-side tire the car. Like a strange movie scene.

I went down onthe right side and landed on my Vanson leathers and Arai Vector (which I just voted 10 minutes ago as "my favorite helmet" in the VFRD poll).

After picking up the bike and visiting the older couple in the Mustang (not in very good shape) I went to the young guy who climbed out of the BWM. He was clutching his iPhone still (broken screen) and after asking him if he was alright, I asked him if he was texting... He was.

3 ambulances picked us all up. He is in bad shape and the old folks are too.

Thank God I'm ok. As a careful, 40-year-old rider with 22 years of

experience, this was a classic case of teenage distracted driving combined with speeding. Apparently he was late for football practice.

Guys- this is the most dangerous time in history to be riding because of texting and cell phone usage. Please join with me right now to never text and drive... Not even in your SUV in the middle of Nebraska on I-80.

So, we will see if another RC36 is retired due to this... I know a rider has NOT been retired, even after a dramatic series of events. I'll post a few photos when I'm back at the computer.

I had a guy come right at me last week on my trip, put me on the shoulder..i could see him texting!!

Those Fing things are going to be as bad a killer as cigarettes and drunk driving if they arnt already! I wish they had never invented the obnoxious things! My kids are always amazed how the world could have worked before they came along! And y'know, it worked better than it does today!

Glad to hear you're OK.. Really !!!!!!! Texting is total crap...

I still remember years ago riding though Kansas on the 70 slab, there was not one car on the road from horizon to horizon, except for one car coming up on my left(lane)rear, and being ever watchful when it reached my rear wheel I saw it drift into my lane(bubble mirrors) and I moved over on the paved shoulder... No biggy... But what I want to know is Iooking in their window, they were looking at a big map spread all across the dash, that's ok too(if nothing is on the road. So with all that time and space(and no intersections in sight)....Just why couldn't they stop looking at the map for the time it took them to pass me?????????

Anyway, they talk about DUI's , and they talk about no texting and driving, and they really don't do anything. BUT... This new dialog about "Distracted Driving" seems to be catching on (gives them a title when they pull them over...That's a good thing).

Thx for the heads up....We're the only ones that can protect us........ Keep the eyes moving getting the big picure .......

And again sorry you got caught up in one of those nothing you could do to save yourself things.

You are absolutely right! Thanks.

Even the cops are on the phone and using the computer while driving, and yeah they are creating accidents. I thought the same thing had the cobra not been there to block he might have been the bug on the winshield. At the same time without the cobra in the way, he;d have been going alot faster and missed the point of Line cross.

But when you have 2 vehicles going airborne head on, thats a Major Motion Picture

Right on

Real glad to hear that you are here to tell us about it.

On a related note, the idiot gov. who wants to be your pres. ( after saying Texass should secede from the other 49) vetoed a bill that would have made it illegal to text etc. while driving.He sited personal freedom as the reason for the veto!!!

Same guy that signed a bill that mandates a woman get a sonogram before a certain medical procedure can be performed on her body.

Sorry about the injection of politics into the discussion.

Maybe the driver owes you more than a bike for being such a D.A.

We will see - I'm already on craigslist to see how the RC36 market looks right now...

It good to hear your OK. I do try to note even the smallest oddity on the road then keep an eye on them. In your case I don't see how you could have avoided the situation.

Rob

• Member Contributer

They're not iPhones, I call 'em diePhones.

Glad you, the mustang couple and yes, even the idiot child are going to be ok. Now comes the fun part-did the punk have insurance? I'd have my insurance and attorney call Mommy and Daddy.

Thank God you're okay. Your report is sobering and upsetting, but what matters is that you (and all other parties) survived. Keep us updated on your recovery and the final diagnosis of your bike.

In all this ruckus, I have to ask. Was the Cobra an original or a kit?

I just finished a lecture with my students last week explaining to them the point that you made: It is far more dangerous to ride today than ever before.

Students: "Why? Is it because bikes today go so fast?"

No. Despite speed, which is always a factor, bikes are far more controlled today than ever before. A bike does what it does, goes in a straight line. It can do this without a rider. A bike only misbehaves when the rider makes a mistake or when the road conditions present an unexpected change. Other than that, the bike itself is pretty safe at almost any speed.

Students: "Then why?"

Before, riding was dangerous simply because riding was dangerous. It was something the rider had more ownership of when accepting the responsibilities that came with riding. A motorcycle was simply inherently dangerous, and that was that. Today, the danger exists from external factors which the rider has zero control over. Texting, talking, radio, GPS, general lack of attention due to advanced technology and information delivery such as texting and tweeting, short tempers caused by stressful lifestyles and a general lack of patience. The list goes on.

Students: "Why do you ride if it's so dangerous?"

*smile* Because I love it. If any of you ever ride, do it right and do it safely. For me, riding is a way of life, not a hobby. When I'm out there, I want to enjoy my time with my bike, but also to lead by example. Be observant. Be patient. Be aware. Be quick to react when necessary. Don't stunt. Don't speed into ridiculous numbers. Split safely. Just don't be an a-hole.

One student in particular: "Will you talk to my dad? I told him I wanted to ride a motorcycle and he said no."

As far as your parents are concerned, I don't even know what a motorcycle is. Something that all of you need to know: You are NOT ALLOWED to go home and start sentences with the phrase, "My teacher said...."

Great perspective and lesson!

• Member Contributer

Glad you're ok, and good you had ATGATT. Hope the bike can be put back together or replaced.

As far as dogs, they don't belong on the gas tank of the Harley either, I wish someone would tell the 2 local Harley riders I see all the time.

Veefer, still litigating?!?

I'm not a fan of the nanny state but if people can't take personal responsibility and endanger others to this extent with their behavior, I'm all for harsher penalties.

There was a comedian that said just give everyone that drives dart guns that shoot darts with little flags that would hang on the side of the car that was shot with one. They would have things like "Idiot";"Stupid";"jerk":etc.......... after someone gets shoot with three of them the police would pull them over and give them a ticket for being dumb. :fing02:

Well, it was a more exciting Sunday afternoon ride than I was expecting. After following an older couple in a Mustang Cobra convertible as they drove along at 35 MPH, I decided to see if a pass was possible. After spotting a fast-moving BWM approaching in the oncoming lane, I settled back behind the Mustang.

Then, out of the blue, he swerves directly into our lane and hits the Mustang head-on on the passenger side and there is plastic, bumpers and glass everywhere in the air. The Mustang does a 180 as I jam the front brakes... But not with enough space to swerve since the Mustang's rear-end came into my path on it's rotation. Rather than broadside (T-bone), my RC36 deflected off the passenger door and my front tire hit the rear passenger-side tire the car. Like a strange movie scene.

I went down onthe right side and landed on my Vanson leathers and Arai Vector (which I just voted 10 minutes ago as "my favorite helmet" in the VFRD poll).

After picking up the bike and visiting the older couple in the Mustang (not in very good shape) I went to the young guy who climbed out of the BWM. He was clutching his iPhone still (broken screen) and after asking him if he was alright, I asked him if he was texting... He was.

experience, this was a classic case of teenage distracted driving combined with speeding. Apparently he was late for football practice.

Guys- this is the most dangerous time in history to be riding because of texting and cell phone usage. Please join with me right now to never text and drive... Not even in your SUV in the middle of Nebraska on I-80.

So, we will see if another RC36 is retired due to this... I know a rider has NOT been retired, even after a dramatic series of events. I'll post a few photos when I'm back at the computer.

Wow...that's some scary stuff and awfully sobering...so glad to hear you are okay (bike can be replaced YOU can't). I'll join you and never text and drive, its not very hard to wait a few minutes and pull over. Hopefully your RC36 is okay as well and not totaled...

-Mike

Wow...that's some scary stuff and awfully sobering...so glad to hear you are okay (bike can be replaced YOU can't). I'll join you and never text and drive, its not very hard to wait a few minutes and pull over. Hopefully your RC36 is okay as well and not totaled...

-Mike

I went one more step, I called my cell provider and had them x-out any text in or out going on my cell, only talking works.

Matter of fact, I usually turn it on every week or so to see if someone left a message. Usually not :laughing6-hehe:

-Mike

I went one more step, I called my cell provider and had them x-out any text in or out going on my cell, only talking works.

Matter of fact, I usually turn it on every week or so to see if someone left a message. Usually not :laughing6-hehe:

You probably have made the best decision of all. Thanks for the post.

There was a comedian that said just give everyone that drives dart guns that shoot darts with little flags that would hang on the side of the car that was shot with one. They would have things like "Idiot";"Stupid";"jerk":etc.......... after someone gets shoot with three of them the police would pull them over and give them a ticket for being dumb. :fing02:

That might be some of the best advice I've heard in a long time! The problem is that there would be so many people with some 10+ darts on their vehicles...there wouldn't be enough police to ticket them!

Gla that everyone is going to come away alive from this one though! ATGATT sure saved a life again here!

• Member Contributer

StillwaterVFR, I'm so glad you weren't seriously injured or killed in this senseless accident. Your awareness and skills should be commended.

If there is a little adrenaline junky in all of us who ride motorcycles, this is clearly more adrenaline than any of us want in a single dose! I hope your bike is easily repairable and you never have to endure this again. My state recently enacted a law making it illegal to text while driving. Will it be a sufficient deterrent? I hope so but I doubt it.

• Member Contributer

Yay, you're OK!

Any charges to driver ?

(Sorry if I missed it in previous posts.)

A co-worker got me a t-shirt last week - "Would you drive better with that cell phone shoved up your a**?" and a picture of a girl doing her makeup. Bikers Against Dumb Drivers.

More advice I would give to all riders, and it relates to Keith Code or somebody's book, about your dollar's worth of attention - DO NOT waste your attention on music while riding; your life may depend on it! I'm not judging, just saying that with the increased distraction going on out there, we can not afford to be anywhere but at the top of our game.

For example, I just completed a 1900 km trip over this holiday weekend without a single close call, but with innumerable observations of people on phones - I just get the heck away from them, and I actively look for them. I even plan to use that as defense against a possible next traffic stop. "Sure I sped a bit; I was trying to get far away from the guy texting in that silver minivan (or whatever) that just went by."

Happy trails.

Hey Stillwater,

Glad to see that you are OK.

I was wondering if you were in MN when this happened now that texting while driving is now illegal in MN.

I have not had to put my bike down yet but I have lost count of the times that a car has swerved into my lane without looking much less signaling not to mention the time I was going to work and someone flicked their cigarette out the window and it hit me in the foot. :angry: I guess I've been luckiy up to now.

I'm just down the road from you in Lakeland and I'm 42 with more than 20 years on 2 wheels. :biggrin

I would love to go on a ride when you aquire your new bike. Best of luck.

Kevin M.

P.S. There is a 91 VFR on Chicago's craigslist with less than 12k miles and a left side exhaust that looks pretty nice. Might be worth the trip.

@vfrcapn:

Yes, the legal wranglings are still in progress. I have a horrible limp while barefoot accompanied with some pain. And with my special-kid shoes on, and trying as hard as possible to look normal, almost zero limp, but still some pain with distance covered. :-(

Back at work full time and it's a bitch some days to keep rollin forward, as my job entails a lot of walking.

Archived