tire screwed but no leak

skymon

• Member Contributer

Pulled this screw out of the rear but it evidently didn't puncture through. Went in sideways through tread. Not very confidence inspiring. What do you think?

p.s. BTW, who's got PR2s for the best price right now

post-19514-0-04506500-1308538448_thumb.j

Pulled this screw out of the rear but it evidently didn't puncture through. Went in sideways through tread. Not very confidence inspiring. What do you think?

i can tell it was into the liner, Miches have good liners, One time I cut a Ppower from on a rail road track all the way to the liner, upon replacement, I checked the inside , not even a dimple.

But its marginal, but if it dont leak what can you say, if it does start to leak, that angle is hard to fix

I had one like that a couple of months ago, in my case it went all the way though,so I pluged it and got short of 3000 more out of it(it was getting thin so it no longer supported the plug(string).

In your case you should be able to run it all the way to the normal wear before replacement since you didn't break the inner seal, and there's nothing that's going to make the hole any worse. As it wears down check it to see if it wants to throw a chunk...Which i'd say it won't being that it such a small imperfection......... Since you asked..... opinions may vary......

• Member Contributer

Unless you are positive that a cord wasn't cut or clipped by the screw, is it really worth taking a chance?

Unless you are positive that a cord wasn't cut or clipped by the screw, is it really worth taking a chance?

Just for the purpose of discussion.... You're right..... but when a nail/screw that goes all the way though and is plugged with a gummy sring seems to work with no ill effects.... I can't see that something that didn't even get though enough rubber to make it leak, could bring any more harm...........?????

• Member Contributer

I'd ride it.

If you need an extra piece of mind, you can patch this spot from the inside. Probably not necessary, but it it makes you feel better...

• Member Contributer

I would ride it.

I rode about a thousand miles with this screw in Canada a couple of years ago. Pulled it out when I found it after I got home. Never leaked and kept on riding.2053522220099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Just for the purpose of discussion.... You're right..... but when a nail/screw that goes all the way though and is plugged with a gummy sring seems to work with no ill effects.... I can't see that something that didn't even get though enough rubber to make it leak, could bring any more harm...........?????

No doubt many can point to plugging a tire and "getting away with it". My point is that one doesn't know what that screw has cut and weakened inside the tire and yet are willing to risk life and limb. We don't do ATGATT because we know there will be an accident, we do it to be safe.............. I see it as the same situation with a damaged tire.

I checked the Dunlop website and they allow a puncture repair, but with substantial restrictions.

• Member Contributer

Unless you are going on a multi-state ride or doing a track-day I wouldn't worry about it. Just check it every time you stop for gas and spritz a little windex on that spot to check for a leak. You might also squirt some tire cement in the hole.

These places have offered good deals in the past....

Motorcycle Superstore

Derby Cycles

Jake Wilson

• Member Contributer

Let's see, that's 7 of 8 responses advising riding. I kind of think its probably fine myself. Then my wife told me how she really supports my riding and really appreciates how careful I am and don't take unnecessary chances. I got a PR2 from Jake Wilson

For the record though. I don't think I've ever even heard of a crash due to puncture...

You are lucky on two counts. One because it did not leak, two because if it did, the puncture is in easiest area of the tire to patch or plug if it di go through.

Still watch it though before your next few yards to make sure it's not just leaking real slow on you.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Before you take it off, do some nice burnouts! :fing02:

Archived