2006 VFR 800 VTec Jap spec derestrict???

Guest NielVFR

Question

Guest NielVFR

Hi Guys

I need your help.

I bought a Japanese spec VFR 800 VTec, and found that it has a speed restriction of 112mph/180kmh, regardless of what gear/revs.

How do I remove/ derestrict it?

I've searched on this forum, and found nothing. Google searches got me a few pic's and an explanation on removing a bridge on the speed curcuit board (next to J2, if that means anyting), but it's not to clear.

I don't want to break anything, so I hope you knowledgeable folk can help me out.

TIA

• Member Contributer

Huh...that sucks. Mine is limited to about 150 mph but that's just because that is about as fast as she will go. :goofy:

Good luck with that one.

Huh...that sucks. Mine is limited to about 150 mph but that's just because that is about as fast as she will go. :goofy:

Good luck with that one.

YOU DOG LOL!:laughing6-hehe:

Man I didnt know japan henders their own bikes like that

id say the op needs an amercian ECM

• Member Contributer

It sucks big time.

Here is a link to the pic's where the limiter is supposedly removed by removing a jumper.

http://zensan.jp/sub00_1.html

Based on the link you just posted I'm not sure I understand your issue. The pic is small, but "removing the jumper" simply entails taking off a piece that is connecting two pins on the board so they are no longer together. Does that make sense?

You could heat it up and desolder it.

IF it works and you can go faster it's solved. If not just resolder... Weird?

quote name='NielVFR' timestamp='1296686530' post='758283']

It sucks big time.

Here is a link to the pic's where the limiter is supposedly removed by removing a jumper.

http://zensan.jp/sub00_1.html

Lousy Engrish translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fzensan.jp%2Fsub00_1.html

Looks to me like the J2 jumper gets snipped with a very tiny pair of sidecutters so it is no longer connected pin to pin.

Seems VERY simple to do.

I hate to be the one to say it, but is this a track bike?

Well, I really don't wanna start talking out my backside here, but probably not......... I dunno, I was watching Top Gear where they took a GT-R to the track in Japan and the speed limiter turned itself off. Maybe this is just a feature of that particular car though, I'm not sure exactly how that works. If somebody here that is more familiar with Japan's speed limiting laws and how the GT-R changes itself once it gets to the track, please educate me, I really don't know.

Either way, dude really, 112MPH, I hit that merging on the highway around here!!!!!!!!!! :comp13: :cheerleader: :bliss:

• Member Contributer

Aww, come on now. I'm not an unsafe rider and I've never gotten a ticket while on the bike, but I'd be willing to bet 98% of the people on this forum have gotten their VFR over 112mph. (I usually do it shifting from 3rd to 4th gear)

If I had a jap spec VFR I'd want to take the speed limiter off. Any machine I own I want to be able to take it to it's max performance in all areas, even if I never actually do it. My Dodge Ram has a speed limiter at 120 mph. I've owned it for 5 years never had it over 100mph, but one day I'd like to get a Superchip for it and one of the things I would do with it is remove the speed limiter, even though I can never see myself ever taking my truck over 100mph.

I reckon J2 isn't connected from the start of picture 1. There is only a small hole on the righthand side of J2 on the right side connector,and as far as i can see on the 2nd picture the hole is taken out or made bigger. J2 isn't connected from the start. Help me out oaks,i'm desprate!

• Member Contributer

You guys sleeping that side or what!?! You guys seem clever! Help a wingman out! Regards.

great 4th post................ :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I had our translator here at work review it, the google translation is pretty close

you need to cut the jumper at J2 (this is for the tachometer) with a small pair of diagonal cutters just as Canuck suggested.

Do not enlarge any hole that you see.

You stated that "you reckon J2 isn't connected from the start", does that mean that you are only guessing that it is not corrected because he has already snipped it in his 4th picture and the 5th pic only show a close up this area?

It needs to be cut for (as google translation puts it) the path toward full power

Let us know after you have it out and snip it. It does say to be careful that the board is silk screened (printed) so use a sharp pair of cutters or if you want take a hot soldering iron to it as suggested above as well.

carver

ps, let us know how she feels at a buck 30 :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Aww, come on now. I'm not an unsafe rider and I've never gotten a ticket while on the bike, but I'd be willing to bet 98% of the people on this forum have gotten their VFR over 112mph. (I usually do it shifting from 3rd to 4th gear)

If I had a jap spec VFR I'd want to take the speed limiter off. Any machine I own I want to be able to take it to it's max performance in all areas, even if I never actually do it. My Dodge Ram has a speed limiter at 120 mph. I've owned it for 5 years never had it over 100mph, but one day I'd like to get a Superchip for it and one of the things I would do with it is remove the speed limiter, even though I can never see myself ever taking my truck over 100mph.

I'm not saying I have never taken the VFR above 112 while on the street (nor am I admitting that I have, for all the LEO's out there), but if it involved cutting a jumper I was only 95% sure wouldn't screw anything else up, it is something I could live with.

And just because I may or may not have speeded on public roads and gotten away with it doesn't make it right or even safe.

• Member Contributer

I'm not saying I have never taken the VFR above 112 while on the street (nor am I admitting that I have, for all the LEO's out there), but if it involved cutting a jumper I was only 95% sure wouldn't screw anything else up, it is something I could live with.

And just because I may or may not have speeded on public roads and gotten away with it doesn't make it right or even safe.

Thanks for the tip Captain Obvious, but you can't straddle the fence if you're gonna play the safety card. You going to be that guy or not? :goofy: <----- see smiley

• Member Contributer

That translation was hilarious, well worth the effort. Not sure a jumper connected to the tachometer would be a speed limiter though. I would guess it would be more of a rev limiter, don't you think? At any Case I wouldn't trust that translation.....unless of coarse, it was written on silk.....maybe.

Cup of tea anyone?

• Member Contributer

Fingers crossed............... hope it will work out as planned... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tip Captain Obvious, but you can't straddle the fence if you're gonna play the safety card. You going to be that guy or not? :goofy: <----- see smiley

+1.gif Thanks Mom!

• Member Contributer

Fingers crossed............... hope it will work out as planned... :fing02:

I'm rooting for you in my corner too... let us know how it went.

• Member Contributer

Neil, so how'd it go?

:squid: :goofy:

I may or may not have gotten mine to 150 indicated or thereabouts but the thought of being clocked at that speed just takes all the fun out of the experience. For me. But for what it's worth, it may or may not have been fun while it lasted. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Wow, trying to keep up with the safety Nazi's here and then the group that racks up the mileage...and then the high speed junkies...

I am glad I have my speedo healer set to OVERDRIVE my speedo (and therefore ODO) by 63.7%.

:offtopic:

At my last track day I was able to safely go 394 mph while adding an additional 349.8 miles to the odo wihtout a valve check...

Let us know soon Niel....before we contact your local constabulary to see if you were rounded up under some new SA Super Speeder Law. :fing02:

Well, I really don't wanna start talking out my backside here, but probably not......... I dunno, I was watching Top Gear where they took a GT-R to the track in Japan and the speed limiter turned itself off. Maybe this is just a feature of that particular car though, I'm not sure exactly how that works. If somebody here that is more familiar with Japan's speed limiting laws and how the GT-R changes itself once it gets to the track, please educate me, I really don't know.

Either way, dude really, 112MPH, I hit that merging on the highway around here!!!!!!!!!! :comp13: :cheerleader: :bliss:

It is GPS controlled. It knows where the car is. Ferrari has the same thing.

112mph is pretty low.

• Member Contributer

Let us know soon Niel....before we contact your local constabulary to see if you were rounded up under some new SA Super Speeder Law. :fing02:

I suppose they do have some spare room at Robben Island..... :laughing6-hehe:

Archived