Renthal diamond grips - anyone using them? Long term grip reviews

SEBSPEED

Guest daemontrym

I ran the Kevlar renthal soft dual compound grips which is the same consistency as the soft but last longer. I had them for 5 months and they worked

pretty well but didn't last over the Az summer. I wore a whole in the palm and then replaced them.

They are softer then OEM but not overly cushy where you would loose feel. They are tacky to even the worst gloves and have a great feel to them.

Plus they get rid of some of the vibs as well, atleast on my 4th Gen.

I ran the Kevlar renthal soft dual compound grips which is the same consistency as the soft but last longer. I had them for 5 months and they worked

pretty well but didn't last over the Az summer. I wore a whole in the palm and then replaced them.

They are softer then OEM but not overly cushy where you would loose feel. They are tacky to even the worst gloves and have a great feel to them.

Plus they get rid of some of the vibs as well, atleast on my 4th Gen.

Those kevlar grips are pretty ugly though... I have a set that are being installed on someone else's bike. I prefer all black or dark grey.

Another option I'm considering are the Driven "grippy" grips. I put a set on a 4th gen I sold, but didn't get to spend more than a few minutes with them before handing the bike over to its new owner. Those are actually a few bucks cheaper than the Renthals too.

• Member Contributer

I like the "Found in a dusty corner of the shop" brand. very cheap.

020-2.jpg

I had SCOTT once and I used wire twisted on the grip ends to keep them from twisting.

Timmy? Blue? Really?

Were those not availible in (everybody say it with me) flat black?

What is the red button for? Don't be holding out on te rocket launcher mod! I want one. Then I can just make black toast out of the guy tossing trash or cigaretts out the window.

Ash me LOL Ash you!

• Member Contributer

Seb, they will work fine, not sure if are open ended but an exacto knife solves that.

Softer than oem grips but less cush than a progrip, middle of road between sport and tour.

You will like the knurled pattern, grippy and a bit sticky.

oem grips, these harris VFR grips (FIRM)

renthal (MID)

progrip (SOFT)

follow my complex chart above and if they don't work I will buy at $15 shipped

thats like a $2-$7 gamble, can you do it?

• Member Contributer

I used the firm , because they felt as good as stock or better. I like a firm grip on the bars and have never liked soft compound grips. I'd say it was the best $10 I have ever spent on a motorcycle. I have used them on 2 or 3 different bikes.

If you have some miles on a set of Renthal's medium or firm grips, can you please give a comparison to the stock grips?

Thanks!

post-20437-0-04020300-1295795941_thumb.j

Med Rental's, all I will ever use. They are like having your hand glued to the bars.

• 7 months later...

Small update on this... I went with the Driven "grippy" grips. Dual compound and are comfortable, grippy, and a bit thicker than oem.

Overall I like them a lot, took me a little bit to get used to the thicker grip. Ultimately they are more comfortable, easier to use, and allow for somewhat smoother control. Only downside so far, is that they are wearing out quickly.

Stockers, from '99, still going great! :)

I didn't mind the stock grips at all. I was looking for something with more grip to ease strain on my wrist, which in turn helps to relieve my carpal tunnel pain.

• Member Contributer

Wow - I cant think of a sporty type bike I have had, when in the first day of ownership, I didnt razor off the stock grips, and throw on Pro Grip 699s.

(Cruisers are different animal. ...)

• Member Contributer

Seb, if your still interested, you can check mine out at the Catskills ride. I've got the medium on my 06. I'm on my second set, very happy with them.

grips.jpg

SEB,

Have the same as 46alpha (I think they're made for quads?), installed them about 6 months ago.

They increase the grip diameter (for me is more comfortable as I have big hands) and provide very precise grip.

Guest daemontrym

I have had good luck with Renthal grips on my bike, I bought the dual density kevlar ones. My main problem with them is the southern Arizona sun because if you commute on your bike out here the grips don't last very long. I ended up getting a set of grip puppies and they work great, I have had them a little over a year now and they still look great.

• Member Contributer

I didn't mind the stock grips at all. I was looking for something with more grip to ease strain on my wrist, which in turn helps to relieve my carpal tunnel pain.

Seb,

I got a pair of the "grip puppies" to slip over the OEM grips which were starting to feel loose. The change in size has indeed given a little more control, and they are very comfortable. Great for 10 bucks!

• 1 month later...

Small update on this... I went with the Driven "grippy" grips. Dual compound and are comfortable, grippy, and a bit thicker than oem.

Overall I like them a lot, took me a little bit to get used to the thicker grip. Ultimately they are more comfortable, easier to use, and allow for somewhat smoother control. Only downside so far, is that they are wearing out quickly.

So to update this again, I put the Driven grips on at the beginning of this season, back in April. The throttle side is worn quite a bit, it's smoothing out so I have less grip. Will order up some Renthals for next season and see if they last any longer.

• Member Contributer

So to update this again, I put the Driven grips on at the beginning of this season, back in April. The throttle side is worn quite a bit, it's smoothing out so I have less grip. Will order up some Renthals for next season and see if they last any longer.

Seb,

The Driven grips you installed had great feel, vibration damping and were comfortable but are unfortunately smooth and worn now after about 8000 miles. I liked them though

• 6 months later...

Seb,

The Driven grips you installed had great feel, vibration damping and were comfortable but are unfortunately smooth and worn now after about 8000 miles. I liked them though

Same here after much less mileage. Only upside to the way they have worn out, is that I can easily see where my pressure points are on the bars and that might help me find a bit more relief.

I just ordered the ugly Renthal kevlar grips, I know they will feel great, not sure how long they'll last. If they wear out super fast again I'll try a model from Pro Grip.

I'll post pics later, I only put 3-5000mi on with the Driven grips and they are harder to hold onto now than the stock grips, they seem to have hardened up and/or they just got slick enough to diminish my grip.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered the ugly Renthal kevlar grips, I know they will feel great, not sure how long they'll last. If they wear out super fast again I'll try a model from Pro Grip.

I was about 16,000 miles into my Progrip 719's with my previous bike. Plenty of life left in them until that fateful day....