Penske vs. Ohlins shock

FHR

• Member Contributer

I've got the forks off my '06 off and sent to Traxxion Suspension for installation of their AK-20 fork kit and stiffer springs.

I've got an Ohlins HO-605 46HRCLS shock on order (also with stiffer spring for my weight) BUT make that back order! I can't find anyplace with one in stock! They may be made in Sweden and arrive in the US in a week or three. I thought getting one would be quick and easy. Bad thinking.

Traxxion will give me a little break on a Penske 8987 triple clicker because they are doing my forks.

The Penske has slow and fast compression damping but no remote preload adjuster. The Ohlins has a remote preload adjuster but no fast compression adjustment, only slow. Both have rebound adjustment. The Penske is available NOW! I don't know if I should wait. . . .

Can anyone tell me if the Penske is comparable in performance and durability to the Ohlins?

P87_2.jpg

46HRCLS.jpg

I have a Penske on my 07 FZ-1. There's an Ohlins on my VFR. I can't really compare the two as the bikes are quite different.

I can say that the Penske has a long threaded body and the pre-load ring works easily and smoothly. I don't find lack of hydraulic preload any problem at all.

WWWobble

While you're waitting for someone in the know !!!

I can't imagine either being wrong. But I'd rather not have to many things hanging off to try and find a place to mount them.(just something to consider).

• Member Contributer

I have the Penske and can tell you its a very fine piece of hardware. Withe the stocker shock, the rear wheel used to bounce over bumpy sections. Now with the new shock, it sticks to the road under full control. Absolutely no complaints. :fing02: I would have no problem buying another.

While I havent tried the Ohlin's, I wouldnt sweat over going for the Penske.

YES, Penske and Ohlins are the Top two manufactures IMO and are very comparable in quality.

I have a Penske on one VFR and an Ohlins on the other and love them both. For me remote pre-load isn't a big deal as I'm a set once and go rider as things don't change much for me. I would rather have the Triple adjust than remote pre-load in a heart beat, but that just adds another area you Need to learn how it effects the bike and how to adjust it.

Can't go wrong with either Top of the line shock! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

Thanks, guys; your knowledge and input are most appreciated.

This is what is so great about VFRD: the people!

• Member Contributer

+1.gif to what BR said. If you said they had an Ohlins with high and low speed compression adjustment but manual preload I would say get that one.

So I would not hesitate to get the Penske. No matter what high end shock you get I would rather have triple adjustable than the ability to easily adjust preload.

When I am solo I ride at a faster pace and when I am two up the solo setting is just right for my slower pace.

How much does Traxxion want for the Penske?

• Member Contributer

This is what Traxxion says about the Penske in their ad:

"The 8987 Triple Remote Reservoir style damper gives you preload, ride height, rebound and High/Low Speed Compression. When comparing the 8983 and the 8987 the difference is in the reservoirs, where compression damping adjustment takes place. The compression adjuster on the 8983 is a high speed compression adjuster. High speed refers to the velocity of the wheel moving up and down, not how fast the bike is moving around the track. To clarify, low speed compression is "firmness" or "feel". High speed compression is "bumps". So what does all of this mean in the real world? With ordinary racing shocks, you have to use the compression adjuster to make the bike feel firm. This works acceptably at smooth racetracks. The problems arise when you get to a bumpy track. In order to get the shock to soak bumps, you have to soften the compression damping. The result is a bike that soaks bumps, but some squat will result under acceleration. You need to be able to "dial in low speed compression" to restore chassis feel, but you won't be able to since you only have a high-speed adjuster. You are forced to compromise. This is where the triple-adjustable Penske becomes a critical component for professional racers. You are able to adjust for bumps and feel independently, and there is no compromise. The most interesting effect of this shock is that once your bike is set up to have a firm feel and be compliant over bumps, you will be able to return a smooth track and change little or nothing. The bike will not need to soak as many bumps, and it will still feel firm. It is state-of-the-art!"

You guys got me thinking that's not just hype!

I've had Penske in the past and really liked it. With the VFR I do a lot of 2-up and wanted the remote preload option which you know Penske doesn't offer. It was down to Ohlins or Wilbers and since I got in on the group buy here on VFRD, the Wilbers was considerably cheaper and still ordered to my specs (weight, type of riding, etc). As Seb said, it has remote preload along with high and low speed comp dampening.

For a bike that I don't do 2-up riding on (my old VTR), the Penske was great. It got set once and stayed there for 5 years. No remote preload was needed.

Wilbers also offers very nice shocks at a good price, they have rebound, hi/lo comp and also hydraulic preload as options.

Wilbers also has a length adjuster (10mm) as a option

• Member Contributer

Any after market shock will be a huge upgrade from stock, but I'd wait the 2 weeks for the Ohlins. I would always go with the premium equipment, even if it cost a bit more.

Wilbers also offers very nice shocks at a good price, they have rebound, hi/lo comp and also hydraulic preload as options.

Yes, and now that you mention it, you can choose your spring and adjuster colors too.

I have experience in the "biz" and will say that Penske is every bit as good as Ohlins and is being used by top teams in top forms of racing where suspension really matters like F1 and MotoGP,

so I would compare them side by side and make a decision based on Price, Features and Availability, not on "Bling factor". Triple adjustable Penske sounds like a better deal.

I will add that I don't work for Penske and do have Ohlins on my race bike because at the time it was a better choice from what was available.

• Member Contributer

I've used both Penske and Ohlins on various track and street bikes. Both shocks are very good quality. You won't go wrong with either.

High speed compression/rebound adjustment for a street bike is probably of dubious value. Even most track riders don't know how to adjust the high speed circuits; most simply adjust to mid-range and never touch it afterwards. It's hard enough to get the low speed circuits properly adjusted. For street riding, with the wide variation in pavement you experience, you'll probably never have anything other than a compromise setup anyhow.

The remote preload adjustment on the Ohlins can be handy when you want to reset ride height for the times you carry a passenger or bags. But even that adjustment is only a partial fix for the added weight. You really need stiffer springs, too!

So, for a street bike, the differences between the 2 shocks will not likely be any real world advantage.

I'd recommend that you go with the Penske, if for no other reason than you're already spending a fortune at Traxxion for the AK-20's. The Traxxion folks will know how to setup the Penske, and they can give you good advice for working with the combination of the AK-20's and the Penske shock. The better customer service and single source of advice is more important than the shock differences.

Finally, one advantage to the Penske is that replacement parts are less expensive than Ohlins, and the Penske tends to be easier to transfer to other bikes.

You'll love the improvement over the stock suspension stuff! These suspension upgrades really do make a huge difference. Good luck!

• Member Contributer

I should have mentioned in my OP that both the Ohlins and Penske shocks I'm looking at have height, i.e. length adjustment.

• Member Contributer

I've used both Penske and Ohlins on various track and street bikes. Both shocks are very good quality. You won't go wrong with either.

High speed compression/rebound adjustment for a street bike is probably of dubious value. Even most track riders don't know how to adjust the high speed circuits; most simply adjust to mid-range and never touch it afterwards. It's hard enough to get the low speed circuits properly adjusted. For street riding, with the wide variation in pavement you experience, you'll probably never have anything other than a compromise setup anyhow.

The remote preload adjustment on the Ohlins can be handy when you want to reset ride height for the times you carry a passenger or bags. But even that adjustment is only a partial fix for the added weight. You really need stiffer springs, too!

So, for a street bike, the differences between the 2 shocks will not likely be any real world advantage.

I'd recommend that you go with the Penske, if for no other reason than you're already spending a fortune at Traxxion for the AK-20's. The Traxxion folks will know how to setup the Penske, and they can give you good advice for working with the combination of the AK-20's and the Penske shock. The better customer service and single source of advice is more important than the shock differences.

Finally, one advantage to the Penske is that replacement parts are less expensive than Ohlins, and the Penske tends to be easier to transfer to other bikes.

You'll love the improvement over the stock suspension stuff! These suspension upgrades really do make a huge difference. Good luck!

Thanks! I very much appreciate the benefit of your experience. And I can't tell you how much those last sentences eased my mind over my choice to lay out so much cash for this suspension upgrade. Whew!

I also know, as Monk has reminded me, getting it dialed in with the help of a pro will be critical.

• Member Contributer

What is the best site to purchase the Penske?

I am dealing with Traxxion Dynamics. They are installing their AK-20 cartridge kit in my forks. Here's a link Traxxion Dynamics

• Member Contributer

I use the preload adjuster on my Ohlins somewhat frequently, usually when loading up the luggage. However, switching out springs is much easier on the Penske, it's do it yourself vs. the special spring compressor needed for the Ohlins. It's a toss up between the two imho...

• Member Contributer

Update. I've ordered the Penske shock from Traxxion. Penske will build it and ship it next week, directly to me. The forks are on the bench at Traxxion and will be shipped out to me Monday.

Now, as Tom Petty sang, "the waiting is the hardest part."

• Member Contributer

Damn, forgot all about having a Penske on my '06 GSXR600 track bike too. :blush:

I got it from Traxxion as well. Good people to deal with.

So you're saying it works so well you don't give it a second thought? :biggrin:

Archived