Sport-Touring Chaps?

flavadave

• Member Contributer

Check out the Tour Master Decker Over pants. Full leather, armor and they zip all the way up the side which makes them easy to get them on and off. I wear them over my work clothes all the time. And as an added bonus, they have a full circumference zipper that attaches to my Cortech leather Jacket. Definitely better looking than chaps.

http://www.newenough.com/street/pants/sport_leather_pants/tour_master/decker_leather_motorcycle_overpant.html

Newenough doesn't have the sizing info up yet. How do they fit? Are they long?

I bought some leather overpants, but they don't have any armor on the knees or padding on the hips, so I'm looking to replace them with something like these.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

"Do people wear chaps on a sportbike?"

Yes, those people have a name.

They are the Village People.

Y M C A it's fun to play at the Y M C Aay

• Member Contributer

"Do people wear chaps on a sportbike?"

Yes, those people have a name.

They are the Village People.

Y M C A it's fun to play at the Y M C Aay

exactly what I was thinking..

I''m guessing guys on sport bikes that would wear chaps are also the same kind of people that would wear back armour over a wife-beater ...and no jacket.

and I believe Motorhead's lady-friend wore chaps because they couldn't find anything else that would fit her diminutive size.

• Member Contributer

One of the BIGGEST things I have never understood about the "Cruiser Crowd" is not their affection for the low n slow but their affinity for chaps and shorty helmets. My two most important parts of my body that I do not want scraped, razzed, cut, bruised, or otherwise compromised in any manner is my face and my ass. However, if you chose chaps for a sport bike I guess that's better than nothing and I never recommend nothing. Just wear a full faced helmet so they don't who you are! JMO

Does the motorcycling world look down on someone wearing chaps on a Sport or Sport-Touring bike? Whats the unwritten rule on chaps? Do I have to ride a cruiser or Harley? Taking my over pants on and off can be a real pain in the arse. Frankly I do not wear the over pants to cut out the cold but rather to block the wind. I am looking at these close outs on leather chaps thinking they would be practical. However, I do not want to look like an idiot either. Is it because I live in the midwest that I have never seen this before? Life here is still a bit biased because there are so many people in this aera that call themselves "bikers" because that is what they like to think of themselves. Although with 2500 people working in this building I only see one bike, mine.

So what is the feeling? Are chaps just not excepted in the minds of Sport-Touring riders?

If that is the case then I will just keep doing what I have been doing, I have no desire to shrug off the Sport-Touring crowd also. Lord knows I march to the beat of my own drum as it is.

I wear sterns breathable water proof pants, excellent for wind, Ive worn them for years, really nice and functional

• Member Contributer

Wear what you want and don't worry about what others think. Most people will not really care when they see you, they will probably be more focused on the bike. besides, I really don't consider the VFR a sportbike :squid:

Chaps were designed for Hot women in thongs, they serve no other purpose IMO! :cool:

BR

Seems to me 'Hot women' look good in Anything, chaps included...or nothing now that I think of it.

PS. Excuse me to all the gals out there...for writing what all the guys were thinking... :blush:

Brian

• Member Contributer

Chaps are part of a costume. Costumes aren't appropriate on any bike. But if you have to wear them, for God's sake wear some Kevlar lined riding pants under them. No nurse should have to change the bandages on your arse.

• Member Contributer

village people ! Damn that was funny.

well i guess my feelings are going to remain the same. i will be looking for easier to use overpants with some protection.

this has been a fun post

textile or leather seems to be the next big question and why would you pick it.

pros and cons

i will be looking for easier to use overpants with some protection.

textile or leather seems to be the next big question and why would you pick it.

pros and cons

Can't beat leather for abrasion protection, but textile over pants offer padding, warmth & water resistance. Cheaper too! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Chaps were designed for Hot women in thongs, they serve no other purpose IMO! :cool:

BR

Amen.

• Member Contributer

BR

Exactly, I never understood what they're supposed to do other than keeps the bugs off of your jeans.

If you want protection and convience do it right..

155_5a.jpg

I wouldnt, but what do I know. I was told that I couldnt go sport touring with motocross boots on........

prpv.jpg

I mean I would rather go down in chaps over jeans than just jeans, but that will never happen because I never ride in just jeans. I guess the point is do the best you can until you find the best stuff suited for you.

• Member Contributer

"I had that same dilemma" I agree it is a bit of a dilemma and that is why I posted the question. Not everyone rides on a tracks to get to work. Not everone wears full leathers. I am just average. I ride to work and it is 35 to 45 degrees on my way in right now. I only ride for about 25 minutes. It is not like I am wearing less than a pair of jeans I just want to keep my legs out of the wind. So I looked at the practical side of the chap and why it was used in motorcycles and ot just horse back. I am guessing it is not brush so it ust be wind. Anyway I am going to look at some zipping overpants and see what I can find that looks semi-normal and still functional.

Sorry for piling on but ... commuting is probably one of the more dangerous activities. You're sleepy, maybe thinking of work, roads can be slippery with dew and the overnight road oil and squishy little critters if you're early. And face it - the other commuters are in the same situation and unlike you they are all assholes.

Your tires probably weren't designed for grip below 40 degrees F.

I crashed while on my 10 mile commute. It was a bright sunny 20 degree F day and it was the fifth turn on my route. So my tires were cold, I was sleepy, I was thinking of work and I was being an asshole. I broke my leg and rode luge down the street in my Cortec overpants. They worked very well, which is good since I spent 2 months on my backside recovering.

• Member Contributer

Check out the Tour Master Decker Over pants. Full leather, armor and they zip all the way up the side which makes them easy to get them on and off. I wear them over my work clothes all the time. And as an added bonus, they have a full circumference zipper that attaches to my Cortech leather Jacket. Definitely better looking than chaps.

http://www.newenough.com/street/pants/sport_leather_pants/tour_master/decker_leather_motorcycle_overpant.html

Those look like nice pants and do just what you said. Then I heard myself say "holy crap" when I saw the price. Not that I have not spent more on less used items but, I still puckered.

What did you find was the rule when ordering? How many sizes did you go up to be comfortable? It seems to me some companys run over pants larger and some dont.

I wear 32"-33" waist jeans/pants. I got a size medium Decker (34 on the tag) and they fit great over dress pants or jeans. Not too tight, not too loose.

• Member Contributer

Those look like nice pants and do just what you said. Then I heard myself say "holy crap" when I saw the price. Not that I have not spent more on less used items but, I still puckered.

Imagine yourself stuck at home with a big strawberry of road rash(or worse). Now, imagine someone telling you that for $250 they could wave a magic wand and make it go away... would you pay the $250, or would you suffer? :warranty:

See!!!! That's why I'm a Sebspeed groupee!!!biggrin.giffing02.gif Exactly, Seb

• Member Contributer

What did you find was the rule when ordering? How many sizes did you go up to be comfortable? It seems to me some companys run over pants larger and some dont.

I wear 32"-33" waist jeans/pants. I got a size medium Decker (34 on the tag) and they fit great over dress pants or jeans. Not too tight, not too loose.

Right on. :fing02: I am looking at options now.

I ride commute to work and ride in the winter. I rode a crusier before getting a sportbike and wore chaps and they looked funny then. They look just as funny on a sportbike. I wear jeans or pants and use dirtbike knee/shin guards under my pants. In the winter I use leather overpants with the pants and knee/shin guard combination. You can find some good Leather overpants pretty cheap without armour for $100.00 - $200.00. The nicer ones are the Auto Mag Leather overpants by Icon and the First Gear Kwik Dry Leather overpants. I also have a pair of the TourMaster Deker leather pants which are very nice but pricey (woth the money I gotta admit). There are pics and links below. The links for the overpants are at Jammin Leathers.

knee/shin pads SectorKnee.jpgThor Knee Pads

Leather Overpants mp506_0062.jpgLeather Overpants

Weather Resistant Leather Trim Overpants good for summer riding MPC7600_3608.JPGWeather Resistant Leather Trim Overpants

Archived