Time to pack it in.

Guest rc36Honda

Guest rc36Honda

It's been one of the toughest, yet one of the easiest decsions that I've ever had to make, but I've decided to hang up the helmet. The morning after the accident I woke up and decided that I couldn't put my wonderful family and this tired old body through this pain again, so it was time to quit.

Some will undoubtedly ply me with wise sayings like getting back on the horse that threw you, or point out to me examples of people who have ridden well into their old age.

All of this is fair, but they don't apply to me.

Fact is, I have enjoyed an exhilirating 37 years of riding and I can, and do, leave with no regrets (except for the amount of time that my hedonistic passion has kept me away from my wife and children). Yes, there's a couple of things on my bucket list that won't get done - ride Tasmania, ride around Australia, but I can live with that.

I've commuted, scratched, tracked and toured. I've used the bike every opportunity that I could, and, yes, I've MADE opportunities as well. I've ridden in sun, rain, sleet, ice and every other condition as well.

I count myself incredibly fortunate to have had the myriad of experiences I've had, and to still be alive after the ferocious event of a fortnight ago. I know some riders who have only been able to ride for a few years before they have had to pack it in.

So, what do I have to complain about? Nothing.

I cherish every memory and I am grateful beyond words for the wonderful friends and acquaintances that I have been able to make. The support and encouragement that I have received since the accident from my friends and mates and even people I have never met, has been overwhelming. It has proven what I have always said that motorcyclists are the best people on the planet. Harley or Honda, scooter or full-dress cruiser, you meet the nicest people on motorcycles.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you are making the decision for all the right reasons.

I've witnessed some horrific motorcycle wrecks over the past two years, and had one of my own six years ago.

I've taken breaks but can't shake the power the sport has on me. As I get older I certainly hear that little voice in the back of my head more often saying "make good decisions, slow down, take care…."

Good for you.

All the best.

37 years eh! Well it's about time you quit you greedy bastige! At least you didn't get cheated overall. I didn't get started until I was 50, so I guess by the time I reach 87 I'll be fed up too. :cool:

Life is a journey, enjoy the ride! :fing02: :fing02:

Brian

Excellent run you had there and fantastic family to put up with it! :fing02:

Congrats on your decision and thanks for sharing your thoughts on it all with us!

Please remain a member here and keep sharing those 37 years of experience that you have accumulated with the rest of us! :beer:

BR

PS heal quickly and fully!

37 years eh! Well it's about time you quit you greedy bastige! At least you didn't get cheated overall. I didn't get started until I was 50, so I guess by the time I reach 87 I'll be fed up too.

Brian

PS. Man, it's deja vu all over again, feels like I've already said that before... :comp13:

37 years eh! Well it's about time you quit you greedy bastige! At least you didn't get cheated overall. I didn't get started until I was 50, so I guess by the time I reach 87 I'll be fed up too.

Brian

PS. Man, it's deja vu all over again, feels like I've already said that before... :comp13:

I'll certainly be retaining my membership. My passion for the V4 remains unabated. Thanks for the good wishes, guys.

Hi RC,

I understand the dilemma. My accident was early in my riding career and was a wake-up call. I also remember the day my firstborn understood what sport his daddy was into when he saw me leave on a circle tour around Lake Superior here in Minnesota. I remember thinking, should I throw in the towel before he wants to do this as too? Now, two sons are riders (15 and 11) and I think I've committed them to the sport... Sometimes wondering if it is best. We have had great times though!

Consider being a Honda aficionado by reading, posting, and maybe restoring an older bike (and selling it). Buy a fried VF and take it apart for the fun of it. Build a V4 lawn tractor or something!

Just don't walk away from what you love, even though you won't be on the road anymore. I respect your choice and encourage you to keep connected to the nicest people.... Blessings.

Hi RC,

I understand the dilemma. My accident was early in my riding career and was a wake-up call. I also remember the day my firstborn understood what sport his daddy was into when he saw me leave on a circle tour around Lake Superior here in Minnesota. I remember thinking, should I throw in the towel before he wants to do this as too? Now, two sons are riders (15 and 11) and I think I've committed them to the sport... Sometimes wondering if it is best. We have had great times though!

Consider being a Honda aficionado by reading, posting, and maybe restoring an older bike (and selling it). Buy a fried VF and take it apart for the fun of it. Build a V4 lawn tractor or something!

Just don't walk away from what you love, even though you won't be on the road anymore. I respect your choice and encourage you to keep connected to the nicest people.... Blessings.

Thanks, mate, that is excellent advice. I'm certainly not severing my connection with motorcycling, and, especially VFR'S.

37 years is a very respectable riding career. Good luck to you and remember...you can always change your mind, no law against that is there? But if you persist in this most un-gratifying course of action, you need something else to pour that energy into, maybe boating? Flying? Skiing?

Find something new and cool to do.

Best of luck!

37 years is a good run, you've obviously thought this decision through and chosen your priority...your "retirement" is well deserved my friend. Good luck and live both long and well.

I echo everyone's comments above, it sounds like you have made the right decision for you and your family. It may be tough though next summer when you see all those bikes out and about - hell even after a few days 'grounded' I start to miss my bike.

Take care and stick around for sure :fing02:

Its so easy for us to say from the comfort of our keyboards "NO, just get back on a bike"

But you know whats best for you and your family. The good thing is you dont have to give VFRD up, and lets face it, most of us type more than we ride anyway :laughing6-hehe:

whatever you do, enjoy it and enjoy your family.

• Member Contributer

Good Write-up on Your decision. Having ridden for 40+ years myself, I understand every word. Had it not been for Car Racing as part of my living (...sometimes most all of it), and developing a mindset of having to "strap back in regardless", I too have had "motorcycle wrecks/experiences" that would have made it very easy to walk away from the Sport I love. My Life I view in various Motor Sport Chapters...each one a Great Experience, and each one gradually became a "closed chapter"....GOOD LUCK on Your NEW CHAPTERS......skuuter.... :fing02:

God speed a fast complete recovery for you! Important decisions come when we have moments of clarity and know absolutely that we are making the right choice. Enjoy your family. Our time with loved ones is always far too short and they (or you) can not be replaced. Memories are wonderful but empty compared to the reality of having those we love still with us. Bless you and your family. Enjoy every moment with them!

• Member Contributer

Friend, enjoy your life, and a speedy recovery. I find it hard to believe when I look back at some of my "scrapes" that I am still here. I grapple with my passion for motorcycling a great deal.

years ago, the local tuner wanted me to go racing with him. He used to tell all of the other locals that I could "ride the wheels off that thing", referring to my VFR. In that same time frame, during my more squiddish years, I ran off from a turbo RX7, flaunting my power to weight by wheelying away from every stop light that I waited for him at...turns out the fellow was in from Charlotte. He caught up to me at a bar, and bought me a couple G&Ts (I used to drink and ride...already confessed the squiddish ways), and asked if I "could drive a car like" I "rode that bike". My response that I could run anything with wheels faster than anybody else apparently intrigued him. He then asked if I wanted to come to Charlotte and back that up in a Roush Racing car...I never went, but struggled with the decision for a couple weeks. I was getting my Biochemistry degree, working two jobs and hoping for medical school then (15-16 years ago). I was concentrating too much on running around on that bike, getting to work, school, etc.

Now, I am back in school, and I prioritize school and family way ahead of bikes...so I don't ride as much as I used to. Maybe 4k miles this year. I have a Yamaha XT600 that need some love and some riding, a 90VFR that need rebuilding (started, never finished), my wifes rebel gets some love now and then, and the 98VFR that I go to school on most days gets a little love, but no *real* riding.

What's the point? You have your priorities in the generally accepted correct order. Enjoy your life. If you choose to come back to riding, it will be there. If not, you have dared something for 37 years that many are to afraid to even try. You have lived life probably more fully than many will ever know. Share that with you family! I may quit, for awhile, or for good - who knows!?- just because I am prioritizing other things. I have been thinking about it. Not there yet, but we shall see! My priorities were wrong then, but I liked it. They are different now, and I like the way my life is. It's better now than ever. Wish I could ride more, but like the Stones say "you can't always get what you want..."

I am glad you are out of the hospital. All the best on your recovery! Good luck on the next phase!!

Glad to hear you're home. It's a very understandable decision, and I'm happy it turned out to be a fairly easy one to make.

I hope I'm never in a position where I have to make that call, but in choosing between riding and my family I can guarantee family would come first. :fing02:

Why am I not surprised that, of all the forums in which I participate, the wisest, most sensible and most sympathetic advice and good wishes that I have received have been on this one? You guys are a blessing and an inspiration. Thanks so much.

Archived