Six Weeks, a Tent and a VFR - Updated November 12th: Traffic with a Capitol "T", Hollywood and the Score: Wind 1: Olive 0 (Day 41/48)

• Member Contributer

Spent last night at the Vero Beach Kamp Campground.

Not sure when you'll see this message.

You're within a few miles of my mother's house in Melbourne Beach. If you haven't already done so, you should cross the Indian River and ride Highway AIA for a short while at least. The speed limit varries from 30-55 mph (approx 50-90 kph) or so as the highway passes through the towns where there are stop lights. According to Google Map, there is a crossing bridge right by the Vero Beach Kamp RV Park.

Edit: I don't know you personally but I would be interested in your published book. I like road trips and I would like to do somthing similiar (but in smaller trips) at some point. I've also spent time fishing in Canada (only in Ontario) and love it there. I'm going to North Battleford, Saskatchewan on July 14 for one week.

I'm also interrested in a 2007 or 2008 VFR ABS.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

If you haven't already done so, you should cross the Indian River and ride Highway AIA for a short while at least. The speed limit varries from 30-55 mph (approx 50-90 kph) or so as the highway passes through the towns where there are stop lights.

I've been mostly on 1 and A1A. Lots of stoplights on both roadways. (It is much hotter in gear when you are constantly stopping). Gorgeous scenery!

• Member Contributer

oohsnapp!! And you camped there? Great balls of fire! Got any shots of the smoke ride?

I still have to do a proper job running through photos, but you wanted to see what the smoke ride looked like (this was South Georgia on Tuesday).

Smoke from Forest Fires:

post-15151-0-74487700-1308801767_thumb.j

post-15151-0-34006300-1308801747_thumb.j

Also a couple of shots from the storm on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is the evening of the storm - looking down you can see very low lying clouds. This was a very brief lull in the rain, and by the time I had geared up this overlook had whispy clouds blow in so quickly that it was as if I was riding through a thick fog:

post-15151-0-36452500-1308801939_thumb.j

The morning after showcased some of the leaves that had been stripped from trees. There were also a lot of twigs stripped, as well as some branches and whole trees. This shot shows the road that the path of cars had been clearing as they drove over the detrius of the storm:

post-15151-0-80895100-1308802020_thumb.j

An overlook that had not had the same benefit of cars "sweeping" up the leaves:

post-15151-0-21351400-1308802078_thumb.j

(I wasn't kidding when I mentioned the less-than-optimal riding conditions).

• Member Contributer

This trip is ultimately going to be published in book form - at least that is my plan.

I'd buy that book :cheerleader:

But it needs lots of pictures, i like pictures

...definitely waiting for my copy as well!! From Calgary to there has me wondering if there is an 'optimal time' to do this, lol!! I think youve experienced all four seasons in like a month...

• Member Contributer

This trip is ultimately going to be published in book form - at least that is my plan.

:+1: on pics...and make sure the print is big so I can see it

:laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Seeing Cruz's on the list you better make it a DVD :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Seeing Cruz's on the list you better make it a DVD :laughing6-hehe:

Step right up for the awards aussie :laughing6-hehe: see both of ya in a few days and we can discuss everything over a "quick one" :bliss:

Spent last night at the Vero Beach Kamp Campground. It isn't actually on a beach, but I had my own private creek that was covered in some form of green algae and came with an abundant supply of no-see-ums who found the white Canadian liberally seasoned with Deep Woods Off to be an irresistibly tasty appetizer. It was a secluded corner of the campground so I opted to sleep in the tent without the fly.

Glad you've dipped down into the Sunshine State, Olive. I wish the weather was a little more hospitable without the fires clouding up the view. It's just an unusual year. Just wanted to share a recent mosquito repellent review of the top finishers done by Slate magazine, FWIW:

Methodology

I set out to test two categories of personal repellents: chemical agents and natural treatments. First, I surveyed drugstore shelves for popular brands. I also polled mosquito experts—including a dermatologist, an epidemiologist, and a fisherman. After paring down my list to nine products, I devised plans for three rounds of tests. The first two rounds occurred with friends at backyard cookouts. The third round consisted of a group of friends and me on the bluffs of the Mississippi—prime mosquito territory. For three hours we rubbed, we sprayed, we drank several cases of beer. Many of us were bitten incessantly; a lucky few fared well with our choices.

All participants rated repellents on three factors. Ease of use (10 percent of total score): Is the repellent easy to apply? Does it require multiple applications? Practicality (20 percent): Would you wear this to an outdoor evening wedding or a romantic meal down by the river, or is the scent too overpowering? Does it stain clothes? Is it sticky? Effectiveness (70 percent): How durable is the product? Does it work as promised? Most importantly, does it successfully fend off bloodsuckers? And finally, natural products received a five-point bonus.

Off! Deep Woods Spray

Price: $4.99 at drugstore.com

Category: chemical agent

Active ingredient: DEET

After a single whiff, one tester remarked that this repellent smells like roach killer. That comment, combined with the repellent's 30 percent DEET solution, scared off most other testers. But I was excited to test it. Despite the toxicity, Dr. John D. Huber of the Memphis Dermatology Clinic swears by this product, recommending it to his patients as well as his family—and his three children are ages 4, 6, and 8. Off! Deep Woods lived up to his recommendation—just one application, and no bites all night. But friends were repelled by our DEET aura, and you can forget about enjoying food and drink. Our sinus cavities were so dulled we couldn't taste anything—not even the cold hops in a bottle of beer. We may have been bite-free, but it took a hot bath and a good night's sleep to restore our equilibrium.

Ease of use: 8

Practicality: 4

Effectiveness: 70

Total: 82

Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Spray

Price: $5.19 at drugstore.com

Category: natural treatment

Active ingredient: p-menthane-3,8-diol

This tiny spray bottle packs a wallop—one pump of the formula, which is 40 percent lemon eucalyptus oil, will singe your nostril hairs and the strong scent means cuddling under the moonlight is out. But does it keep the bugs away? The folks at the CDC knew what they were talking about when they added this active ingredient to the list of effective repellents. Whether at a backyard cookout or down in the stagnant river bottoms, Repel lived up to its name, lasting all night long with just a single application.

Ease of use: 8

Practicality: 4

Natural ingredient bonus: 5

Total: 87

Off! Botanicals Lotion

Price: $6.59 at medichest.com

Category: chemical agent-meets-natural treatment

Active ingredient: p-menthane-3,8-diol and 7 percent DEET

The Off! Botanicals packaging touts its plant-derived formula extracted from eucalyptus leaves and twigs, but a closer look reveals that the product has a small percentage of DEET on its list of ingredients. Still, according to the EPA, Off! Botanicals isn't harmful to the environment and it can be applied judiciously without risk. Testers were thrilled to discover a mostly natural formula that could offer big-league protection: One application lasted upwards of two hours. The downside: While this lotion felt surprisingly light and nongreasy, its "garden scent" smelled like a cheap air freshener. Nevertheless, it did the trick, and we could rest easy in the great outdoors—no small feat in Memphis. The mosquitoes might hate it, but our test group gave Off! Botanicals a resounding "Amen."

Ease of use: 7

Practicality: 15

Natural ingredient bonus: 2.5

Total: 94.5

I wouldn't spend too much time searching for Off! Botanicals on your marvelous journey, but I'm glad somebody actually reviewed most of the commercially available offerings on the market. Keeps those pics and the insightful commentary coming! Rock on, Olive! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just wanted to share a recent mosquito repellent review of the top finishers done by Slate magazine, FWIW:

I have to admit that it is highly amusing to find tire recommendations and a review of Mosquito repellents in the same thread. :laughing6-hehe:

Yesterday I stayed on secondaries and local roads exploring a number of small islands, and places like Longboat Key. It is strange to be driving down a road on an island that is so narrow you can see the ocean by looking either left or right.

The weather isn't bad as long as I keep moving which allows a little breeze into my gear. Sitting stopped in traffic with the sun beating down creates my own private sauna.

I stopped at one of the local beaches and waded in the ocean. The water is surprisingly warm and the sand is very fine and soft. The beach was much cleaner than I had expected. Garbage strewn around was minimal. Since it was mid-week there weren't many people on the beach, but parking was still at a premium and roads on the islands and keys were busy.

Today's plan is to head up the north west coast of Florida.

Just wanted to share a recent mosquito repellent review of the top finishers done by Slate magazine, FWIW:

I have to admit that it is highly amusing to find tire recommendations and a review of Mosquito repellents in the same thread. :laughing6-hehe:

Yesterday I stayed on secondaries and local roads exploring a number of small islands, and places like Longboat Key. It is strange to be driving down a road on an island that is so narrow you can see the ocean by looking either left or right.

The weather isn't bad as long as I keep moving which allows a little breeze into my gear. Sitting stopped in traffic with the sun beating down creates my own private sauna.

I stopped at one of the local beaches and waded in the ocean. The water is surprisingly warm and the sand is very fine and soft. The beach was much cleaner than I had expected. Garbage strewn around was minimal. Since it was mid-week there weren't many people on the beach, but parking was still at a premium and roads on the islands and keys were busy.

Today's plan is to head up the north west coast of Florida.

I wish I had know you were passing through Jacksonville, there are a few of us here. I see you got to enjoy the smoke we have been dealing with for almost a month now. Since you are heading up the west coast of florida I would recommend camping at Ginnie Springs. Beautiful natural springs you can cool off in.

Yeah, that was pretty oblique. :biggrin: Glad it was entertaining! Guess you have to find your amusement where you can in a dark tent in a foreign land. At least we're here for ya', Olive. You go, girl, you're livin' my dream!

• Member Contributer

Yeah, that was pretty oblique. :biggrin: Glad it was entertaining! Guess you have to find your amusement where you can in a dark tent in a foreign land. At least we're here for ya', Olive. You go, girl, you're livin' my dream!

And apparently I am here for you guys as well.

Last night I had a few issues locating a campground. Don't get me wrong, I found many campgrounds, but they were all RV campgrounds. There is a definite preponderance of them in Florida. Generally if I see a sign that says "Bob's RV Campground" I don't even stop. I just keep riding. It was beginning to get dark and my search for a campground intensified. At times "find a campground" turns into a sport.

Success! I spotted a sign that indicated a campground. The name sounded promising. Nothing indicated that it was an RV Campground. I headed down the road, past a long grassy field that was apparently an airport judging by the small planes parked at the side of it. A boat was also parked alongside one of the planes. Through a forested road. Finally I found the sign indicating the turn for the campground.

I had lots of "fun" with one - downhill access was steep. Started on asphalt turned to packed gravel which rapidly turned into loose sand. I didn't like the direction this was going. At the bottom I found an "absolutely no tents allowed" sign. Not at all helpful. I looked at my options. Turning around seemed best accomplished by riding through the campground which was all deep, loose sand - at least the roads were. You could see the deep tire tracks left by the RVs that had passed there before me.

Just to clarify one small point... I do NOT like riding in deep, soft sand. I do not like turning in it. It gives a very sickening sensation as the bike slides at the slightest change of angle. I might feel differently about it if I weren't on the opposite side of the continent from home on a 550lb sport touring bike - I'm sure that dirt riding could be a great experience given the right machine underneath me. Namely one that can be dropped without undesirable consequences.

Very relieved to get back up on the main road I continued on until I finally found a KOA - not my favourite style of campground. This one was a parking lot in traditional KOA style with rows upon rows of RVs and a few tents sprinkled at the rear of the property. Loads of kids screaming around the grounds even though it was after dark. At the front there was a small pool, bicycle rentals and some kid-friendly entertainment. My tent site featured a prime view of the highway, and the gentle sounds of passing traffic and overhead planes and helicopters to lull me to sleep. This also involved riding on some sand roads within the campground to access the tent site, but at least it wasn't deep. It didn't take long for me to turn the bike off the sandy road and onto the grass which felt much more ridable.

Since I skipped dinner the night before I decided to stop this morning for a hot Southern breakfast including biscuits and grits.

I know "grits" are sorta like hot cereal, but it is not a common menu item for me up in Canada. My breakfast came to the table and I picked up a spoon and start eating. So grits are sorta like a congealed cream soup served luke-warm. I got a decidedly odd look from the waitress when she cames out with the actual bowl of grits. I was eating a white gravy that was intended for the biscuits.

After my food faux pas I spotted a sign for an attraction that looked interesting. I took a detour to the National Naval Aviation Museum . It is actually on the base. Entering the base I was asked for my driver's license and the guard did a double take remarking that I was quite a ways away from home. Very interesting place to wander through. My camera also got quite a workout.

• Member Contributer

I stopped at one of the local beaches and waded in the ocean.

So where are the bikini pictures?

:worthlesswithoutpics:

• Member Contributer

Dutchy - not everything in my ride report comes equipped with photos...

Today I was in the Houston area, and went riding with DarkKnight. We headed out to Galveston where I was shadowed by large Pelicans all day. Full report on today will be forthcoming - I'm still in catch-up mode from Canada!

• Member Contributer

Looking in the rear-view mirror... a detailed ride report from Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island. A few weeks late, but slowly getting caught up!

After another night sleeping in the chairs of the ferry I was ready for it to dock and return to the road. This morning was a little less foggy so it was possible to see the wake as the ship cut through the water. Although the previous night staff had indicated that the crossing was expected to be rough, to the point that even semi-trailers were tied down to the deck, it wasn't that bad. Occasionally the boat would rock which was an odd feeling. I was aware that all of my surroundings remained the same, but there was the undeniable feeling of motion followed by an attempt to remain vertical. On a sudden wave it was a feeling not unlike going down a flight of stairs, expecting one more step and finding a flat landing instead. Disconcerting.

The boat took much longer to dock that the previous trip, but eventually the boat was secured and the announcement came over the intercom for people to return to their vehicles. Going downstairs with the press of the crowd I quickly unhooked the restraints and prepared myself for another ride.

On the deck I talked briefly with some of the other guys who had bikes on the boat. A group of three had been touring Labrador on dual sport bikes which were appropriate to the rough, unpaved road conditions that are found up there. It is a large land-mass but population is sparse, and roads are under infrequent use. In many places access from one small town to the next is accomplished by boat or ferry instead of road. A very different, remote world up there. My off-road experience is very limited – really on-road but through challenging construction sites or unimproved forestry roads, so that is not the type of trip I would feel confident tackling on my own. It is also not the type of trip I would want to do solo, because finding help if needed could be a real challenge. Not many tow trucks in parts that remote, and it is a very long walk back to civilization.

I also said goodbye to Tom. He was planning a different route through Nova Scotia, so we were parting ways. He was a good guy to ride with the previous day because our riding styles were complimentary – neither of us were out to collect a “performance award”, and we both had the same idea of a decent pace.

Disembarking from the ferry my first priority was a tank of gas. It was becoming a rather urgent priority, so I took the first likely looking exit which had an effect opposite than I had intended. I managed to ride around using more gas without finding a place to replenish the tank. Returning to the highway I had a few questions in my mind as to how much further the bike would go without refuelling. It was good to see a “gas at this exit” sign come up on the road ahead.

The day was overcast and chilly, and I decided to stop for a quick coffee. Then I rode a little further and found a service station that actually had an accessible air hose. The bike garnered a bit of interest from one of the mechanics at the station, especially when he noticed that the plate wasn't exactly from those parts. At times it can be rewarding to see the double take that people give you when they realize just how far the bike is from home, and that you are on a solo trip.

Returning to the road I encountered drizzle and more fog. The roads weren't in great condition, but as with other parts of the maritimes I noted that occasionally the roads changed colour. In places the pavement had a reddish hue, in others greenish, and in others a more standard grey or black showing where fresh blacktop had been laid. The road surface was cracked and crazed, reminding me of the crazed glaze on cheap porcelain.

Despite the weather the road was enjoyable winding through a lot of small towns, houses clustered cloes to the road. Lots of narrow bridges went over the small streams and tributaries that ran across the land like a spider web. At times I had the scenery of a small lake.

Up ahead traffic slowed as we approached two patrol cars with blue and red lights flashing. As I rode up I was pulled to the side. The police were doing a vehicle inspection looking for an inspection sticker that indicated the vehicle could be taken on the highway. After realizing I was from Alberta, with different registration requirements I was waved through on my way.

The rain was very constant, and the day was chilly. I stopped at a McDonalds for coffee and to warm up. The menu amused me, and I decided that since I was in Atlantic Canada I had to try some local fare. I ordered a McLobster . I kid you not – in the Maritimes McDonalds actually offers McLobster which is made with real Lobster. It seems disconcerting given the cost of lobster in other parts of Canada and the States, but up there a fresh catch is affordable.

Returning to the bike I plugged my heated vest back in, and decided that I would bypass Prince Edward Island. I had wanted to visit, but given the weather neither the bridge nor the ferry were likely to be an enjoyable experience.

As I approached the exit for the road leading to the PEI ferry the sun poked out from behind a cloud and the drizzle stopped. Once again my plans changed as I swung to the right and headed to check out the ferry schedule. It only runs every few hours so I was still not sure how long the wait would be. Reaching the terminal I was waved to the front of the line, and an announcement came over the loudspeaker that the ferry was about to begin boarding. Perfect timing.

post-15151-0-44708700-1309219360_thumb.j

The tiedowns on this ferry were much thinner, and the boat was smaller. They only wanted bikes secured by two tie-down points, so I quickly clipped the bike in and headed upstairs to check out this boat. Definitely a different feel from the cruise ship that traversed the strait between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Seating was much more utilitarian, and there was a small cafeteria which attracted the majority of passengers.

post-15151-0-15088800-1309219371_thumb.j

I discovered that there was an outside deck where I could stand and watch the ferry pull away from the shore. The camera got a very good workout as the boat pulled past a lighthouse. I went around the other side of the boat and discovered access to a top outside deck. Concrete benches were set up, but very few people were upstairs. The day was still a bit brisk, but I decided that the best ferry experience would be one with a view that didn't include the inside of the ship or people watching. What a gorgeous view! I watched a few fishing trawlers go past. few people emerged from the lower section of the boat, but quickly returned to the heated section of the boat.

post-15151-0-19216700-1309219382_thumb.j

post-15151-0-99688400-1309219457_thumb.j

The 45 minute ferry ride passed quickly, and it was much more of a water experience than the larger ferry where there was little to see courtesy of the foggy weather that had graced both cruises. Approaching Prince Edward Island I noticed short reddish cliffs topped with bright emerald green grass. On one side of the ship we passed a picturesque white whitehouse. This one provided a much better photo opportunity than before. A blast on the horn sounded, and I waited on top of the ferry for it to finish docking. After the ferry docked I headed downstairs to find the ferry deserted. Apparently the rules on the smaller ferries were a bit different. For the larger ferry passengers were not allowed on a vehicle deck until the deck had finished docking due to transport Canada regulations. The smaller ferry had different rules. I raced down the stairs and to my bike, undoing the restraints, and pulling on the helmet just in time to follow the biker who had parked ahead of me off the ship. I felt a bit rushed, but that went away quickly as I took in what the tiny island had to offer. It had a very different feel from the rest of the Maritimes and I was glad that I had taken the time for this particular detour.

post-15151-0-94602200-1309219489_thumb.j

The tiny island was very picturesque. Emerald green grass, red clayish soil, tiny white houses with sharply peaked roofs that almost resembled cottages, red barns... almost how a child would picture the countryside. It was like I had always pictured the English countryside – although my bike certainly hadn't left Canada yet. Roads were narrow, one lane each direction with some areas permitting passing. It was unrushed. Signs along the side of the roadway pointed the way to tourist attractions – local businesses offering pottery, the cottage of Anne of Green Gables, beaches, golf... the list went on.

The ride was a slow, almost lazy pace. Roads weren't technically challenging, but the island for some reason dictated a chance of pace. There was no rush to get anywhere. Perhaps the 45 minute ride on the ferry put me in the mindset – I wasn't in any hurry, I just sat on the bike and took it in. Much the way I took on the ride. It was almost disappointing when I entered the outskirts of Charlottetown with evidence of heavy industry and the feeling of a bustling city. Somehow it seemed out of place on the small island.

I skirted Charlottetown quickly, and then continued to drive through the countryside. The western part of the province wasn't as geared towards tourists as the eastern section had been. Fewer signs pointed the way towards tourist attractions and the feel was different.

As I approached the Confederation Bridge to leave the island I passed a number of campgrounds. PEI would have been an ideal place to spend the night, but I was destined to continue on further that day so I rode onwards. Paying the toll at the bridge I looked around for a good place to take a few photographs. Nothing was evident from this side of the island, but the woman at the toll bridge suggested a good pulloff on the other side of the bridge.

The bridge opened up in front of me. I had heard a lot about it – talking to a couple of other bikers earlier in the day I wasn't sure what to expect. They hadn't enjoyed the experience at all and were very happy to hear about the ferry as an alternative to leaving the island. Certainly the bridge had a reputation.

Reading up about the bridge brought to light a few interesting facts. The Confederation Bridge is the world's longest bridge over ice covered waters spanning eight miles of water. For wide loads the bridge is be closed to two way traffic for periods of up to fifteen minutes. Pedestrians and cyclists are not allowed on the bridge, however a shuttle service is available for them. Drivers with vertigo can actually request help to shuttle their vehicle across the bridge. That says a lot right there about this particular bridge.

Entering the bridge I noted it was narrow, only one lane going each direction. A very narrow shoulder extended to either side of the thin concrete ribbon that stretched out across the expanse of water. The edges of the bridge were concrete barricades, just like the ones I was accustomed to seeing in construction zones or between lanes of traffic on the freeway. Light poles extended along the bridge like a row of toothpicks far into the distance. Every so often traffic lights were evident at the side of the bridge, to communicate issues further along to drivers on the thin concrete ribbon.

Looking over the barricade I noted the Northumberland Strait below. In the distance there were a few boats, but an expanse of water stretched as far as the eye could see. Ahead of me the bridge stretched out into the distance, and I couldn't see land on the other end. Prince Edward Island receeded in my mirrors as I headed across the bridge. Finally New Brunswick came into view, and I pulled off the bridge and stopped at the Cape Jourimain Nature Centre which provided an opportunity to take some absolutely spectactular photos of the bridge.

post-15151-0-32955100-1309219563_thumb.j

post-15151-0-34903100-1309219597_thumb.j

Another lighthouse was also near the nature centre providing another fantastic photo opportunity.

post-15151-0-32562300-1309219618_thumb.j

After walking around for a while, I continued heading south across New Brunswick taking some secondary highways and finally finding a place to spend the night near Moncton. Another day was in the books.

Its too bad you were a little behind olive. I would have offered you a little couch and a lift to do an oil change. I live 20 min from the bridge. You're pictures are really some of the best I've seen for capturing the lazy, comfortable attitude of small town Maritimes.

It's really interesting to see the opinions and thoughts of someone from a bigger area laid out like this in reference to small town. It makes me wonder how I'll feel when I cross the country going east to west instead and hitting bigger busier places.

Thanks for taking us along on your ride!

• Member Contributer

It's really interesting to see the opinions and thoughts of someone from a bigger area laid out like this in reference to small town. It makes me wonder how I'll feel when I cross the country going east to west instead and hitting bigger busier places.

The thing about a trip of this nature is that everything is the same, yet everything is different.

It isn't always easy to update on the road given that I have a propensity to longwinded posts and I want to share photos. I seem to be doing a quick update here and there, and then return to share the trip properly as time permits.

Right now I am in Texas, having ridden with DarkKnight yesterday. He and his family were very generous in offering me a couch for the night. It can be a very interesting way to connect with people across the country who have a shared interest.

Continuing my westward trek I plan to hook up with Cruzinaz, AussieintheUSA, Wheatie, RRW, Backdraft and a few others in Telluride for our July 4th get together.

Archived