Winter Blues

Guest Coastie

Guest Coastie

Trace

IMG_0165.jpg

All the pictures of snow and motorcycles parked for the winter have been really depressing. Trace and I could not take it any longer so we decided to head out for a day on the motorcycles.

Notice there is no snow in this picture.

IMG_0163.jpg

So we jumped on our trusty steeds and headed south to Daytona. Our roads might be straight and flat, but we make up for it with nice beaches. Notice the lack of snow.

Me

IMG_0166.jpg

After about two hours or riding we made it to Daytona to watch The Continental Tire 200. These cars don't have snow tires, so this is the only place they could race this time of year. Notice the lack of snow.

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

It was a great day of racing, and the weather could not have been better.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I just got finished covering both my bikes, removing the batteries and storing everything till I get back home in May.

I am a sad panda. :angry: :mad: :pissed:

Yaknow....we were on our bikes and at Daytona Speedway for hours and hours....and we looked everywhere for snow. I'm SO sorry to report that we didn't see a single flake. Not one damn flake. That is SO disappointing....winter seems to be passing us by. :pissed:

But we had a great time watching one of the supporting race events for the wonderful Rolex Daytona 24. In fact, we almost got run over by a golf car that was hauling NASCAR champ Jimmie Johnson back to his semi. (he's driving a Gainsco car in the 24hr race) We heard some little kid yelling "Jimmie, Jimmie, Jimmie, Jimmie", so we turned and there he was, jumping off the cart and signing this kid's hat or whatever.

DAYTONA BEACH Today's Rolex 24 at Daytona will be Jimmie Johnson's seventh attempt at winning sports car racing's crown jewel. Based on Friday's final practice session, it might be his best. The Chevrolet-powered Riley sports car for Johnson, Alex Gurney and Jon Fogarty was the fastest in the 49-car field. It posted a quick lap of 127.044 mph on the 3.56-mile Daytona International Speedway road course, perhaps signaling the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team finally found a solution to some mechanical problems on Thursday.

But even better was the time we spent in the garages and pits, loving all the fantastic racecars that will be doing battle on Saturday and Sunday.

Oh...and Coastie ran into a group of his fellow Coast Guard guys who will be doing the flyover at the start of the race, 3:30 pm Eastern Standard Time, USA. One of them was his previous CO, so they had a great time catching up and talking cars and motorcycles....and helicopters. And chicks. Florida has chicks. :fing02:

And surprisingly, there was not much snow at all. Minor accumulations in Turns 1 and 4, and very little on the twisty infield sections. It should be all melted in time for the start of the Rolex 24 on Saturday afternoon! :pinocchio:

Yeah, it was a good day, in spite of the fact that here was no snow or freezing temps or salt & sand on our straight Florida roads. Another normal day in Paradise....

• Member Contributer

Now if they would just let you take a few laps around the speedway on the VFR . . . :woohoo: I'll bet that RC51 sounds sweet with those cans on it. Nice bikes.

btw - is that a Y2K in the garage?

I don't care how hard you try to make us jealous, you just chose to post up on one of those rare warm sunny Florida days in January. Come on! This is what it really looks like most of the winter in Florida! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :pissed:

FloridaSnow.jpg

BTW, we went out for a ride the other day as well. 4WD worked perfectly.

I'll bet that RC51 sounds sweet with those cans on it. Nice bikes. btw - is that a Y2K in the garage?

Yes, that RC sounds pretty amazing. When we were slowly chugging down Main Street in Daytona (where the madness of Bike Week takes place but is now silent and empty) on our way to the Speedway, Coastie told me that two old bearded Harley guys were nodding their heads and digging the booming noises coming from those Jardines. In fact, even the OEM pipes sound pretty good on that thing!

And yeah, that's my Y2K. Come to think of it, my RC is "Y2K", too. :idea3:

BTW, we went out for a ride the other day as well. 4WD worked perfectly.

Wow...Albany. Brrrrr..... But it's beautiful there in June! :fing02:

You guys are killing me--when I look out my window--this is all I see!!!

Hahaha.....that's a hilarious picture. I feel for ya.

And as for that picture of me on the grass at the Speedway? I was DYING to get a running start and dive onto the big, white DAYTONA and go sliding and spinning across it like the 500 winner gets to do! :squid:

However......as they let us onto the track and infield from the grandstands (via a retracting stairway at the start/finish line that you can see in the picture behind Coastie) we had already been warned to not even THINK about walking on it. :ohmy:

The new paving is sweeeeet, btw. And there was no snow on it at all! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

A Lily Allen song comes to mind.

Doing a duet with Cee Lo Green :laughing6-hehe:

Great to get out even if the roads are staright(for you)! :biggrin:

I actually got out for a little over 200 miles on Sat. as it was 62 or better here in Nashville! :cheerleader:

BR

Great to get out even if the roads are staright(for you)! :biggrin:

I actually got out for a little over 200 miles on Sat. as it was 62 or better here in Nashville! :cheerleader:

BR

I hate you guys.....I want to RIDE!! not sled, ski, skate, snowmobile....this sucks!

• Member Contributer

I got my shed up to 14 deg cel with my new propane heater and re installed my reworked 929 shock!!!! Was not one snow flake in the shed :bliss: :goofy:

We're about to get plowed again from what I hear...the "experts" can't come to an agreement on whether we're going to see 8" of snow or 1-2" of ice. Sounds like we win either way :pissed:

Ugh...PMS sucks.

We're about to get plowed again from what I hear.

It's going to be 72 here in Ponte Vedra Beach on Tuesday. No ice. No snow. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Nice report.

BUT you don't have any snow :owned:

:tongue:

HA!

This is what my street looks about now.

"They" are promising another coupla inches over the next day or two. Yes. I mean more snow :rolleyes:.

Nice report.

BUT you don't have any snow :owned:

:tongue:

HA!

This is what my street looks about now.

"They" are promising another coupla inches over the next day or two. Yes. I mean more snow :rolleyes:.

I don't even want to hear it. I live in Oswego,NY and we have the highest snowfall rate in the country (they say Syracuse but only because no one knows Oswego,lol) It doesn't come in inches here, it comes in feet. I'd like to give my parents a big F.U. for moving here from GA when I was little, lol

I hate you guys.....I want to RIDE!!

6-10" of new snow is expected to fall in the next 24 hr here in Nebraska. The freezing rain said hello this morning.

I got my shed up to 14 deg cel with my new propane heater.

We're about to get plowed again from what I hear.

"They" are promising another coupla inches over the next day or two.

I don't even want to hear it. I live in Oswego,NY and we have the highest snowfall rate in the country.

Hey guys, I don't mean to imply that it's ALWAYS warm and sunny here. For instance...I just came off the beach from a nice run, and because it was at sunset (and we have beautiful pink-teal-blue-purple skies at sunset along the ocean, unlike the grey skies from...well, "up there" :laughing6-hehe: ) the temp cooled off a bit to 60. It would have been more comfortable to have been wearing a sweatshirt instead of a tee once I got a little sweaty. :happy: So, I can sympathize with all of you who are chilly elsewhere. :goofy:

Oh...and another thing about sunrise/sunset here. As of Jan 31, I got 10 hrs-44 mins of sunlight, whereas Detroit (for instance) got only 9 hrs-57mins. Oops.....I'm wrong. Detroit didn't get ANY sunlight today..... :blush:

I'll post a video of me swinging in a hammock*, enjoying a cold beer on a perfect 72ยบ, breezy, non-humid August afternoon next time I hear about a hurricane causing a break in your ball-sweat tropical summer, ok buddy? :laughing6-hehe:

:biggrin:

*and just for the record, I meant a real hammock, NOT a Canadian "banana hammock"... :comp13: :goofy:

I'll post a video of me swinging in a hammock, enjoying a cold beer on a perfect 72ยบ, breezy, non-humid August afternoon next time I hear about a hurricane causing a break in your ball-sweat tropical summer, ok buddy? :laughing6-hehe:

Nope....I've been through that analysis already.

I lived 47 years in DC, so I know "northern" summers (and by that I mean places that have friggin' SNOW!) The summer temps here at the beach are no hotter than most northeast and Chicago/Detroit cities in July/August, nor is our humidity any worse. [seriously! I monitored "here" vs. DC and Chicago weather for two years after I moved here] The real difference is that our hot & humid days stretch from May until October instead of June-early September. And I'll admit...we're ready for a break from the heat by late October and are thrilled when we get a 65 degree morning!

But.....sadly.....it is true that we have only 11 turns in 318 miles! :pissed:

Archived